16.35%
    15.87%
    13.94%
    30.29%

ReputationRep:
    Newest US episode

Spoiler:
    Show
    SOOOO much better than the last couple. The bomb in the hospital thing was really really suspenseful. Some classic Jack there too.

Dana can still GTFO though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    Newest US episode

Spoiler:
    Show
    SOOOO much better than the last couple. The bomb in the hospital thing was really really suspenseful. Some classic Jack there too.

Dana can still GTFO though
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I absolutely hate the stupid Dana Walsh storyline. I'm not too hot on any of the new CTU staff either. Arlo makes me chuckle a bit, but all the rest just annoy me.

ReputationRep:
    24, apparently, has been cancelled by the network! D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Mammoth)
    24, apparently, has been cancelled by the network! D:
    It's true :sad: Looks like the movie is still on though.

Clock winds down for '24'

Fox appears close to ending series run

By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER

"24's" time is almost up.

20th Century Fox TV and Fox appear ready to end the long-running hit after this season, the show's eighth.

Studio and network execs declined comment -- but it's believed that the final decision will be made in the next day or two. Move is not a huge surprise, but still reps the end of an era for Fox.

"24" helped usher in Fox's ratings surge in the 2000s, as the franchise -- along with "American Idol" and "House," among other series -- led the network's adults 18-49 ratings crown.

But the cost of producing "24" has continued to increase, while ratings have dipped. A one-time critical darling, "24" has also received its share of knocks from reviewers this season.

The studio is said to be considering shopping "24" to other nets -- but given the thriller's age and price tag, it's believed that the interest from other outlets will be limited.

But even as bell tolls for "24," the franchise is far from over. Sutherland and the "24" team have been keen on turning the show into a movie property, and have made major strides in recent months toward making that long-term goal a reality.

Twentieth Century Fox's film side recently hired scribe Billy Ray ("State of Play," "Flightplan") to pen the script for the feature version. (Daily Variety, Feb. 8.)

Ray's pitch, which takes Jack Bauer to Europe, was a hit with Fox execs and producers of the high-concept television series.

Script is said to have come through "24" star Sutherland, who's also an exec producer on the series -- and is said to be eager to turn the long-running TV skein into a movie franchise.

Such a move into the features world was considered impossible while production continued on the TV series -- given that "24" takes much of the year to produce, given its feature-like shooting schedule. But with "24" expected to end its run, the ability to focus on a movie could now finally be in sight.

"24" was created by Robert Cochran and Joel Surnow, while exec producer Howard Gordon runs the show through his Real Time Prods. banner.

Brian Grazer's Imagine Entertainment produces the show along with 20th Century Fox TV.

Sutherland has starred throughout all eight seasons as Jack Bauer, a federal agent and member of the Los Angeles Counter Terrorist Unit (and who has saved the world several times over). "24" made noise for its real time format, in which all 24 episodes take place as consecutive hours in the same day.

Although it was developed before the terrorist attacks of 9/11, "24" debuted several months afterward -- and in many ways began to mirror the changed world, given the real-life fears over terrorism and debates over torture methods. The show's depiction of an African-American president was also seen as a ground-breaking precursor to the 2008 election of Barack Obama.

Show has also won both the Emmy and the Golden Globe awards for outstanding drama, while Sutherland has scored both an Emmy and a Globe for drama actor. "24" has also received Emmy Awards for writing and directing; last year, Cherry Jones won an Emmy for supporting actress in a drama.

This season's edition of "24," which takes place in New York, stars Sutherland, Mary Lynn Rajskub, Cherry Jones, Anil Kapoor, Annie Wersching, Katee Sackhoff, Mykelti Williamson, Freddie Prinze Jr., Chris Diamantopoulos and John Boyd.

Howard Gordon, Evan Katz, David Fury, Manny Coto, Brannon Braga, Brad Turner, Alex Gansa, Kiefer Sutherland and Brian Grazer are executive producers

ReputationRep:
    This season has been tragic, I'd rather they end it now with the little dignity it has left. It's been amazing whilst it lasted (well, apart from season 6 and this season).

ReputationRep:
    This weeks episode was actually decent. I hope the movie is produced but I'll not miss the tv show too much.

Aside - I wish HBO made another series of 'Sleeper Cell' but that ended after 2 seasons.

ReputationRep:
    They can't end it.. Been watching since I was 10.

