Turn on thread page Beta

University Replies watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Just wondering if anyone knows whether most universities wait to see what reply Oxbridge give you before they reply to your admission??

I only ask because it seems as though most other people, esp those not applying to oxbridge have found out most of their offers/rejections already, whereas i only knew one before Cambridge replied.

G

ReputationRep:
    I dont think unis know what other unis you've applied for, they certainly wont know whether you have been accepted by them or not.

I had all but one decision back before my oxford one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nero076)
    I dont think unis know what other unis you've applied for, they certainly wont know whether you have been accepted by them or not.

I had all but one decision back before my oxford one.
    Really??? I heard that all the unis you apply have the same information as is displayed on the UCAS site regarding your application. In which case they'll know everything?? Or am I just wrong??? Can someone confirm either way??

G

ReputationRep:
    as far as I know they dont, they used to, but a few years ago ucas made it confidential...i could be wrong but i dont think i am...anybody?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nero076)
    as far as I know they dont, they used to, but a few years ago ucas made it confidential...i could be wrong but i dont think i am...anybody?

You're right, I'm pretty certain it's confidential now. Having said that, if you apply before October 15th and have good grades at GCSE the other universities will probably guess you're applying to Oxbridge; although I applied to Cambridge and had all my other replies by the end of November that year, so I don't know how they work it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Hey,

Just wondering if anyone knows whether most universities wait to see what reply Oxbridge give you before they reply to your admission??

I only ask because it seems as though most other people, esp those not applying to oxbridge have found out most of their offers/rejections already, whereas i only knew one before Cambridge replied.

G
    apparently Durham does, for most applicants, because most people who have applied to Oxbridge, go to Durham, or have it as a choice, so they dont see your choices....i guess they just assume!

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks for the help everyone...just hope all the replies come through soon so i never have to think about UCAS stuff ever again!!!!!

G

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, in the past unis could see who was applying where, but this was changed as universities were checking for oxbridge applicants and rejecting them if they thought there was a chance of them being accepted. this led to many people with 3 A's getting 1 offer after cambridge, totally unreasonable. It is supposed to make the selection process fairer (I hope so has i have 5 A's at As and havent applied to oxbridge ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George-W-Duck)
    Agreed, in the past unis could see who was applying where, but this was changed as universities were checking for oxbridge applicants and rejecting them if they thought there was a chance of them being accepted. this led to many people with 3 A's getting 1 offer after cambridge, totally unreasonable. It is supposed to make the selection process fairer (I hope so has i have 5 A's at As and havent applied to oxbridge ).
    yeh the booklet said it was entirely confidential. Thank God for that! And 3 of my unis replied to me in the span of 2 weeks. So that was pretty good, especially the low offers!

ReputationRep:
    Confidentiality is better for applicants but worse for unis. It used to be the case that applicants ranked each course they had applied for in order of preference from 1 to 6 or whatever. Admissions tutors could then see exactly how serious a student was about taking their course according to where they ranked it, and so fewer offers were 'wasted' (ie the candidate rejecting offers of places which have been made to them which the university must find other applicants to fill).

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    Thats why the numbers were all over the place last year in terms of under and over subscribed places because they have no idea about who to offer places to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    It used to be the case that applicants ranked each course they had applied for in order of preference from 1 to 6 or whatever.
    Yes, and you used to be able to apply to both Cambridge and Oxford, although it was exceptionally rare to nominate one as your second choice and still receive an offer from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Sorry but that isn't true...this year is the first year were we are making offers blind to the competition.

Under and over subscribed places happen every year because of the lack of predictability in the insurance students - if Oxbridge get generous and allow people to take places even though they've missed grades then the 2nd league of uni's will have fewer insurance students and so will be more generous and this patter continues down to the uni's with the lowest entrance criteria. If oxbridge decide to be strict then the 2nd league of unis get a bundle of insurance students which the *have* to accept...and of course because oxbridge has it's own internal clearing system between colleges the 2nd league of unis may well have already accepted their quota of students only to end up with a bundle more that they have to take. This effect spirals down the whole system varying by subject and uni and causes the whole system to be very unpredictable.

Ouch! They told me last year that no-one in the universities would be able to see the others I'd applied to - if this is the first year it's happening then they lied to me! How rude.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.