Turn on thread page Beta

Prospective Clare Students!! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, have heard of a lot of people applying to clare so i thought we could see who'll be there in october,
    term starts on my 18th so anyone who's up for a party??
    Congrats, Holly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hells Bells)
    Hey everyone, have heard of a lot of people applying to clare so i thought we could see who'll be there in october,
    Congrats, Holly
    Term may well officially start on the 18th but you'll have to go down for 0th week. My friend Nat is at Clare and she went down on the Friday before the beginning of 0th week.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Term may well officially start on the 18th but you'll have to go down for 0th week. My friend Nat is at Clare and she went down on the Friday before the beginning of 0th week.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    No, my 18th birthday, lol. term starts on the third!!

ReputationRep:
    Well, trust me, there'll be plenty of parties! If it's anything like ours this year, we had a "family meal" with our college parents and then a party in the bar anyway - it'll be great if it's your birthday, but it might be hard to get your own party going as everyone will be doing the Freshers thing - invite people to your room after the bar closes by all means though (but don't tell the porters!)

What subject are you going to be doing? I've forgotten.

ReputationRep:
    Arch and Anth, u ?
    college parents??? You're clare right? best college, no competition !!

ReputationRep:
    Medicine, if I'm still there!

College parents are two second/third years who have volunteered to look after you during your first few weeks and show you the ropes/generally be there. Usually they're mixed-sex "couples" (not real couples - they "get married" for the purposes of being college parents) but there are some all-girl ones, and possibly all-guys, I think. You'll also have a sister or brother to be sort of your automatic friend, although I lost mine after Freshers' week and only see her very occasionally at parties.

Why has this been moved from the Oxbridge forum? I'm confused.

ReputationRep:
    humm im not liking the fact that u get put wiv a sister or brother - imagine if they're really annoying and u end up trying to shake them off for the enitre freshers week, not to sure about the 'parents' thing either :s

ReputationRep:
    Boohoo...wish I could join you all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzie)
    humm im not liking the fact that u get put wiv a sister or brother - imagine if they're really annoying and u end up trying to shake them off for the enitre freshers week, not to sure about the 'parents' thing either :s
    I haven't met any "really annoying" people yet, and in Freshers' week, it's fairly easy to lose them if you don't get on. Most colleges operate a parents system, and it's good to have someone who knows the way things work and so on - mine are great.

Adhsur - lots of hugs and hope somewhere else picks you up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hells Bells)
    Congrats, Holly
    Hey, I enabled your account on the UCS forums by the way... should work now.

What date is it? 'Cause term starts on the 1st, and full term on the 5th. Freshers will likely be coming up on the 2nd this year by the looks of it - because Clare always chooses the Saturday before Full Term begins. (except for some crazy subjects that come up a week early for some bizarre reason - like to learn greek or something)

btw, party sounds good, apart from the fact you'll be having a mad time meeting everyone and there'll be lots and lots of timetabled stuff by the UCS and college and department like Helenia said! You may just have to settle for the infamously cheesey Clare freshers' bop and have a belated party the next week or something? By then you'll know plenty of new freshers to invite too?
    Anyhow, I'm not averse to parties

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I haven't met any "really annoying" people yet
    Hehe, I could name a few in my year, maybe a couple in the first year... but I've been doing my best to ignore the freshers for a term or so
    People are fairly easy to avoid though once you know who they are, having said that even those who are annoying in some situations can be really cool in others.... guess that's what people are like!

and in Freshers' week, it's fairly easy to lose them if you don't get on.
    Yeah, some families get on really well and others don't know each other after two days! I know who one of my friend's mum and sister are, but he keeps forgetting - there's no love there :rolleyes:
    At least he can remember who his kids are though.

it's good to have someone who knows the way things work and so on - mine are great.
    aye, it's also nice to have a friendly face on the first day to meet you and take you to the pub within 10mins of arriving (as they did in my year) and show you where sainsburys is etc. Provide you with a (hopefully) nice meal as they did this year on the first day and my year on the second day. They normally attempt to get you a parent with the same subject so that you have someone who knows the course you can talk to, although that doesn't always happen, most parents will know one of the people doing your course and grab them in the bar or something for you to talk to if you want.
    It's a generally good system, but it does sound odd somehow, being assigned a family before you arrive!

By the way - who are your parents Helenia?

Right, sadly I have to pack my computer up now and travel 700 miles back to Kent in preparation for the return to cam, so I'm going to be offline for two days or so

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    Hello!!!
    I just got an offer to study SPS at Clare next year!!! Im really excited and cant believe it!!!
    See you this october!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    By the way - who are your parents Helenia?
    Jess and Costa. They're v nice, and I guess we're in-between on the family scale - we still speak whenever we see each other, but don't make an effort to meet up and have family meals etc. I see my sister on occasion, but we generally move in different circles (not that I don't like her, we just don't hang out with the same people). Do you have kids?

Well done tomek - see you next year! And Hells Bells, you have to come to the cheesefest that is the Freshers' bop, then have a party or a formal later on.

ReputationRep:
    thanks a lot! looking forward to meeting you in october... "angelina" ;-)
    what are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    Medicine - I'm in my first year now.

Not to let you down or anything, but I don't actually look like Angelina Jolie. I just thought that picture best represented my general attitude compared with the other female ones available

ReputationRep:
    Medicine - I'm in my first year now.

Not to let you down or anything, but I don't actually look like Angelina Jolie. I just thought that picture best represented my general attitude compared with the other female ones available
    What is Medicine like at Cam by the way? You enjoying it, what sort of hours do you work presently?

ReputationRep:
    Touch wood I meet the offer, I'll see you all in Clare later this year :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sza)
    What is Medicine like at Cam by the way? You enjoying it, what sort of hours do you work presently?
    My hours are pretty good actually - 9-1 each day, then supervisions on Mon, Weds and Fri in the afternoon. I usually have one or maybe two afternoon sessions a week, as some practicals etc are only every other week. I think it's great there, although if you want to get your hands on patients right away, it's not the place. Preparing for Patients is good, but you only get two sessions a year so it's debatable whether it's really worth it.

ReputationRep:
    :-) that's ok, I really didn't think you looked like her...I'm still looking forward to seeing you at Clare!

ReputationRep:
    Jess and Costa. They're v nice, and I guess we're in-between on the family scale
    Well done tomek - see you next year! And Hells Bells, you have to come to the cheesefest that is the Freshers' bop, then have a party or a formal later on.
    Ahhh Jess and Costa!
    I spent a lot of time on their staircase (L) last year, and costa lives next door to me this year. I don't see much of Boo because she's a hard working medic type, especially in exam term, but she does live upstairs from me and so I normally see her in passing every sof often anyhow. I take it you came to the glorious abode that is Castle End for your family meal at the beginning of term?
    I didn't do anything conventional like get married, so I didn't get any kids . Though I did feel sorry for one of my friends when she discovered that she'd been given two compscis because no compscis had married

Freshers' bop seemed to have a much larger participation by freshers this year, was mainly 4th years in my year for some curious reason! Was very good, I didn't do anything for the theme at all though!
    It should be attended by every fresher - by order of the master !

Well done Tomek btw!

Alaric.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.