empressrissa
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm torn...

I like Nottingham's city life, this is primarily based on what I have read on forums and seen online. It seems like a very lively place and seems like I would enjoy studying in that location. However, I am very worried about the crime rate.

Now here's the interesting part... I like Essex because it is the exact opposite of Nottingham! :confused: It's a relatively small campus university but the crime rate is one of the lowest in the UK. Essex Uni is also a better ranked uni...

I guess the choice shouldn't be that hard huh?
ForeverIsMyName
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
For what subject?
empressrissa
(Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
For what subject?
Psychology...

By the way, I'm from St. Kitts. I noticed you have up an SVG flag. My parents are from SVG. Small world heh
ForeverIsMyName
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by empressrissa)
Psychology...
The psychology department at Essex is pretty new and has a good reputation, as far as I know. Not too sure about Notts Trent, although it is a damn good night out

I graduated from Essex and I live in Nottingham, so if you have any other questions about either place, just PM me

By the way, I'm from St. Kitts. I noticed you have up an SVG flag. My parents are from SVG. Small world heh
I only have the flag because I like the look of it, not cos I'm from there
Sorry :p:
Gap Year 2010
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
Heyy, i have exactly the same problem. I have an unconditional to study History at both unis and i just can't decide between the two.
Essex is generally considered to be a better uni but Nottingham trent would have an amazing night/social life :|
empressrissa
(Original post by Gap Year 2010)
Heyy, i have exactly the same problem. I have an unconditional to study History at both unis and i just can't decide between the two.
Essex is generally considered to be a better uni but Nottingham trent would have an amazing night/social life :|
At this point, I am more likely to choose Essex Uni over NTU. I can't imagine that the night/social life at Essex would be that bad, plus, it's less than an hour away from London.

For my subject (psychology) I would be much better off going to Uni of Essex.
cherrycharm
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have a classmate studying psychology in Essex. She truly enjoys her life there and said that Colchester is a decent city with low crime rate. It is just an hour train from Liverpool Street.
empressrissa
(Original post by cherrycharm)
I have a classmate studying psychology in Essex. She truly enjoys her life there and said that Colchester is a decent city with low crime rate. It is just an hour train from Liverpool Street.
That's great... makes me more excited to get there!
avarga
Report 9 years ago
Hello,

I'm from Essex Uni and I have to say I cannot complain about the night/social life here. We have our own clubs and bars on campus and there is something going on every single night. There is a different range of events with different types of music so you should be able to pick up smt interesting. Also there is loads of sport clubs and societies where you can really get involved and meet loads of people and go out with them. Also to make the social life even more interesting I would recommend simply applying for towers as accommodation as you share a flat with like 12 different people so its a really good opportunity to make good friends!
About the courses I do not know much about NTU but Essex has a better opinion. I'm also studying Psychology and I'm pretty happy with it

Hope it helps!
If you have any more questions just ask!
empressrissa
(Original post by avarga)
Hello,

I'm from Essex Uni and I have to say I cannot complain about the night/social life here. We have our own clubs and bars on campus and there is something going on every single night. There is a different range of events with different types of music so you should be able to pick up smt interesting. Also there is loads of sport clubs and societies where you can really get involved and meet loads of people and go out with them. Also to make the social life even more interesting I would recommend simply applying for towers as accommodation as you share a flat with like 12 different people so its a really good opportunity to make good friends!
About the courses I do not know much about NTU but Essex has a better opinion. I'm also studying Psychology and I'm pretty happy with it

Hope it helps!
If you have any more questions just ask!
Hey! Thanks for that information. I was thinking about applying for accommodation at University Quays because it was the cheapest en-suite accommodation on the school's website. I heard that I should try and avoid living there though so I am pretty much back to square one.
Bathwiggle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey! Thanks for that information. I was thinking about applying for accommodation at University Quays because it was the cheapest en-suite accommodation on the school's website. I heard that I should try and avoid living there though so I am pretty much back to square one.
Do you mind having a 15min walk to your lectures each morning, as these are the furthest away from the campus. Southcourt and houses are closer.
empressrissa
(Original post by Bathwiggle)
Do you mind having a 15min walk to your lectures each morning, as these are the furthest away from the campus. Southcourt and houses are closer.
I thought about that and figured I wouldn't mind much about walking 15 minutes but then I remembered WINTER! I will try for Houses instead.
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It doesn't get that bad. Unless your opposed to getting wet. When we had 4 inches of snow the uni didn't shut, but most of the uni was gritted, and alwasy gritted when icy.
empressrissa
(Original post by Bathwiggle)
It doesn't get that bad. Unless your opposed to getting wet. When we had 4 inches of snow the uni didn't shut, but most of the uni was gritted, and alwasy gritted when icy.
I'm from the Caribbean so I am a bit accustomed to hot weather all year around. I think it would be a shock to my body experiencing winter/cold weather.
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm from the Caribbean so I am a bit accustomed to hot weather all year around. I think it would be a shock to my body experiencing winter/cold weather.
You get used to it gradually over 3 months as the temperature cools down.
Nia99
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi. I am from overseas. Right now i m choosing which uni to join. My first choice was Essex. Do asian student regularly study there. Appreciate to hear something from senior. Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Essex
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.04%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.89%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.58%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
37.91%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.57%

Watched Threads