The Student Room Group

Queens University Medicine applicants 2011!

Now that all the offers etc are out of the way for 2010, what about next year? This will be the last year with no interviews for Queens. Offers will still be based on strict academic criteria. Best 9 GCSEs. 4 for an A*, 3 for an A. +1 for each section of UKCAT over 620. -1 for each section of UKCAT under 580. +/- 0 for UKCAT between 581 and 619. Therefore maximum points = 40. Must have 4 As at AS. Offers for 2010 were made to those with 37 (up 4.5 from year before!) Frankly, it is probably not worth applying with less than 36 points! Harsh but true. That's why they only get 800ish applying.

39 - 40 point applicants will likely be made offers in December. All offers AAA. A few people with 36 were made offers in 2010 once all 37ers were done. People with a "B" at GCSE in their best 9 were cut and so on until 330 offers were made for 240 places. Must also have something in PS to show interest in Med and that you are a participant in sport etc. but not that important. Very strictly Academic.

For 2012 onwards same probable points grading leading to offers of interview.
(My dad is a friend of the admissions guy!)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i doubt id get in next year as i got a straight rejection this year
Reply 2
IF you get 3 X A at A2 it is worth applying again. Otherwise I am afraid not. Harsh , but true!
Reply 3
if got 4A* 3A 3B's and and hopefully 4A's in As lvel....also a wicked personal statement wid work exp everywhere in medicine; gp,hospitalx2, pharmacy, dentist....etc
and alot of extracericulem stuff like d.of.e..!
shud i apply? plus ma 6th form only 20 ppl r doin Alevels...i knw st.georges lower da grades u want!
Reply 4
I'm hoping to apply to Queens but finally decsion after my ukcat exam.
Reply 5
alfredrussell
Now that all the offers etc are out of the way for 2010, what about next year? This will be the last year with no interviews for Queens. Offers will still be based on strict academic criteria. Best 9 GCSEs. 4 for an A*, 3 for an A. +1 for each section of UKCAT over 620. -1 for each section of UKCAT under 580. +/- 0 for UKCAT between 581 and 619. Therefore maximum points = 40. Must have 4 As at AS. Offers for 2010 were made to those with 37 (up 4.5 from year before!) Frankly, it is probably not worth applying with less than 36 points! Harsh but true. That's why they only get 800ish applying.

39 - 40 point applicants will likely be made offers in December. All offers AAA. A few people with 36 were made offers in 2010 once all 37ers were done. People with a "B" at GCSE in their best 9 were cut and so on until 330 offers were made for 240 places. Must also have something in PS to show interest in Med and that you are a participant in sport etc. but not that important. Very strictly Academic.

Are you applying this year?
Reply 6
thetimer
if got 4A* 3A 3B's and and hopefully 4A's in As lvel....also a wicked personal statement wid work exp everywhere in medicine; gp,hospitalx2, pharmacy, dentist....etc
and alot of extracericulem stuff like d.of.e..!
shud i apply? plus ma 6th form only 20 ppl r doin Alevels...i knw st.georges lower da grades u want!

Sorry about the delay in replying. Unfortunately Queens are very rigid in their application of their points system. You have 4X4 + 3X3 + 2X2 (they only count best 9 and they often disregard Bs) maximum. This is 29. UKCAt can give you a max of +4 in their scheme which is 33 total. They made offers to 37 points last year and 33/34 the previous year. Only after that they look at PS and stuff. Honestly, I do not think you would stand much chance. Remember, only Queens operate this system
Reply 7
Pegasus92
Are you applying this year?

Yes
Reply 8
alfredrussell
Yes

Im an international student I did the O levels where the max grade is an A, I got 9As so how will it work for me.
What were your grades?
Reply 9
Pegasus92
Im an international student I did the O levels where the max grade is an A, I got 9As so how will it work for me.
What were your grades?

I assume, but am not certain, that they will count as 4 points each. E-mail the admissions people in the medical department and ask. They are very good at replying and giving info. And since you are international and paying fees!!!!!!

