Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    To all you potential Oxbridge students who received offers over the Christmas period; do you think its realistic that you'll meet your grades??? Each university gives slightly more offers than it has places for, but each year more and more people meet the grades required for them to take up their place. This admission year in Oxford a record number of people met their grades, resulting in a struggle to place students who ahd been given open offers. Do you think you can meet yours???

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    To all you potential Oxbridge students who received offers over the Christmas period; do you think its realistic that you'll meet your grades??? Each university gives slightly more offers than it has places for, but each year more and more people meet the grades required for them to take up their place. This admission year in Oxford a record number of people met their grades, resulting in a struggle to place students who ahd been given open offers. Do you think you can meet yours???

Should do...3As needed...and i did quite well in AS so i need B grades in A2 bio and maths, and a low C in phys...hopefully i get them!

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Should do...3As needed...and i did quite well in AS so i need B grades in A2 bio and maths, and a low C in phys...hopefully i get them!

G
    I need Cs in bio and phys and B in maths to get AAA overall, but I'm totally panicking about getting my 4th A (further maths, my offer is AAAA) because at the moment i'm on a low C! Resit results will probably determine whether I accept the offer or just dismiss it as being above my capabilities!

ReputationRep:
    Yes

(well ok I've already got them!! 20:20 hindsight is a wonderful thing! But I would have been quite confident this time last year)

ReputationRep:
    What percentage does one need at AS in order so that you can get Cs in A2 modules and still come out with an A? Sounds fun.

AAA in bio,chem,maths, which I'm confident I can get if I don't procrastinate too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucerna)
    What percentage does one need at AS in order so that you can get Cs in A2 modules and still come out with an A? Sounds fun.

AAA in bio,chem,maths, which I'm confident I can get if I don't procrastinate too much.
    You need to get full marks in your AS modules if you want an A at A2 from Cs in the A2 mods.

G

ReputationRep:
    well AAB is reasonable, im predicted AAA but english could be touch and go in the exam. i only lost a few marks in my history AS so i only need a C this year which is a great feeling getting an A in geography should be ok, if i didnt itd be baddddd seing as i just got accepted to study geog! its also ironic that the only resit im doing is geography...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rusty)
    well AAB is reasonable, im predicted AAA but english could be touch and go in the exam. i only lost a few marks in my history AS so i only need a C this year which is a great feeling getting an A in geography should be ok, if i didnt itd be baddddd seing as i just got accepted to study geog! its also ironic that the only resit im doing is geography...
    I have to get AAA, and to be honest I'm not going to find it easy, but we'll have to wait and see

ReputationRep:
    I'm worried about the grades: I was hoping for an AAB offer so I could get a B in my Applied Maths (Statistics, which I loathe), but I need AAA so I'm going to try and bully the school into letting me do more Mechanics. Having said that, I am fairly confident. It would be shock if I didn't get it rather than shock if I did...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    You need to get full marks in your AS modules if you want an A at A2 from Cs in the A2 mods.
    I have 100% at general studies AS so I only need the lowest possible C
    (180/300) to secure an A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)

Not particularly worried about the A-levels, it's just the looming STEP papers that provide the difficulty.

ReputationRep:
    Further info for A' level students with offers: If you miss your offer you could be offered a place at a different college, so don't get too at home!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meepmeep)
    Not particularly worried about the A-levels, it's just the looming STEP papers that provide the difficulty.
    Same - it seems maths applicants have the hardest time due to STEP, but iguess it sorta balances out cos you get 2 easy As in double maths. Also i need an E this year to get enough in economics. I'm just glad I have 1,2 offer, not 1,1 like trinity applicants

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz)
    Further info for A' level students with offers: If you miss your offer you could be offered a place at a different college, so don't get too at home!
    Where did you find this out from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ensocopier)
    Where did you find this out from?
    There's a summer pool after A level results for people whose college won't take them after not getting the grades, which other colleges can pick from.

ReputationRep:
    My offer is AAA . I reckon I will get too easy A's in maths and further maths.. Which means i need to get an A in either Economics or Physics, both of which i got Mediocre A's in AS . I'd say probably both .. thats if i dont continue my plans.... not to take over the world.. but the other ones.. to do a 3rd A level in maths ! Which means 3 A's in Maths ... quite saad ... but good fun

ReputationRep:
    my offer is AAA and i think i will be able to get this because i didn't drop far below 100% in AS. i am doing four A2s at the moment, and my offer said 'AAA out of english, german, history and music'- does this mean i still have to actually sit all four A2s? there doesn't seem much point, more hassle... but if i only take three of them am i still meeting their requirements?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leda swanson)
    my offer is AAA and i think i will be able to get this because i didn't drop far below 100% in AS. i am doing four A2s at the moment, and my offer said 'AAA out of english, german, history and music'- does this mean i still have to actually sit all four A2s? there doesn't seem much point, more hassle... but if i only take three of them am i still meeting their requirements?
    Ask them, I think the way they have worded it they would be happy for you to drop one, but ask first.

My friend had a offer of A in French
    A in RE
    A in History

She was also doing Business studies at the time so there was little point in her continuing it incase it prevented her getting an A in one of the subjects. However as any of your four can be counted you might want to think about what if you had a bad day in one subject and it dropped to a B, if you were doing all 4 and you got AAAB you would still be fine but if you did 3 and got AAB you might have a problem. So it's up to you, it's a bit of a Catch 22 situation, do 3 A-levels and have no security blanket, do four and have the extra work potentially make you miss your grades. You know yourself what you can cope with, but give it some thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucerna)
    There's a summer pool after A level results for people whose college won't take them after not getting the grades, which other colleges can pick from.
    For both Oxford and Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ensocopier)
    For both Oxford and Cambridge?
    The summer pool at Cambridge will consider accepting very near misses if your College who gave you an offer can't. Chances however are very slim as the colleges always make more offers than places available anyway.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.