The Student Room Group

Constant Heart Palpitations

Morning all.

I've had this problem for over a year and a half now. Every day, and all day, i have continuous heart palpitations. They are very irregular and can change instantly. Although they are constant, more intense ones are triggered by anxiety and when exercising.

Now i have been to several doctors about this, had more ECG's than i can shake a stick at. I've even been to hospital to see a cardiologist, and had a 24 hour ECG fitted to me. Some doctors were amazed to hear how long they have been going on. All of these have come up saying that there is nothing wrong with me at all.

I even visited a counsellor who try to tackle some anxiety issues, which did calm them down, but not for long.

There are times when the palpitations are painful, and cause breathlessness on a regular basis. So they really do worry me on a daily basis.

I'm not asking on here for a medical opinion or a reason for this. Although if you do have some then send them my way. I really just want to know I'm not the only one out there. Or some of you nice people can offer some words of encouragement that it is nothing to worry about.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

Troy

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Try cutting back on caffiene. But they've probably told you that already.

Cut down on cocaine too.
Reply 2
I avoid caffeine as much as possible, pretty much never have any. I can't drink energy drinks as they make my heart go crazy. Excess sugar even has a noticeable effect.
Reply 3
Troy...
Now i have been to several doctors about this, had more ECG's than i can shake a stick at. I've even been to hospital to see a cardiologist, and had a 24 hour ECG fitted to me. Some doctors were amazed to hear how long they have been going on. All of these have come up saying that there is nothing wrong with me at all.

If you've had so many ECG's, have you actually had any while experiencing palpatations? Because if nothing was recorded it may well be psychological rather than your heart actually going into abnormal rhythm.
Reply 4
This is why they sent me to a cardiologist for a 24 hour ECG. I cant say i felt anything particularly special during those 24 hours, but there were definitely signs of what i usually experience. Some of the results did say i had an abnormal heart beat rhythm, called idiopathic arrhythmia (?) i think. But no one has found out what is causing it. I've gotten to the stage where it is just part of me, but would be nice to put my mind at ease (ironically, putting my mind at ease could stop them :rolleyes: ).
Reply 5
Troy...
This is why they sent me to a cardiologist for a 24 hour ECG. I cant say i felt anything particularly special during those 24 hours, but there were definitely signs of what i usually experience. Some of the results did say i had an abnormal heart beat rhythm, called idiopathic arrhythmia (?) i think. But no one has found out what is causing it. I've gotten to the stage where it is just part of me, but would be nice to put my mind at ease (ironically, putting my mind at ease could stop them :rolleyes: ).

Idiopathic is basically "we have no idea whats causing it lolz" :smile: So they have actually recorded an abnormal heart rhytm. They're not saying there's nothing wrong with you then, they just can't find what it is. Are you still seeing a cardiologist? Your best bet is just to keep pushing them til they find something, sometimes the NHS gives up a little too easily, lol.
Reply 6
I have tried pushing it, but it hasn't helped so far. I have been bounced from doctor to doctor. I only saw the cardiologist the once, and then had a telephone appointment with them regarding the 24 hour ECG. I have even had countless blood tests from several doctors, which wasn't fun. All of which came back negative.

One thing i forgot to mention, i was placed on beta blockers for a period of time around a year ago. Soon after i was placed on them, i came under quite ill. This resulted me in being rushed to hospital in an ambulance with chest and stomach pains. They then carried out loads of tests in hospital, including an exploratory labarotamy which resulted in my appendix coming out. Nothing. I then made the personal decision to stop taking these beta blockers as they were far from helpful.

I feel if i got onto my doctor again they would just keep telling me the same, it is how i am and there is nothing wrong with it. But i'm just not satisfied with this.
When you say palpitations, are they the constant heavy beats or the odd beat that feels odd/out of place? Like your heart will skip occassionally?

I've suffered from palpitations for even longer than you. They are worse when you worry, so the most important thing for you to do is to relax. If you have been checked out by the hospital, and they couldn't see anything wrong, then that's very reassuring.

Beta Blockers are quite a mild form of medication to help your heart control its rhythm and block adrenaline from reaching the heart (therefore to stop it from going erratic). You probably should have spoken to your doctor before coming off them, I believe if you're stopping them you should do it gradually. I have a feeling your chest and stomach pains were nothing to do with the beta blockers.

Heart palpitations are usually harmless and everyone will experience them at some point. Are you sure you're not experiencing frequent panic attacks? These can cause palpitations, breathlessness etc. Like I said, the main thing for you to do is not to worry - if the doctors and cardiologists have found nothing then you can relax for sure. I barely notice mine anymore, but I get them more frequently when I'm stressed of I've had a lot of sugar and caffiene. :smile:
Reply 8
They are completely constant. Its very odd for me when i can't feel them really. And mine too get really really bad when stressed or anxious.

I know the beta blockers didnt have a direct affect on my chest and stomach pains, but they also weren't doing anything to stop the palpitations. I personally dont like pumping loads of drugs into me, so i just didn't want to do it anymore.

