Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I thought these two singers were quite similar, but I listened to Blunt before I was even aware of Powter. The funny thing is I dont usually like these sort of songs, but there is something about them which just makes you want to listen to them over and over again.

I would say the best song by James Blunt is high, or You're Beautiful, and the one I like most from Daniel Powter is Bad Day which is absolutely amazing. The two CD's are called Back to Bedlam, [Blunt], and Daniel Powter [Powter] I think!

If you havent listened to any of their songs then please reply with what you thought of them, and who is better Blunt or Powter? I say Daniel is much better.

ReputationRep:
    I think they're both absolutely dire. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    i', saying Blunt. because i've been raving about him since December and i'm being proved right like i was with the Killers after i was ecarded their stuff by islandrecords in late 03 and said they'd be good. lol, on a random note, the killers decided to form after watching oasis...

ReputationRep:
    neither..stephen fretwell is the one to watch out for

ReputationRep:
    I dont like James Blunt's voice, but the song lyrics are good, and I presume he writes them himself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skeve)
    I dont like James Blunt's voice, but the song lyrics are good, and I presume he writes them himself
    :eek: They're the worst bloody bit! They're awful. I'd agree with Stephen Fretwell though. I've said it before and I'll say it again though, nobody around at the moment does this sort of thing better than Tom McRae.

ReputationRep:
    I like them because they are meaningful, like "Goodbye my Lover" is very meaningful to me

ReputationRep:
    You're Beautiful was a song me and my best mate named ''our song'' I really have feeling for her, but she doesnt feel the same way. ''coz its time to face the truth.. I will never be with you.''

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vishpatel)
    neither..stephen fretwell is the one to watch out for
    LOL. I started the Stephen Fretwell vs James Blunt thread and yes, he's a bit of the dark horse. His album Magpie came out at the same time as James Blunt's album but it went unnoticed whereas James Blunt got this whole big marketing campaign behind him and there are truly big bucks behind his album: produced in the US by a producer who does typical US singer/songwriters for teenage girls.

James Blunt's songs although they might have a meaning behind them, well I hope so for him at least, have all been well commercially thought out. I know the US music scene, having lived there for a while and just by always being interested by music. There are a HUGE number of US singer/songwriters like James Blunt (with the same kind of singing too :rolleyes: ): Howie Day, Tal Bachman, John Mayer, Jason Mraz... but no one like that in the UK! We have pop singers, yes and we've had guys like Badly Drawn Boy, Damien Rice and David Gray but these guys don't aim at the same audience these American singers do: young teenage girls :rolleyes:.

The record label probably noticed the huge potential of having a singer/songwriter make pop songs for a younger audience and: bingo!

Commercially, Stephen Fretwell has little potential. Commercialwise, he's really just another Damien Rice, although musically he's so much more.

Daniel Powter is the Canadian version in a way. Although even if he were American, he'd still be reeling it in as there's a huge potential for artists like that, especially in Europe where that kind of music rarely makes it across the Atlantic.

ReputationRep:
    James Blunt makes me want to rip my hair out and gouge my eyes with scissors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    James Blunt makes me want to rip my hair out and gouge my eyes with scissors.
    James Blunt makes me want to rip his hair out and gouge his eyes with scissors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Pollo Diablo)
    I think they're both absolutely dire. Sorry.
    I'm sorry but I have to disagree! I think they are both great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Pollo Diablo)
    James Blunt makes me want to rip his hair out and gouge his eyes with scissors.
    That's a much better idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    That's a much better idea
    Shotgun gouging his eyes out And while we're at it, lets rip out his vocal cord.

ReputationRep:
    i like james blunt but on the whole, i think the album is quite a "break-up" album. have listened to daniel pwters album a few times at work but havnt got into it so much. bad day is good but nothing else has stood out so far, whereas james blunt has several stand out tracks - high, beautiful, tears and rain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by none_of_yor_biz)
    i like james blunt but on the whole, i think the album is quite a "break-up" album. have listened to daniel pwters album a few times at work but havnt got into it so much. bad day is good but nothing else has stood out so far, whereas james blunt has several stand out tracks - high, beautiful, tears and rain
    tears and rain seems to have a very similar lilt to caught in the middle by a1. but aside from the song initially making me almost kill myself as it reminded me of a1 it is very good...

ReputationRep:
    The other one, simply because James Blunt does my head in!

ReputationRep:
    To all of you who are saying that james blunt is awful i would like to hear your singing and song writing, seriously it may not be your taste but he is very talented (5 weeks at number 1) and he is a freshing change to manufactured boy bands like Rooster for example. Don't be so bloody narrowminded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamu)
    To all of you who are saying that james blunt is awful i would like to hear your singing and song writing, seriously it may not be your taste but he is very talented (5 weeks at number 1) and he is a freshing change to manufactured boy bands like Rooster for example. Don't be so bloody narrowminded.
    Oh cos we don't like him we're narrowminded are we? I just think his lyrics are bloody awful and contrived, his voice is annoying and I wish he'd stop getting played bloody everywhere. Maybe I could do better, maybe not, but that's not the point - I've not got a recording contract with piss poor songs like he has. I listen to quite a few solo singer-songwriters (Tom McRae, Josh Ritter, Paddy Casey, Josh Rouse amongst others) , and I just think he's a bit pap. Doesn't make me narrow minded.

ReputationRep:
    Don't both sound like they've been sucking on Helium and mucked around with the kareoke machine.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 24, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.