Turn on thread page Beta

Oxbridge: Will you get the grades? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have an offer of AAA (Oxford: Physics) even though I'm doing 4A2 subjects (and at time of interview, 5 as doing general studies which thankfully i have now sensibly chosen to drop!)

Hopefully will get the grades. Need D's in my physics modules (can't believe i got 100% last yr! it's a lovely feelin), probably C's in Biology, B in Chem and either a B/A in maths. Maths is only one I'm worried about after getting 60% in P3 mock just had (god last summer's paper was hard) but I got 95% in P2 and 81% in M1 and overall my teacher said it was an A so hopefully will be fine.

Am revising Maths like mad now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erika_johanna)
    Okay, this is going to be rambling and digressive, but it does have something to do with getting the grades. I'm almost definitely making Durham my insurance choice, and my offer from them is a lot lower than my Cambridge offer, but both of them specify an IB 7 in English, which is the subject I'm going to study next year.
    Now, from what I've been told and from my results so far, I'm probably more than good enough to get a 7. But I'm also turning out to have an Achilles heel when it comes to one specific aspect of the IB English exams, and I can't be a hundred percent certain that I'll be able to deal with it before the May exams. So there is a slight chance that I'll end up lower than a 7.
    All this makes me feel that perhaps I should go for an insurance choice that's offered me a 6 in English, but I really really want Durham. So my question is: does anyone think there's the slightest chance that Durham would take me if I missed this very important grade? And would asking the college this be a hideously bad idea?
    I know it sounds...dumb. But this is bothering me, and I don't want to give up Durham.
    Why don't you just put Durham, and then take a gap year if you don't get the grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    I've got an offer of AAA in Advanced Highers and am hoping I'll make it! I got AAAAA in my Highers last year so I certainly should be able to get AAA at the more advanced level this year if I work for it. I'm going to go for it in any case, I've got 4 unconditionals (out of 5 applied) to choose between incase though, but hopefully I won't need them.
    I've got the same offer. Don't you think its a lot harder for us than A level candidates? Who get the joy of resits and continuous assessments and reduced grade cut offs if they do well in the previous year's exams whilst in Scotland its all or nothing on the day....not that I'm bitter!

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty I don't think I'll make my offer. I will be more than shocked if I do, I'm doing 4 A2s (one completely self taught,not easy when I have minimal motivation these days) but I need AAA, maybe if I was just doing 3 I could make it, I don't know, it's all so confusing & depressing!
    The subjects I once thought were my easier options for As now look miserable. My awful human geog teacher has decided to rescue yr12 buisness studies people and sacrificed our lessons to do so, we're not happy as we don't have anything to work from like text books & now not even a teacher, I bought a revision guide but thats really not enough. As for history (my self taught one) it happens to be incredibly time consuming for little result, I haven't done any since I finished my AS & am only in the planning stage of my CW! Chemistry & Biology are currently my best A options, but at this stage of A-Level I've found you need to be at least slightly good at maths which, sadly, I am not!

I feel utterly miserable now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie J)
    In all honesty I don't think I'll make my offer. I will be more than shocked if I do, I'm doing 4 A2s (one completely self taught,not easy when I have minimal motivation these days) but I need AAA, maybe if I was just doing 3 I could make it, I don't know, it's all so confusing & depressing!
    The subjects I once thought were my easier options for As now look miserable. My awful human geog teacher has decided to rescue yr12 buisness studies people and sacrificed our lessons to do so, we're not happy as we don't have anything to work from like text books & now not even a teacher, I bought a revision guide but thats really not enough. As for history (my self taught one) it happens to be incredibly time consuming for little result, I haven't done any since I finished my AS & am only in the planning stage of my CW! Chemistry & Biology are currently my best A options, but at this stage of A-Level I've found you need to be at least slightly good at maths which, sadly, I am not!

I feel utterly miserable now.
    Do you have to do all four, even though you only need AAA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldthrashbarg)
    Do you have to do all four, even though you only need AAA?
    It's a tricky one, when I think about it I get all fed up as I don't know what to do. I'll try & explain it...

1) What do I give up?
    I need two sciences for my insurance choice (Cam weren't specific where the As had to come from.)
    If I give up history, I'd miss it, but more importantly it's my only arts A-Level & need that sort of skill in preparation for the Cam course & future career. Besides, I want to be an archaeologist, they might laugh at me if I don't have an A-Level so closely related to my favourite subject!
    As for geog, in school its by far my favourite subject, my physical geog teacher is wonderful. I'd hate school without it & I'm on a high A at the moment & CW is nearly done. It's also the subject I can see the most relavence to archaeology at this level, therefore is keeping me sane & happy .

2)Do I really want to drop one?
    If I miss my offer, I may not have the grades but I would have extra UCAS points to bargain/convince them with (I know it may not work but the idea is keeping me sane, as long as I keep believing it's a possibility )
    I do enjoy my subjects, in spite of my deep loathing of some work I'm made to do & the quantity of time they demand I love them all.

