The Student Room Group

Self-harm scars on girls?

Scroll to see replies

Toffee_Kid
Erm, I'd say self harming out of spite, to hurt someone else, isn't genuine. It generally shows malevolence and manipulativeness on their part as oppose to internal pain (pain that can occur for whatever reason - traumatic incident, depression, low self esteem, self punishment for a perceived wrongdoing etc.). If someone self harms for the sole reason of punishing/hurting someone who cares about them, it kind of goes against the definition of self harm (ie. to hurt ones self) as it is not being done for that reason. Also, if someone doesn't regret such actions, it shows they still believe this is a way of exacting revenge/justice to those who have annoyed them, and I don't want them getting back at me for getting too drunk in front of their friends by hurting themselves. I understand that self harm is a genuine problem, and I don't want that to be made a mockery of by someone who uses it solely to control or punish their partner.

My point certainly wasn't that a person needs something truly terrible to have happened to them in order to gain the right to self harm - that would be ridiculous, and wrong in many cases.

Oh right, that's fair, I misunderstood you.
Just like a photo every scar tells a tale albeit it may be a bad one but it's still something that can be spoken about. I personally wouldn't get turned off my a girl with scars. It's the past (I'd hope) and it shouldn't happen again.
Boozah
Im so upset =[. Boohoo you gimp grow up, cut yourself all you wan't, hopefully you might die doing it.

Sweetie, learn to spell, and then we'll chat okay
Boozah
You have no idea how weak that makes you look. Isn't it just typical when people comment on peoples spelling half way through conversations, when theres no relevance since this isn't a spelling competition. Not to mention the fact that I know you can understand me otherwise your just thick.
Why don't you just stop replying because I'm fed up dealing with an arrogant shaft like you. Thanks "Sweetie" :biggrin:

Meh meh meh meh look who's got their knickers in a twist
Reply 104
Boozah
Your basically suggesting that the natural thing to do when your depressed is to go and cut yourself ?

no i did not.
but i would have sympathy and understanding for someone who feels they must do that to make themselves feel better. rather than be condescending or post hostile or venomous crap on an internet site.
Bobifier
You see, the issue here is that we have different definitions of insane. Your definition seems to be something along the lines of "Someone who is absolutely normal", whereas mine would include certain abnormalities along the line. Believe me, I am not overrating their mental stability in the slightest :wink:

No, you seem not to understand. All of the characteristics I listed can, to some extent, show mental instability and therefore a greater predisposition for going insane. Being depressed is no different, and cutting oneself is simply one of the various outlets depressive people sometimes display. If you were a little more open-minded you'd see that beyond a blurry line anyone is suddenly "crazy". Do you see?

Unless you've studied mental disorders in psychology I wouldn't expect you to though, really.
They ring alarm bells. If they are near enough to recent, I'll be gone before you can count to 10.
Eljamaispa
No, you seem not to understand. All of the characteristics I listed can, to some extent, show mental instability and therefore a greater predisposition for going insane. Being depressed is no different, and cutting oneself is simply one of the various outlets depressive people sometimes display. If you were a little more open-minded you'd see that beyond a blurry line anyone is suddenly "crazy". Do you see?

Unless you've studied mental disorders in psychology I wouldn't expect you to though, really.

With all due respect, that is ********. Self harm is a mental abnormality, it is not something the mind is supposed to do, by any stretch of the imagination. Yes, mentally unstable people people can get sad sometimes, but so can everybody else, getting sad is NOT a mental abnormality. Being depressed, and thus self harming, IS a mental abnormality. I'm not saying that people beyond a certain line are inevitably crazy, I'm just saying that they are indisputably mentally unstable, and for that reason I would be dubious about going out with them.

Given that, presumably, you have studied your mental disorders in psychology and thus far your arguments are frankly pathetic, I'm maybe glad that I haven't.
Reply 108
fire2burn
No scars wouldn't put me off, because I'm not a pig ignorant judgemental prick like some users on here :smile:

Everyone has their own coping methods, and self harm is legitimately recognised by cpn's, psychologists and psychiatrists working for the NHS as an effective coping strategy albeit one that is destructive. However if the alternative is something worse i.e. suicide then it is never to discouraged until such a time that the person is able to utilise other methods to deal with their emotions or problems.

Self harm isn't just cutting and I think that is something that many people on this forum do not realise, it can also extend to deliberately withholding food from ones self, alcoholism, excessive exercise, biting ones cheeks, blunt trauma (i.e. punching or hitting), picking, scratching, etc.

Biting your cheeks isn't a form of self harm - it's a disorder called Bruxism and certainly does not imply that one has a mental illness.
barbie*
Biting your cheeks isn't a form of self harm - it's a disorder called Bruxism and certainly does not imply that one has a mental illness.

