the only subject im worried about getting the A in is AS further maths. getting AAA in my other subjects shouldnt be a problem cos i only need C's in bio and chem this year and E's on the next 2 A2 maths papers.
Well STEP is a huge unknown, I have no idea how I'll perform in STEP. I'm pretty confident that after the STEP exams I will be sure I didn't make the STEP offer, but I know by experience I have to sit out the worrying, and wait to find out. Still, I know they expect many an applicant to fail STEP and not have their place confirmed.
My Clare letter makes it very clear that if I don't sit all of my subjects (including an AS I'm taking) then the offer is off, so that's my idea of dropping down to 3 subjects out of the window. I'm taking double maths, economics and physics. However, I'm doing all the physics this year, 'further physics' stylee, and I'm having some real problems getting to grips with the last three modules. I know for sure I'll be getting a C or D in the January module I'm taking soon, but I think I can perform better in summer, with some motivation behind me, and the pressure of getting an offer off. Anyway, I'm rambling, my point is, now I don't need a top grade in physics, or a grade at all! (My offer is AAB, any subjects + STEP 1/2). So I'm wondering, shall I really drop all effort for physics, and let it slide to an crap grade? Making sure I get my AAA in the other three, and I reach my STEP grades. My only concern with doing this is if I did, they'd take no pity if I marginally missed my STEP offer. However, if I force myself to get to grips with physics and try and get the A, I might lower my ability to pass STEP. I think I'll decide after January, maybe try and get a low B in physics, AAA in the others, then put all my remaining drive into STEP. I'd like to surpass my STEP offer, to be honest, it'd be so nice to get an S in II. (Though as somebody said, I'm so glad I don't have to get 1,1.)
Incidentally, it's worth pointing out that only 40% of people that take STEP get a 1 or better, so the competition is pretty fierce.
I have an offer for 3A's for vet med at Emmanuel, Combridge, and it does seem to inply Ive got to carry on with all 4 A2's. I have emailed to find out, but it does seem pointless, especially since my fourth is further maths. I just hope i get the grades of I'll be gutted!
When coming up to A-level time I decided to concentrate my efforts on my 3 main subjects and let my geography slip, my teacher was useless anyway and I doubted that I would get an A even with my full attention on it. But in the end I stil got an A in it, I suppose due to a good AS mark and I did do some revision as long as it wasn't at a time when I should have been revising another subject.
Okay, this is going to be rambling and digressive, but it does have something to do with getting the grades. I'm almost definitely making Durham my insurance choice, and my offer from them is a lot lower than my Cambridge offer, but both of them specify an IB 7 in English, which is the subject I'm going to study next year.
Now, from what I've been told and from my results so far, I'm probably more than good enough to get a 7. But I'm also turning out to have an Achilles heel when it comes to one specific aspect of the IB English exams, and I can't be a hundred percent certain that I'll be able to deal with it before the May exams. So there is a slight chance that I'll end up lower than a 7.
All this makes me feel that perhaps I should go for an insurance choice that's offered me a 6 in English, but I really really want Durham. So my question is: does anyone think there's the slightest chance that Durham would take me if I missed this very important grade? And would asking the college this be a hideously bad idea?
I know it sounds...dumb. But this is bothering me, and I don't want to give up Durham.