Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well - im hoping to apply for 2006, im not particularly sporty, will be studying history, would like to go to a fairly small college (but not that small!) and one that isnt too formal would be good! Oh yeah, and not one of the really academic ones that are really hard to get into!
    I visited Oxford and thought that Brasenose, Lincoln and Oriel were nice - what do you think?
    I know no-one knows really, and i havent told you much about myself - but what are these 3 colleges like and which other ones does anyone advise i consider?
    Thank-you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippy_chick)
    Well - im hoping to apply for 2006, im not particularly sporty, will be studying history, would like to go to a fairly small college (but not that small!) and one that isnt too formal would be good! Oh yeah, and not one of the really academic ones that are really hard to get into!
    I visited Oxford and thought that Brasenose, Lincoln and Oriel were nice - what do you think?
    I know no-one knows really, and i havent told you much about myself - but what are these 3 colleges like and which other ones does anyone advise i consider?
    Thank-you!
    Come to Mansfield! We're small, very informal and don't have too stringent academic procedures (and just so you know, there aren't any *easy* colleges to get into, they're all pretty stiff competition). We do get pretty good grades in exams, though, so we're not complete dossers.

Plus, we rock.

ReputationRep:
    Thank-you!
    Oriel - I've heard it's very political and sporty. I'd avoid it.

Lincoln - gossipy, but very pretty and friendly I think.

Brasenose - best of the three, IMO. Also the closest to the history faculty! All the people I know from there are really nice, and I almost applied there myself

Have you considered Hertford...?

ReputationRep:
    Let's see: it must be a small college, not formal and not very academic.

Regent's Park, Mansfield, Somerville, SPC-
    not very sure about latter two

ReputationRep:
    Mansfield *is* tiny. At 150 people it's about 60% of Corpus, the next smallest.
    Regent's Park is even smaller, IIRC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hellsbells)
    Oriel - I've heard it's very political and sporty. I'd avoid it.
    Bah, like hell is Oriel political or sporty. Some of the stereotypes are leading us all down the wrong route. Okay, Oriel has a reputation as being a rowing college but that's because the people who do row at the top end are bloody good. More people do nothing in Oriel sports wise than row...its a huge distorting device is that. As for politics, it's a bit of the same really, those at Oriel who like the sound of their own voice try to sound off against the whole university and they do this through OUCA (such a lovely organistation :mad: ). Yet if you talk to the vast majority of Orielites, they're as politically apathetic as the next person. I know this since I ran the college elections last term and we barely got half of the JCR to vote...

You'll find though that every college has its hacks - Mike Dowling at Mansfield; Will Haydock over at Corpus to offer a few examples of recent people at other places.

Underneath these distortions, Oriel is very pretty, is fairly small and compact (then again twice the size of Mansfield), within a very short walking distance of the High and Cornmarket and because it's off the beaten track a little we don't get many tourists in term time. We are a crazy mad bunch when you get to know us - our JCR president is a huge fan of Eurovision just so you can gauge it! - who enjoy the finer things in life such as bouncy castles and sweets. Yep last Trinity our third quad lawn was stuffed full of as much Haribo as you could eat and a brilliant bouncy castle. We also have our annual death by OxStu, which is similar to the assassins guild.

There that's a bit about Oriel as a fun college beyond the sillyness of Sport and Politics. Seriously, you'll find us madder than most, and frankly we're at war with Mansfield so you don't want to be going there...

*It was meant to be Corpus but we decided they just weren't worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Thank-you!
    i was trying to find the same kind of thing last year and i eventually applied to hertford. obviously, since i haven't started uni yet i have no idea whether this was a good or a bad choice, but most of what i've heard about it seems to support the idea that it's one of the pressured colleges (although it's all relative, i suppose).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oriel historian)
    You'll find though that every college has its hacks - Mike Dowling at Mansfield; Will Haydock over at Corpus to offer a few examples of recent people at other places.
    That's an absolutely disgraceful comment to make. Will Haydock ran for OUSU President, a campaign which lasted about a fortnight, was always conducted very light heartedly, and at no point had any expectation of success (Will expected to come third, as he did, and with less votes than he ultimately got). I assume he showed up for hustings etc, but I didn't see him 'hack' properly once. I certainly never saw him randomly show up at parties/dinners just to be seen. He couldn't really be less of a hack.

