Turn on thread page Beta

how much harder is c3+c4 compared with c1+2 watch

ReputationRep:
    how much harder is c3+c4 compared with c1+2 ??just wondering if people found

C3+4 harder than C1+2 ??

thanks

ReputationRep:
    They are both straight forward like c1 and c2. Nothing too taxing...at least not in Edexcels syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    The trigonometry in Edexcel C3 takes a bit of getting used to, the C2 trig is extended quite a lot in C3, but nothing too mindblowing. It gets easier with practice.

ReputationRep:
    C3 & C4 shouldn't be too much harder but I didn't do very well in those papers in comparison to C1 & C2.

C1 - 97
    C2 - 95
    C3 - 66
    C4 - 69

Although this partly because I had enough UMS marks from my January results to afford dropping a few marks.

ReputationRep:
    C3 + C4 should be a doddle. Dont worry about it too much over this holiday, you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    I found C3 and C4 a lot harder than the first two. At the time I couldn't actually do any of C4 but when I was revising it didn't seem too bad. I got an A overall, with 90+ in C1,C2,M1, and 70+ in C3,C4, S1.

ReputationRep:
    i think theres a big step up really. C3 and C4 require a really good knowledge of your trig identities. You can't really do c3 before you do c4 as c3 is basically differentiation and c4 is the integration. You need to understand both really.

ReputationRep:
    most of the people on tsr maths room are tremendously good at maths,

but i have to say c1 is basically gcse standadrd and c2 is a light way to ease ur self into alevels.

c3 trig and c4 integration is tough sh*t for the average alevel student, but as always the more u practice the easier it gets...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, TRIG TRIG! Learn it

I got 84 for C1, 76 for C2 and 49, 45 for C3/C4. Still scraped my C though

ReputationRep:
    hey, c3 should be alight..except for the trig...mathsnet.net helped me quite a bit. c4 is pretty hard...i seriously thought i got an E in the paper, but i got 89! was shocked but pleasantly surpised

ReputationRep:
    C3 and C4 are certainly more difficult than C1 and C2 but not by a huge amount. A few more formulae to remember in C3, learn them like the back of your hand and you'll find it all a lot easier. Neither is too bad once you're used to it.

ReputationRep:
    They are both harder than their AS level counterparts, C3 trigonometry covers a fair bit and C4 is hard. Depending on the type of mathematician you are, you will find them easier than your applied mathematics module at A2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KAISER_MOLE)
    They are both harder than their AS level counterparts, C3 trigonometry covers a fair bit and C4 is hard. Depending on the type of mathematician you are, you will find them easier than your applied mathematics module at A2
    Agreed. Unless you're me and you did D2 this year as an A2 applied module, which was a nightmare....but me and decision maths just generally don't get on lol.

ReputationRep:
    When I did C3 I thought that it was a fair bit harder than C2, and when I did C4 I thought it was a fair bit harder than C3.

However now I look back through the chapters in the textbook alot of C3 and C4 is very easy (but maybe time consuming) with just a few tough spikes to get over.

In C3 it is the trigonometry that you have got to watch (you learn 2 identities in C2 and about 15 in C3), and maybe the differentiation. In C4 it is definately the integration that is the challenge, but some people find the vectors (particularly stats folk) and the implicit differentiation hard.

But there is loads of padding like: Binomial Expansion (again), Partial Fractions, Long Division (again), Iteration, Functions, Drawing Graphs etc.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i found C1 pretty straight forward but C2 is more challenging especially studying on my own i have to figure every little thing out for myself !! yeah i like the trig in C2 sine and cosine rule thats great but im not sure if i can handle more 15 wow thats alot i just hope i get a good teacher !!

do you do exams in C1 ?? or do they just put it togther with C2 to make a P1 exam !

ReputationRep:
    yes, there is a seperate c1 exam- most people will be aim to get 95%+ on this paper atleast!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bashment)
    yeah i found C1 pretty straight forward but C2 is more challenging especially studying on my own i have to figure every little thing out for myself !! yeah i like the trig in C2 sine and cosine rule thats great but im not sure if i can handle more 15 wow thats alot i just hope i get a good teacher !!

do you do exams in C1 ?? or do they just put it togther with C2 to make a P1 exam !
    The trick to most of the trig identities in C3 is that they can be derived (and they do actually ask you to derive some of them but its always better (and quicker!) to actually learn them

If you're prepared to just sit down and learn the stuff though, its perfectly possible.

ReputationRep:
    i still dont understand integration ?? the DX/DY whats the point ?? are these derivatives !! it gives different results aswell im not sure what the point is sometimes on that

yeah i dont mind trig that much though !!

ReputationRep:
    i still dont understand integration ?? the DX/DY whats the point ?? are these derivatives !! it gives different results aswell im not sure what the point is sometimes on that

dy/dx is the rate of change in y with respect to x and it lets you calculate the gradient of the curve at any point you want. To go from y=.... to dy/dx you have to differentiate.

Integration is the reverse process, it lets you find y when you know dy/dx.

It might sometimes give you different results, but the results are infact identical.

e.g. if y=x^2, then by differentiating it dy/dx = 2x

But integrating 2x would give you (2x^2)/2 ... which looks different but the 2 in front of the x^2 and the 2 underneath cancel out, so y=x^2 - so the results may LOOK to be different, but they're actually the same

ReputationRep:

Depending on how much you engage with C3 and C4 one of two possibilities can occur.

Either:

(1) The relevance of calculus (integration and differentiation) will increase in your mind and doing it will make more sense.

or:

(2) The irrelevance of calculus will increase in your mind and doing it will seem ridiculously perverse.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 25, 2005

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.