ReputationRep:
    UKCAT 2010

I'll start with some useful resources:The main UKCAT website
    The UKCAT wiki page
    UKCAT at a glance in the wiki
    Practice resources (thanks to Lu-x)
    2008's UKCAT thread (thanks to Holsy)
    2009's UKCAT thread

Now for some FAQs:Q: When should I sit the UKCAT?
    A. Some important dates:
    Registration opens: 04 May 2010 (bursary applications processed from this date)
    Testing begins: 06 July 2010
    Registration deadline: 27 Sept 2010 (bursary and exemption application deadline also this date)
    Last testing date: 08 Oct 2010
    UCAS application deadline: 15 Oct 2010

The exact date you sit the test is up to you, some people prefer to get it out of the way early so they know their score and can decide on where to apply from there. Others would rather wait until after they have their AS level results. Bear in mind that the price does go up at the start of September.
    Please note: the UKCAT booking system only allows test slots to be allocated 90 days in advance. As it gets closer to the last testing date it may become very difficult to find a time to sit the test so book early.

Q: How much does it cost?
    A. 06/07 – 31/08: £60 for those taking the test in the EU, £95 for other candidates
    01/09 – 08/10: £75 for those taking the test in the EU, £95 for other candidates.
    The price is the same regardless of whether you are taking the standard UKCAT or UKCATSEN.

Q: Do we need to put that we've done our UKCAT/or our score on UCAS?
    A:There's no need. UKCAT will send your scores off to the universities you're applying to that need it.

Q: Do we get a calculator?
    A:Yes. You're given a simple, non-scientific one at your centre.

Q: Do we have anything to write on?
    A: Yes. You will be given a double sided whiteboard with a special pen to write with. There is usually no eraser available so taking some tissues with you might be useful.

Q: When should we arrive at the test centre?
    A: You should arrive at least fifteen minutes before the exam to go through the formalities and prove your identity.

Q: What should we bring to the test centre?
    A: You should bring to the test centre a printout of the email that you were sent confirming your test registration as well as photographic identification (see the list on the UKCAT website).

Q: What is the average score?
    A: The average score for each subtest is 600. Most candidates will score between 500-700. If your score isn't as good as you would like, it's not the end of the road. Some advice can be found in this thread

Q: Can we discuss the questions in the UKCAT once we've sat it?
    A: No. You will sign something declaring that you agree not to.

Q: If I do badly can I take it again?
    A: Nope, unfortunately not. You can only take the UKCAT once for each UCAS cycle so if you don't do as well as you'd have liked, you'll need to think carefully about where you are going to apply to.

Q: What book should I buy to practice from?
    A: Various books have been recommended in the past:
    Passing the UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT) and BMAT 2009,
    Taylor, Hutton and Hutton, Learning Matters Ltd, ISBN 1844452840
    Get into Medical School - 600 UKCAT Practice Questions. Includes Full Mock Exam, comprehensive tips, techniques and explanations,
    Olivier Picard, Laetitia Tighlit, Sami Tighlit, and David Phillips, ISC Medical, ISBN 1905812094
    How to Pass the UKCAT: Unbeatable Practice for Success in the 2009 United Kingdom Clinical Aptitude Test,
    Mike Byron and Jim Clayden, Kogan Page Ltd., ISBN 0749453338
    If you have found a particularly useful book, let me know what it is and I can add it to this list.

Q: How long should I spend on each questions?
    breakdown of timings
    UKCAT Timings
    Verbal Reasoning - 22 minutes (1 minute for instructions) - 44 items
    11 sets of 4 questions – 21 minutes
    ~30 seconds per question (28.6)
    115 seconds per set of 4 questions
    1m54
    Quantitative Reasoning - 23 minutes (1 minute for instructions) - 36 items
    36 items – 22 minutes
    ~36 seconds per question
    Abstract Reasoning - 16 minutes (1 minute for instructions) - 65 items
    13 sets of 5 test shapes – 15 minutes
    14 seconds per question
    70 seconds per set of five questions
    1m9
    Decision Analysis - 32 minutes (1 minute for instructions) - 28 items
    1 code with 28 questions – 31 minutes
    ~66 Seconds per question
    Non-Cognitive Analysis - 27 minutes (1 minute for instructions) - Varies

If any further questions come up I'll add them to this list to help other applicants. Any further UKCAT threads will be merged with this one.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I'm sorry if this is common knowledge or has been asked before but I've had a rummage around and found nothing. How is the UKCAT scored exactly? I mean is the score in a range 0-1000? Because I keep seeing scores in the 600's, 700's etc. and I was wondering what was the maximum and why the range of scores I've seen are so narrow. I mean hasn't anyone completely failed and got a 200 or something?

And also what would be a good UKCAT score where you'd be practically safe from being cut off due to your UKCAT score? Because I don't seem to know how to find out each individual med school's cut off score whereas pretty much everyone else seems to know despite it not being on the prospectus/website etc. I can't go to every single open day to find out even if they do inform applicants of the cut off scores there.

ReputationRep:
    The scores you are seeing are averages of the four sections, usually giving something between 500-700. The cutoffs differ from school to school, some have them and some just use the UKCAT as one of many selection criteria. Your best bet is to hunt within the specific uni threads, remember a lot of cutoffs are hearsay if the uni doesn't release them, so your mileage may vary.

ReputationRep:
    UKCAT is 300-800

safe from all cut offs would be mid 700s

but no-one knows exactly how it is scored

ReputationRep:
    the maximum is 900 I think. the average is around 600, some people get over 700 and very rarely do people get above 800. Something around 690-700 should give you a good chance of meeting the cutoffs, but even with these high scores, you are never certain. Just bare in mind that sheffield usually has the highest cut-off, last year I think it was something around 685. Barts, newcastle and kings want a pretty high UKCAT as well. On the other hand, some unis like BSMS take students even if their scores are low so don't necessarily have a 'cut-off'. Just do a bit of research into the unis that you plan on applying to, I think there is a table in the TSR wiki which shows you how each uni uses the UKCAT but I can't remember where it was exactly, you should try searching for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    UKCAT is 300-800

safe from all cut offs would be mid 700s

but no-one knows exactly how it is scored
    It's 300-900.

Anything above 710 used to be the top 5% according to the last publicly available report (2007 I think). Might have gone up a bit now as better guides have become available.

ReputationRep:
    each section is scored between 300-900 and an average of that range is taken the average score is around 600 but as it is a competitive course many unis might specify a cut-off much higher then that eg sheffield 680 bsmd 665

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greatmonte)
    each section is scored between 300-900 and an average of that range is taken the average score is around 600 but as it is a competitive course many unis might specify a cut-off much higher then that eg sheffield 680 bsmd 665
    isn't that basically what a few people have already said? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I've heard that King's want some prety high UKCAT scores so it's useful to know what the maximum is. So I guess the aim is for around 700 if I'm going to even bother with Kings. Well thanks everyone. I wonder why this sort of information wasn't just put on their bloody website. I'm only really considering 3 UKCAT med schools anyway and apart from King's they're not too anal about the UKCAT like Sheffield.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scrubby)
    Yeah, I've heard that King's want some prety high UKCAT scores so it's useful to know what the maximum is. So I guess the aim is for around 700 if I'm going to even bother with Kings. Well thanks everyone. I wonder why this sort of information wasn't just put on their bloody website. I'm only really considering 3 UKCAT med schools anyway and apart from King's they're not too anal about the UKCAT like Sheffield.
    Well because its relative, therefore changes each year. Unis that use a cutoff will change it every year as the test, therefore the questions, therefore the scores change every year. They cannot keep the same cutoff year after year, Glasgow said they would then raised it after people had applied, there was much wailing and knashing of teeth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scrubby)
    but you need to bare in mind for kings is that they balance it out with GCSEs and other indicators of academic potential. So a high Ukcat can compensate for low GCSEs and vise-versa.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

This is a list of changes introduced to the UKCAT format...these are mainly changes to the times for each section and the questions in each section.

Please note that on Monday 19th April 2010, two fully timed Practice Tests will be published on the UKCAT web site www.ukcat.ac.uk.

Section - Time (includes introduction) - Items
    Verbal Reasoning - 22 minutes - 44 items
    Quantitative Reasoning - 23 minutes - 36 items
    Abstract Reasoning - 16 minutes - 65 items
    Decision Analysis - 32 minutes - 28 items
    Non-Cognitive Analysis - 27 minutes - Varies

Summary of changes

-The Quantitative section has decreased from 40 Qs to 36 Qs, with an extra minute to answer (22 mins instead of the former 21).

-The Decision Analysis section has increased from 26 Qs to 28 Qs, and from 29 minutes to 31 minutes.

-The Non-Cognitive Analysis section has decreased from 29 minutes to 26 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    What do you want, a Blue Peter Badge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Orange)
    What do you want, a Blue Peter Badge?
    That's abit rude.

He just wants to notify people, and yes it was helpful.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarjaaniMarjaani)
    Thanks OP.
    Oye kasmanu khaye mar jaani! :lol:

Had to finish your username off. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info OP

ReputationRep:
    I'm so happy there are 4 less QR questions!

and MORE code questions! My favourite section!

I can't wait to sit it! Haha

3rd time sitting it. :o:

ReputationRep:
    It's about ******* time they made some sort of attempt to sort that ridiculous test out. It's still useless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarjaaniMarjaani)
    I'm so happy there are 4 less QR questions!

and MORE code questions! My favourite section!

I can't wait to sit it! Haha

3rd time sitting it. :o:

Same

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.