3)Do I risk spreading my time to thinly?
    I think this one is a certainty, but my determination & stubborness is making me try & carry on with everything. In fairness, I have recently more than halved my part time job hours & other activities are taking a back seat.

I don't know what to do! Part of me knows I've come this far so should carry on all 4, but then I'm dreading throwing away this opportunity.

(I can worry to A grade standard, if nothing else!)

ReputationRep:
    I think that I'll make my offer. I'm doing Law, and they said 40 points and two 7's at any HL's. I've got 4 HL's so the chances are good, heh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    Good luck in making it then! It could be worse - I need AAA, and get taught in one of them! My school is on the small side, and I'm one of only 3 doing chemistry, and the ONLY one doing physics, both of which are self taught.
    Thanks, good luck to you too!!

You're right, it could be a lot worse, I've been fortunate enough to even get this far so I am still happy & grateful!

I thought history on my own was bad enough but to do a subject like chemistry & physics on your own where teaching is far more important must be really hard!
    I think my biggest problem is motivation, the fear I won't reach the offer has gone beyond a reason to work, in a sad way I've already admitted defeat & can't seem to pick myself back up again to get on with the work. I'm worrying lots but still failing to do much about it. Thats not exactly true, I'm working hard but it doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere! All day I've been doing geography & its still not much more than what I had this morning!

For the subjects where you're not taught, how do you force yourself into doing it?
    History for me is done only when the other three are going well, hence not doing any this year, I have teachers nagging me for work all the time & I get tested on them too often, as a result history always comes last in my order of priority when it comes to work, simply because it can wait while the others can't.

I'm having a really bad day if that wasn't already perfectly obvious! Please excuse my rambling rants!

ReputationRep:
    I'm teaching myself a whole lot of extra maths for an Applied Maths A-level and I'm doing it because I like maths and not to get into University. I didn't even put it onto my UCAS because I wasn't sure at the time whether I would manage but it all looks good at the mo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yannis)
    I'm teaching myself a whole lot of extra maths for an Applied Maths A-level and I'm doing it because I like maths and not to get into University. I didn't even put it onto my UCAS because I wasn't sure at the time whether I would manage but it all looks good at the mo.
    Not that you were implying this or anything but I didn't choose to do history on my own to make me look good on the UCAS form. I'd much rather study it in school but can't because of a timetable clash & I wasn't prepared to teach myself chemistry! I have the option of asking for the odd bit of help but I choose not to as it usually gets too confusing as my school do a different syllabus to mine! Studying on my own has been beneficial in the skills its forced me to master but it really was a non issue when it came to uni applications. My Cam interviewer mentioned it briefly at the end of my interview as the school had mentioned it in my reference. I just explained it was like being made to sit exams in a hobby rather than a forth A-level...thats changed somewhat now with the pressure of needing an A but the aim remains the same, too enjoy it! (something I fear lessons would have removed)

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't implying that in your case. It just so happens to be that most people on these posts see A-levels' and schools' primarily or even sole objective purpose as being a way to get into uni, which really is sad.

ReputationRep:
    Not mean to worry anyone, but if you don't get the grades you probably won't get in. There are several of us on here who have been made Open Offers, which means we are ready to take your places if you don't make the grades. Sorry!

ReputationRep:
    The one I'm worried about is A level philosophy. The specification for the course is extremely brief and vague and there is no way we can know if our teacher is teaching us correctly.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    Not mean to worry anyone, but if you don't get the grades you probably won't get in. There are several of us on here who have been made Open Offers, which means we are ready to take your places if you don't make the grades. Sorry!

:O is that for cambridge and oxford?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keithy)
    Just for oxford. Those who make open app for cambridge are assigned a college before the first round of interviews and from that point are treated the same as everyone else.

Musicboy

ReputationRep:
    don't you worry... I'll be there in September. All I need is three modules of 60 UMS or so out of the remaining 9 maths ones to do and I'm in. mwahahah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keithy)
    Well I'm talking about Oxford. Not sure whether cams do Open Offers (not the same as Open Applications)

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking more likely to be there after my 4th Physics module came back as 90/90. But still not sure about other subjects Jan modules, they don't come until Thursday. But I'm optimistic.

I feel sorry for those who have to teach themselves sciences/ further maths. I wouldn't be able to do that without teaching (mainly P4 and chemistry mechanisms)

ReputationRep:
    I hope so! Bio, Maths and French shouldn't be too much of a problem, but emfs and complex ios are evil! Chemistry is doing my head in at the mo! I need to get at least 66% on the June papers, whereas I can slip to 50% for maths n bio...and french i only need an E and I've got that already. grrrr at chemistry!

ReputationRep:
    PPE - Pembroke

I need 3A's.

I already have the A in maths
    I need to work hard at Economics to get the A, but i should do it
    I have a nice buffer on the A for Chem but my work is slipping and i need to work hard

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.