Season 8 so far isn't bad, not my favourite but I'm still hooked.. so I guess they must be doing something right. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Very good (compared to previous weeks) episode today ~ simple but more original thinking esp. at the end.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't actually expecting a good episode this season.

Well played 24.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haft_Hasht_Shish)
    Very good (compared to previous weeks) episode today ~ simple but more original thinking esp. at the end.
    (Original post by primaverasnap)
    I wasn't actually expecting a good episode this season.

Well played 24.
    Are you guys at US pace, or Sky? Both of the last two US episodes have been pretty good, IMO. Maybe we're going to see the reverse of last season - a fairly weak start, but a decent ending? *hopes*

ReputationRep:
    I'm watching US Pace. Yeah last week was good aswell (as I wrote somewhere up there ^...I think) but this week was better.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm at US pace. I wasn't too fussed about last week, but I was actually impressed by this weeks. These next few episodes are gonna be important, a lot of things have to happen so hopefully we'll get really good episodes.

ReputationRep:
    US Pace - not said it enough this season, but that was an awesome episode! Had me engaged for the whole time, now looking forward to next week

ReputationRep:
    What the hell..

Spoiler:
    Show
    I knew Jack would get shot and survive - so predictable.
    Psycho Dana = woaaah
    Psycho Dana = CTU mole = :eek: I can't believe I didn't forsee that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haft_Hasht_Shish)
    What the hell..

Spoiler:
    Show
    I knew Jack would get shot and survive - so predictable.
    Psycho Dana = woaaah
    Psycho Dana = CTU mole = :eek: I can't believe I didn't forsee that
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Yeah that bit was predictable, although the whole sequence in that episode was pretty entertaining.

Chloe ftw.

Dana is a pain in the ass. She is all that is wrong with this season. They've tried to reboot it a little, which I understand, but I have absolutely no personal liking for her or any of the other new characters really. What kept me interested last season, I hate to admit, was Tony's story and also because characters like Larry and Renee were strong.

Another annoying CTU mole. Could have, and should have, predicted it :facepalm2: I didn't though, which is I gues what the writers were going for. She's just another crackpot Nina clone, but without the whole 'I'm really scared of Jack because I killed his wife' thing going for her.

Nina was awesome...

ReputationRep:
    Based on this week US paced episode

Typical 24 manouvre this week..

Spoiler:
    Show
    he problem with having Dana suddenly become badass is that she has all of a sudden become a bad ass after spending 12 episodes acting like a pussy, just shoddy writing. Its not like they haven;t pulled similar tricks in most other seasons tho.

Damn, soon as the action picks up the storyline takes a nose dive.

Spoiler:
    Show
    And like Clubber said the twist makes no sense. If she was in league with terrorists surely she could have just had one of them kill the two people blackmailing her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Yeah that bit was predictable, although the whole sequence in that episode was pretty entertaining.

Chloe ftw.

Dana is a pain in the ass. She is all that is wrong with this season. They've tried to reboot it a little, which I understand, but I have absolutely no personal liking for her or any of the other new characters really. What kept me interested last season, I hate to admit, was Tony's story and also because characters like Larry and Renee were strong.

Another annoying CTU mole. Could have, and should have, predicted it :facepalm2: I didn't though, which is I gues what the writers were going for. She's just another crackpot Nina clone, but without the whole 'I'm really scared of Jack because I killed his wife' thing going for her.

Nina was awesome...
    Spoiler:
    Show

I agree with you on those points. That's why I was like Wooah. Those two scenes with Dana were really shocking...because they make absolutely no sense at all.

I predict Dana dies (it's probably obvious but yay!). Hopefully Cole burns/buries her...alive. Seriously I cannot stand her character.

ReputationRep:
    This show is so racist toward muslims. Very political. If they're not suicide bombers, they're conspirators. The characters are caricatures and any exploration is one sided. The theme has re-ocurred so many times over the 8 or so seasons that it is very tiring.

Also the torture thing is cleverly justified, to the point where you find yourself rooting for the torturer. Glorifying it on the one hand...

Jack is the epitomy of scum, a man who has no self conscious or dignity and does anything for the sake of the flag.

Yes it's entertainment, but nothing is 'just entertainment.'

/end rant lol

An executive producer on 24 has announced that Fox has cancelled the real-time drama.
    See: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/s9/...ancels-24.html

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.