Bruxism is grinding of teeth not biting of your cheeks. Bruxism is most commonly found in people suffering with mental health problems such as anxiety disorders and depression and is also found commonly in sleep disorders.

Deliberate cheek biting which is not bruxism whether you like it or not is a form of self harm and is considered self mutilation by mental health professionals. Anything that damages you and is used as coping mechanism for something is self harm.
For your information, bruxism involves teeth grinding/clenching, so no, it isn't self-harm. Biting one's cheeks, on the other hand, could be considered as self-harm.

As for dating someone with self-inflicted scars, I wouldn't be turned off by them. However, I would be influenced by the person's mental state and the outlook they have on life at present. I cut myself on and off for 2 years in my early teens, but now I regret the fact, and feel embarrassed even thinking about it. I realise it was a very stupid thing to do, and wouldn't even consider doing it again. Many other former self-harmers are the same. Hence I would have no problem dating someone like this.

But I would probably find it difficult going out with somebody who is depressed. Depression, and eating disorders and various other mental illness, take over a person's mind, change how they think, make them focus excessively on themselves and their problems. It's not their fault, but it does make it difficult being around them; sometimes it feels like you're talking to a brick wall, because your voice of reason just doesn't seem to register. It is very emotionally draining being with someone like that. Some people could handle this, try to change them, but realistically, someone can only change if they are ready to and want to themselves. I've been on both sides of such a relationship, and, honestly, wouldn't want to do it again.
Reply 111
fire2burn
Bruxism is grinding of teeth not biting of your cheeks. Bruxism is most commonly found in people suffering with mental health problems such as anxiety disorders and depression and is also found commonly in sleep disorders.

Deliberate cheek biting which is not bruxism whether you like it or not is a form of self harm and is considered self mutilation by mental health professionals. Anything that damages you and is used as coping mechanism for something is self harm.

It is part of what bruxism is and alot of people who have bruxism do this also. I have always done this since I was a child and I most certainly do not have mental health problems. Thanks
Reply 112
fire2burn
No scars wouldn't put me off, because I'm not a pig ignorant judgemental prick like some users on here :smile:

Everyone has their own coping methods, and self harm is legitimately recognised by cpn's, psychologists and psychiatrists working for the NHS as an effective coping strategy albeit one that is destructive. However if the alternative is something worse i.e. suicide then it is never to discouraged until such a time that the person is able to utilise other methods to deal with their emotions or problems.

Self harm isn't just cutting and I think that is something that many people on this forum do not realise, it can also extend to deliberately withholding food from ones self, alcoholism, excessive exercise, biting ones cheeks, blunt trauma (i.e. punching or hitting), picking, scratching, etc.

I am not saying you are incorrect or anything as I do not know much about the subject, but how is excessive exercise a form of self harm?

And in response to the OP scars would not put me off whatsoever, I think people who judge people on things like that are not worth having as a bf/gf anyway.
barbie*
It is part of what bruxism is and alot of people who have bruxism do this also. I have always done this since I was a child and I most certainly do not have mental health problems. Thanks

Mental health problems maybe not, but you're clearly blind.

I never accused you having mental health problems :rolleyes:

If you don't deliberately bite your cheeks then it's obviously not self harm, if you utilise it as a coping mechanism then it is self harm. Learn to read, you'll go further in life.
k8ht67`
I am not saying you are incorrect or anything as I do not know much about the subject, but how is excessive exercise a form of self harm?

And in response to the OP scars would not put me off whatsoever, I think people who judge people on things like that are not worth having as a bf/gf anyway.

Excessive exercise is seen quite often in patients with eating disorders as a way of burning off excess calories so as to deliberately maintain a lower weight. Hence why it is considered self harm at times. During inpatient stays in eating disorder units most places have specific rules about exercise and how much a patient is allowed to do.
I Think that there is absolutely nothing wrong with girls having scars, it just shows that they are tough.
Anyway guys have scars aswell. People have control over there own body, some just want to show that.🙂
I'm so glad this thread has been resurrected cause I'm going on a first date with someone tomorrow and although I forget about my scars most of time, in the past 20 minutes I've suddenly become very aware of them and what he's going to think. I'm not ashamed of my scars but I'm also not proud of them. I'm better now, a lot better, most of the time I'm happy which seemed impossible a few years ago, but here I am, still functioning, still enjoying life.

I'm trying to be logical about it - he asked me out so he clearly must find me attractive in the first place - but it's difficult not to get paranoid.
(edited 7 years ago)
An update for anyone who cares: date went really well, we spoke about the scars/my previous mental health issues and it didn't freak him out at all :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending