Turn on thread page Beta

Oxbridge: Will you get the grades? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie J)
    In all honesty I don't think I'll make my offer. I will be more than shocked if I do, I'm doing 4 A2s (one completely self taught,not easy when I have minimal motivation these days) but I need AAA, maybe if I was just doing 3 I could make it, I don't know, it's all so confusing & depressing!
    The subjects I once thought were my easier options for As now look miserable. My awful human geog teacher has decided to rescue yr12 buisness studies people and sacrificed our lessons to do so, we're not happy as we don't have anything to work from like text books & now not even a teacher, I bought a revision guide but thats really not enough. As for history (my self taught one) it happens to be incredibly time consuming for little result, I haven't done any since I finished my AS & am only in the planning stage of my CW! Chemistry & Biology are currently my best A options, but at this stage of A-Level I've found you need to be at least slightly good at maths which, sadly, I am not!

I feel utterly miserable now.
    Oh, so I'm not alone!!!! I'm going through a very similar dilemma - like you I am sitting 4 A2s, self-teaching myself one of them, (and have no motivation!!), and have an AAA offer.

I know it's late in the day, but my brain is having a total meltdown deciding what to do, as my chances of achieving As in all of them are...well... slimmer than an sliced amoeba. If I boil it down, it's my maths giving me the major problem - I've never really been a born mathmetician (-understatement of the century... guess it's a good thing that I'm studying Arts at degree level, then!) and I only really scraped the A barrel in AS (I just upped my score to 247, courtesy of a retake in Jan; originally I was 3 marks off 240). To give a bit of an indication to my wonderous achievements in the maths department, I shall proceed to wow you with my most recent mock results: 48% in S2, 32% in P2. And I wasn't even tested in the worst one, P3. Huh. Go me.

Thing is, do I give it up? It really is a Catch-22 situation: the time I'm spending endlessly (and yet hopelessly) revising the subject is eating into time that I could spend polishing up my other subects in the hope of getting 3As - plus I don't really enjoy it, anyway. BUT, it is the only sciency subject I'm doing, so it goves me a much wider scope (my other subjects are artsy) plus I'd feel like SUCH a quitter if I gave it up - I guess I have a bit of a complex... and I can't help feeling that if I worked harder, or got extra help, I might just be able to get that A (I got similarly bad marks in last years AS mocks, but still managed to do OK in the real thing), thus providing me with a bit of a 'safety blanket' in case I pooed in any of the other exams. Plus I think my ex-doctor father would probably disown me if I quit.

The problem is just weighing me down, I'm feeling really miserable about the whole situation. Maybe this is a good time to ask for a bit of advice from anyone here who might have any opinions before my head turns to goo? Please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizzymartini)
    Oh, so I'm not alone!!!! I'm going through a very similar dilemma - like you I am sitting 4 A2s, self-teaching myself one of them, (and have no motivation!!), and have an AAA offer.

I know it's late in the day, but my brain is having a total meltdown deciding what to do, as my chances of achieving As in all of them are...well... slimmer than an sliced amoeba. If I boil it down, it's my maths giving me the major problem - I've never really been a born mathmetician (-understatement of the century... guess it's a good thing that I'm studying Arts at degree level, then!) and I only really scraped the A barrel in AS (I just upped my score to 247, courtesy of a retake in Jan; originally I was 3 marks off 240). To give a bit of an indication to my wonderous achievements in the maths department, I shall proceed to wow you with my most recent mock results: 48% in S2, 32% in P2. And I wasn't even tested in the worst one, P3. Huh. Go me.

Thing is, do I give it up? It really is a Catch-22 situation: the time I'm spending endlessly (and yet hopelessly) revising the subject is eating into time that I could spend polishing up my other subects in the hope of getting 3As - plus I don't really enjoy it, anyway. BUT, it is the only sciency subject I'm doing, so it goves me a much wider scope (my other subjects are artsy) plus I'd feel like SUCH a quitter if I gave it up - I guess I have a bit of a complex... and I can't help feeling that if I worked harder, or got extra help, I might just be able to get that A (I got similarly bad marks in last years AS mocks, but still managed to do OK in the real thing), thus providing me with a bit of a 'safety blanket' in case I pooed in any of the other exams. Plus I think my ex-doctor father would probably disown me if I quit.

The problem is just weighing me down, I'm feeling really miserable about the whole situation. Maybe this is a good time to ask for a bit of advice from anyone here who might have any opinions before my head turns to goo? Please?
    I understand 100%!! As you said it's comforting to know you're not alone! I've decided to carry on & sacrifice all else for study until im a little more relaxed about it...once the CW is out the way I'm sure I'll be less worried. It does seem like quitting to give up now having come so far, but ultimately you know what you're capable of so its your decision. I hope you carry them on, if only to prove to yourself you can do it!
    Best of luck & you have my complete sympathy, it's not nice!
    Katie J

EDIT: Don't worry about the mock results, I've yet to score above 50% in my end of module assessements and mocks, yet I'm on the highest A of my group...but that is going to change on Thursday...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    The one I'm worried about is A level philosophy. The specification for the course is extremely brief and vague and there is no way we can know if our teacher is teaching us correctly.

MB
    I knew a guy doing philosophy A-level who had this worry. His teacher was a great guy but it wasn't clear he was top at preparing people for the exam. So this guy hired a few hours tutoring from a DPhil student at Oxford over Easter. Also, he ordered past papers and examiner's reports from the exam board website and had a read over them to see what kind of mistakes other people had made the previous year. He was the only one in his class to get an A that year. A few years later his brother was also taking philosophy at the same school and did the same, and he was one of (I think) only two or three people in the class to get an A that year.

ReputationRep:
    lol getting the grades in physics is highly unlikely for me! lol i have to get an A... (hopefully my as retakes might be half decent marks![thur!]) but we had mocks and they didn't go so well! urgh! the A in Art is no probs lol i could not bother with a module and still get it! he he he ! but i just don't get along with the likes of the physics synoptic paper! aggh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizzymartini)

definately not the only one! lol i recently got 47% in a physics mock! lol! there is no hope really! considering i have to get an A....
    mocks are sooo pointless!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redcat)
    I knew a guy doing philosophy A-level who had this worry. His teacher was a great guy but it wasn't clear he was top at preparing people for the exam. So this guy hired a few hours tutoring from a DPhil student at Oxford over Easter. Also, he ordered past papers and examiner's reports from the exam board website and had a read over them to see what kind of mistakes other people had made the previous year. He was the only one in his class to get an A that year. A few years later his brother was also taking philosophy at the same school and did the same, and he was one of (I think) only two or three people in the class to get an A that year.
    Thanks for this advice redcat.

MB

ReputationRep:

MB
    I did philosophy A Level and got an A, and I had exactly the same worries as you. PM me if you want, I don't mind at all.
    Don't worry about the synoptic paper; it's supposed to be vague.

ReputationRep:
    Things are looking slightly more optimistic given todays results, still makes me miserable thinking about how stupid I'll be to throw away the opportunity if I do miss them! I spent half of a biology lesson talking to my teacher about my worries & how I feel more stressed about it than I did before getting results...makes no sense, doubt it ever will! I just worry!

ReputationRep:

MB
    No worries, and good luck with the exam, and making your offer. Not to be doomy but do work hard on that subject, at least two other students from that same school did miss out on Oxbridge offers during the last 4 years bc they didn't get an A in philosophy - maybe this school is especially rubbish at it, but it could be it's just a hard subject. Even if you can't get tutoring or don't want to, getting past papers and examiner's reports for at least the previous year is well worth the effort, it's cheap too, only a few quid. Your school may have them for free, but try to get the examiner's report as well as the past papers, cos that's where they point out all the things previous people got wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Ive got an offer at King's Cambridge which is AAA and im not sure if i'll meet the grades, just got my fingers crossed
    im working pretty hard tho

ReputationRep:
    i need to get AAB, trouble is the B is for art, the subject i did best in at AS, i only need a low C in that to get an A overall. german courseowkr is killing me at the moment, as is biology, thankfully january module went well, but all the synoptic stuff in june is gonna be horrible, as well as the torture that is the german oral examination

ReputationRep:
    I juts got module results from jan, didnt work hard enough, didnt do too well.

Having said that, i have lots of marks in hand for bio, i only need to get 58% in my last maths module, chemistry needs lots of work.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.