The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
alkaeda
To go alongside chem and bio, i need a 3rd a lvl. I need AAA to get into medicine (resit) so can someone plz tell me the easiest subject to get an A in (this sounds really bad :frown:). Ive concluded so far that ICT and Maths are one of the hardest..

I would do a subject that is 'traditional'. English literature, Ecnomics, another science (i.e. Physics), humanity subjects (e.g. geography, history), psychology, sociology would be good.
Reply 21
trev
I would do a subject that is 'traditional'. English literature, Ecnomics, another science (i.e. Physics), humanity subjects (e.g. geography, history), psychology, sociology would be good.

agreed, as i am aware med schools can be funny about subjects sometimes(due to popularity of medicine), prob a good idea to stick to those trev mentioned to be on the safe side
Reply 22
The Ace is Back
Imagination isn't hard work, and just because it achieves the least amount of A grades doesn't mean it's not easy. And by the least amount of A grades do you mean as a proportion of the total amount of candidates or just as a number to be compared alongside the number of A grades in other A-Levels? Devising plays isn't hard, if you enjoy drama and have a nack for it (otherwise why would you take it?) Why do you need to be excellent at acting to take Theatre Studies?

Devising plays are hard if you want to get an A!!!! If you want a D or E than no, they're not hard, and you do have to be extremely imaginative to get the top grades (A or B). You say that imagination isn't hard work, i'm not saying it is, i'm saying, apart from the imaginative side, their is a lot of analysing which is hard work. If you want to get an A in Theatre Studies you have to be excellent, and as this person wants to get an A, then they would need to be excellent ^o)
And more importantly, i really wish you would take the course before commenting on how easy it is! How can you possibly comment even when you haven't taken the course?!!!!!! :mad:
Reply 23
Give Geography a go. I thought it was one of my 'easier' a-levels and the content isn't too difficult, particularly at as-level. Its also seen as an 'academic' subject.
HEAD BOY
It is very respected by Oxbridge and is an extremely useful A level to have.

I am pretty sure that that is not true. Everyone I know who has been taking four A-levels including Theatre Studies who has received an Oxbridge offer has been asked for AAA excluding Theatre Studies.

Also you said noone can comment on the difficulty without having taken it. Your profile says you have just finished GCSEs - by your logic you can't comment on it either.
Reply 25
Maths is quite easy, especially now they've taken out one of the modules. It's useful if you like science. Alternatively how about Spanish for something completely different? Or Music? What are you good at?
Reply 26
HEAD BOY
It is very respected by Oxbridge and is an extremely useful A level to have.

Is it now? So what course are you doing? Which college are you at?
Reply 27
JohnStuartMill
I am pretty sure that that is not true. Everyone I know who has been taking four A-levels including Theatre Studies who has received an Oxbridge offer has been asked for AAA excluding Theatre Studies.

Also you said noone can comment on the difficulty without having taken it. Your profile says you have just finished GCSEs - by your logic you can't comment on it either.

Well, that's not the case with me, i've known many people who have taken A level Theatre Studies and have been accepted by Oxbridge, and i dare say that's true that they exclude theatre studies, in actual fact, i'm pretty sure that's bull ****. :biggrin: And yes i have just finished my GCSE's and i can comment on it, since i've been shown the syllabus, exam questions, portfolios, example of people's work, and it seems very demanding!

HEAD BOY
Reply 28
Lauren
Is it now? So what course are you doing? Which college are you at?

I'm basing my statement just like everyone else bases their statements of what are respecteable subjects! If i can't comment on what is and what is not respected, then they can't comment either! :rolleyes:
HEAD BOY
Well, that's not the case with me, i've known many people who have taken A level Theatre Studies and have been accepted by Oxbridge, and i dare say that's true that they exclude theatre studies, in actual fact, i'm pretty sure that's bull ****. :biggrin: And yes i have just finished my GCSE's and i can comment on it, since i've been shown the syllabus, exam questions, portfolios, example of people's work, and it seems very demanding!