How long have you had yours, if you dont mind me asking? Have you seen doctors about it?
Since I started Uni, they gradually got worse. So for like 2 years. And yeah, I've had blood tests, an echo and ECG... all came back negative apart from the blood test, I've got anaemia which will cause palpitations. Like you, I worry way too much which doesn't help. Try and put the palpitations to the back of your mind, tell yourself they're not going to kill you, everyone gets them. Maybe in the future it would be worth going back on the beta blockers, as they help the effects of all that adrenaline in your bloodstream which you get everytime you panic. I wasn't offered beta blockers as I have both constant palpitations and the 'skipped' beats which are likely a side effect of the anaemia. Good luck with yours, I know they are a pain.
Reply 10
Would you say your a healthy person e.g. diet, excercise etc

And hows your fitness level. I hear its a common thing among slim people.
I used to have a problem with palpitations too, but not as long as your duration. Usually it's caused by smoking and caffeine intake, but if you have an anxiety disorder (OCD, GAD etc), then that could trigger it aswell. There's nothing to be worried about. As soon as I stopped smoking, and went through withdrawal, they stopped after a month or so. Whenever I drink coffee, they sometimes start again.

But just to be on the safe side, continue your pursuit for an answer. Good luck.
Reply 12
I suggest you try some yoga breathing, which it extremely easy to do and excellent for the heart.
Place your right thumb over your right nostril and breathe in slowly through your left nostril, into your stomach rather than your chest.
Then place your left thumb over your left nostril and breathe out slowly through your right nostril.
Don't breathe through your mouth.
You may find you average about 3 in/out breaths a minute.
Do this for about 5/10 minutes and it should calm your heart. You could be suffering from anxiety.
Reply 13
I wouldn’t consider myself to be too healthy if im honest. I used to be extremely, but not since university. Im a post grad now, so had over 3 years of bad eating and laziness. However, I am now a member of a gym, and am trying to change this. Im not really overweight, although my BMI says I am. I have a muscular build making me heavy. So I am trying to build up my fitness, but my diet is still short of healthy.
I have been advised about breathing exercises before. These did work in the short term, and would work for any small panic attacks. However the palpitations simply come back after a short period.
Reply 14
It sounds like you suffer from an identical problem to me. Especially when you say you get them when exercising. I get them most when exercising and it makes me want to avoid doing it. It also seems to happen more when I breathe in. I was on beta blockers too but they did nothing for me. Im on citalopram at the moment and my palpitations are less intense and less frequent now, perhaps you could see about trying it. Im also starting councelling. I worry that, like you, this might be something I have to live with forever. I hate it when I get them, it really does make me feel very anxious that something bad might happen to me which probably makes things worse still.
I kind of had this problem. I think it is stress-related.
Reply 16
I have them aswell. Mine happen mainly in the night. I dont understand it, they just happen so randomly, and then I start to feel all queasy and sick. It then goes. My blood tests were fine, just waiting to do the 24 hour ecg. I read somewhere that they can be caused by deficiency in magnesium so you guys need to check your diet.
By the sounds off all of this it is extremely physchological if your fit healthy or young then you should be nothing to worry about I have the exact same problem as you mine was after losing my dad and then afterwards kept thinking it was going to happen to me try diazepam and if that works you know it is 100% all in your head you brain nerves are connected to your heart if your a sketchy stress anxious kinda guy your gonna get these arythmia like symptoms you just need a chill pill and too realise this is you causing all of this as hard as it is to except you will be surprised. Btw my dad died of a heart attack so that's why I was sketching all the time if you smoke id give up smoking you need to nip this in the bud now cause palpitations at a young age don't matter as much at an older age it can be extremely dangerous cause the blood is thicker through age and can clot. Your okay if the doctors were concerned you'd be on that operating table it's all in your head don't worry and start getting out with your friends more
I have had heart palpitations for about 8 years, they just started happening randomly and realy panicked me! For me it feels like my heart pauses for a second and then a sudden hard thump. Sometimes it feels like it suddenly twiches/beats fast for a few seconds and I have to move and walk around and it goes. When i first had them and didn't know what they were it got them everyday, but on and off. I had a lot of tests, I had a 24hr heart monitor attached to me for a week - all tests came back fine. I have a lot of ECG's and a heart scan and all were good. I still get them, but maybe once every month for about a week on and off, sometimes can go a lot longer without them. I know how hard it is to ignore them, but the more you think about them the more they happen! If all your tests have come back okay, when you get one, just tell yourself it's perfectly normal and to stay calm. Coming from me being the biggest worrier of all time, I know how hard it is! But 8 years later they don't bother me anymore! Sometimes it makes me jump when they happen! But go back if you are not happy and want more tests!

Btw i have noticed that i get them around my period, so can be due to hormones. I also sometimes get them from excerise which wtill worries me when it happens! And also if I eat too much!
(edited 6 years ago)
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Heart-palpitations/Pages/Introduction.aspx - this has a lot of information which may help!

Latest