I have 9XA*:yes:
Reply 10
alfredrussell
I assume, but am not certain, that they will count as 4 points each. E-mail the admissions people in the medical department and ask. They are very good at replying and giving info. And since you are international and paying fees!!!!!!

I have 9XA*:yes:

Are you a reapllicant?
is this the thread for Queen Mary's Uni of london or is this queen's in belfast?
Reply 12
chemistryhater
is this the thread for Queen Mary's Uni of london or is this queen's in belfast?

Belfast
alfredrussell

Thank you for posting. That's some extremely useful information.

It puts me on 37 points (6A*, 5A), assuming I do as well on the UKCAT as I did last year. Do we know what the lowest points score might be this year? How many points has everyone else got? I presume that they choose the points cut off once they've received all the applications.

I think it's interesting that Queen's looks at GCSE grades when giving out medicine offers, rather than A Level predicted grades, like most other places.
Reply 14
alfredrussell

620? Is it not 600?
Reply 15
I thought interviews were starting this year? :/

Edit: I just looked on the medicine course profile on their website for 2011 entry and it says "A small proportion of school leavers are interviewed". I think I remember emailing admissions in March and she said something about interviews starting this year... but obviously that was March and a lot has happened since then so I can't remember XD
Reply 16
I emailed admissions again and was pointed towards the course profile on UCAS, which says:

Interviews for those in year 14 (year 13 in England and Wales) are not held as a matter of course and only a small proportion are interviewed, usually because there are queries about certain aspects of their applications.

Candidates who are repeating A-levels or have already achieved the required A and AS Level qualifications and are taking a gap year (see further information below) or have commenced an alternative degree course will be interviewed.

Mature and graduate candidates who fulfil the essential criteria are routinely interviewed (see further information below).

The interview take the form of Multi Mini Interviews which are designed to test key non-cognitive competencies for medicine:

Motivation
Empathy
Problem-solving
Integrity
Ethics
Communication Skills

Where candidates are required to attend for interview UKCAT is scored as part of the interview process.

The School will move towards the introduction of interviewing as a standard part of the selection procedure for 2012 entry.
Good evening all. I cannot believe it has come to this and admittedly it is my own fault. Despite the fact deadline day is now a mere month away I am giving serious consideration to switching Glasgow with QUB. I am in my fourth year of a pharmacy degree and predicted to obtain a first. My UKCAT score is 650 AVG. and my school grades were ABBBBC at higher and BC at advanced higher including all three sciences, history, english and maths.

I like the sound of graduates meeting the academic criteria being routinely interviewed but I do not overly like the sound of the points scoring system I have been reading so much about (eg, offers made to candidates scoring 37/40).

Glasgow is the largest of the medical schools I originally intended to apply to and has the largest graduate population by far. I just hate the idea of applying somewhere where I may receive an automatic rejection - which is a horrific possibility with the ever increasing cutoff score for UKCAT at Glasgow.

On an unrelated note, have I read this correctly? All degrees at QUB are just shy of £4,000 a year...? Even including medicine? That is more than Scotland but considerably less than England!

Kind regards :eek3:
Reply 18
Caramelchan
Thank you for posting. That's some extremely useful information.

It puts me on 37 points (6A*, 5A), assuming I do as well on the UKCAT as I did last year. Do we know what the lowest points score might be this year? How many points has everyone else got? I presume that they choose the points cut off once they've received all the applications.

I think it's interesting that Queen's looks at GCSE grades when giving out medicine offers, rather than A Level predicted grades, like most other places.

Cut off point this year will be decided after the applications are in. The first offers are likely to be made in late December. (last year Dec 27th - 28th) for those with 40, 39 points. Those with no chance will also get rejections then. Rest of offers and rejections in April, quite late.
Reply 19
ECullen
620? Is it not 600?

My understanding is 580 and less is -1
581 - 619 is 0
620 and above is +1

Quick Reply