HEAD BOY

Well how do you know others who say it is easy haven't been shown the syllabus, exam questions etc etc

? I know for a fact that it involves a lot of work and that it is a course that should not be entered into lightly - however that does not make it a respected subject by Universities. Certainly people who take the subject get Oxbridge offers- that is the case with every subject I should imagine but it is true that Oxbridge do often request three As excluding Theatre Studies - my best friend received such an offer for Corpus Christi, Cambridge. If you don't believe me, here iis an example of a student from Oxbridge-admissions who received an Oxford PPE offer excluding Theatre Studies.
I would say take maybe psychology or sociology as people seem to find these quite easy. However, without wishing to be slated (!) they aren't the most highly regarded subjects although I would think psychology would be good for medicine and at my local 6th form college you can take the whole A Level in a year with 2 1/2 hours of teaching time a week.
Reply 31
leannemann
I would say take maybe psychology or sociology as people seem to find these quite easy. However, without wishing to be slated (!) they aren't the most highly regarded subjects although I would think psychology would be good for medicine and at my local 6th form college you can take the whole A Level in a year with 2 1/2 hours of teaching time a week.

bloody hell, i wouldnt have thought that was possible, 2 1/2 a week, theres prob a lot of home learning and they prob just give the bare minimal.
Reply 32
JohnStuartMill
Well how do you know others who say it is easy haven't been shown the syllabus, exam questions etc etc

? I know for a fact that it involves a lot of work and that it is a course that should not be entered into lightly - however that does not make it a respected subject by Universities. Certainly people who take the subject get Oxbridge offers- that is the case with every subject I should imagine but it is true that Oxbridge do often request three As excluding Theatre Studies - my best friend received such an offer for Corpus Christi, Cambridge. If you don't believe me, here iis an example of a student from Oxbridge-admissions who received an Oxford PPE offer excluding Theatre Studies.

I have seen that and i am very surprised by that! Maybe because the other 3 a levels would have been more helpful for the course?! I will admit that those other 3 A levels are more respected than Theatre Studies, but Theatre Studies is a respected course and top universities do hold degrees in drama!
Reply 33
HEAD BOY

HEAD BOY

Your colourful language makes it difficult for me to take you seriously.
You might have been shown objects a, b, c and d yet you haven't actually done anything... Have you?
stoney
bloody hell, i wouldnt have thought that was possible, 2 1/2 a week, theres prob a lot of home learning and they prob just give the bare minimal.

Does sound a bit dodgy doesn't it?! Then again I learnt the bare minimum for all my science GCSEs and that didn't hurt!
Reply 35
HEAD BOY
I'm basing my statement just like everyone else bases their statements of what are respecteable subjects! If i can't comment on what is and what is not respected, then they can't comment either! :rolleyes:

Basing your statement on what?

My remarks on respectable subjects are based on those accepted by Oxbridge, and which are required for the different degrees.

You can comment by all means, but from where are you taking your information?

Theatre studies is NOT included in offers made by Oxbridge. Performing Arts AVCE IS an acceptable subject however.
Reply 36
HEAD BOY
Theatre Studies is a respected course and top universities do hold degrees in drama!

Respected by whom?

Top universities do not offer degrees in drama. To study drama at Cambridge, you will need to take either Education Studies, or English with Drama. Oxford does not even include an option for drama on its course list.
Lauren
Theatre studies is NOT included in offers made by Oxbridge.

It has been I think, but it is rare - I know of only a single case of someone having it included in their offer for Music at Gonville & Caius.
Reply 38
Lauren
Basing your statement on what?

My remarks on respectable subjects are based on those accepted by Oxbridge, and which are required for the different degrees.

You can comment by all means, but from where are you taking your information?

Theatre studies is NOT included in offers made by Oxbridge. Performing Arts AVCE IS an acceptable subject however.

Oh, so you can comment on every sngle degree offered by Oxbridge and what they rquire! :rolleyes:

Oh, yes Theatre Studies IS included in the offer made by Oxbridge, as i have known people who have been offered a degree from Oxbridge and demand an A or B grade in Theatre Studies!

HEAD BOY
Reply 39
Lauren
Respected by whom?

Top universities do not offer degrees in drama. To study drama at Cambridge, you will need to take either Education Studies, or English with Drama. Oxford does not even include an option for drama on its course list.

So you base your assumption that Oxbridge are the only top universities?
How about looking at all the other universities and see what they offer eg Warwick, Manchester, Exeter etc.

HEAD BOY

Latest