Dowling, on the other hand, nice guy underneath it all though he is, is probably the biggest hack currently residing in Oxford. He spent pretty much the whole of Trinity doing nothing but hacking, and could always be relied on to attract attention in any way he could, as well as the continuation of his one pull one vote policy. There was barely a trick in the book that he didn't pull.

You're also underemphasising the sport/politics aspect of Oriel. The figure I was given is that it has by itself 1/6 of the university membership of OUCA (100 people - over 1/3 of the college); that of a year of 90 you have 72 Union members (80%!). In terms of hacks, this year alone you have three 'serious' (Khuram/Coates/Pang) hacks and at least three other wannabees (Avi, Lappage and Penny). So if every college has one or two (which in itself is a bit of an exaggeration), Oriel had six this year. And possibly more I haven't heard of.

Oriel also has an unusually large and exceptionally committed body group of rowers. Admittedly they're only about 30-40 people, of which the real hardcore is probably half that size again, but a) out of 270 that's not that few
    and b) they're pretty difficult to avoid when they're running around third quad naked. As has happened at least twice in Trinity alone.

That's not to say everyone in ORiel is either a hack or a rower, nor that daily life at Oriel is dominated them, but they're certainly a significant feature of Oriel college life. I admit my view is a little coloured by the fact my dealings with Oriel have been almost exclusively related to hacks and rowers, but I also know people there who are neither of these things and if anything they've reinforced this impression.

ReputationRep:
    Thank-you!
    i would look at hertford, it seems to meet your criteria. or jesus perhaps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    b) they're pretty difficult to avoid when they're running around third quad naked. As has happened at least twice in Trinity alone.
    Right, so this is the opportunity we should use for our grand turtle stash-stealing plan...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Right, so this is the opportunity we should use for our grand turtle stash-stealing plan...
    careful - you might have the misfortune of seeing some of that nudity..
    but get our flag back if you have spare hand?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buttons7)
    i was trying to find the same kind of thing last year and i eventually applied to hertford. obviously, since i haven't started uni yet i have no idea whether this was a good or a bad choice, but most of what i've heard about it seems to support the idea that it's one of the pressured colleges (although it's all relative, i suppose).
    Hertford has done well on the Norrington table the last couple of years, but as we all know this is a flawed system for guaging which college is most academic. Perhaps for some subjects, Hertford is hard work, but for most I really don't think it is, compared to the likes of Merton.

We're known as the Party College

ps - I just noticed you want to do History... I don't think our historians are worked harder than average, and there's *loads* of them!!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know what Somerville is like?

ReputationRep:
    H&E I wasn't picking on Will or anything of the sort - you called me a hack once, and I'm about as far from that as possible, so if my comment is "absolutely disgraceful" then so was yours. Do be sensible. My year is not as large as you quote (Ugrad now), and I know of quite a few people who got signed up to the Union by their parents because they thought it was part of the forms to fill in. I am a Union member myself (and fall into the category I just gave you), but have only really used the library since Michelmas term, and the last person I heard speak there was Philip Pullman. Again this is quite likely to be the case of a fair number of those 'members' you speak of. To be honest, they're more likely to get free entry to the PT than hack for the Union.

Also get your facts straight, Anatole Pang unless I've missed a trick isn't from Oriel...and as for the rest of the OUCA lot I try to avoid the associates of Penny. Yet you're missing the point - Khuram, Lappage et al are not in the first year and Oriel is changing these people (check OxGoss) called my year the most boring ever because we didn't engage in the "Oriel" way. I will admit there are those who fit the stereotype, but the vast majority of my year don't. For sure we have a good proportion of rowers, but do you honestly think everyone takes it seriously???

On the naked rowers front, I managed to avoid it (thankfully) and I live there. Seek and ye shall find maybe (JOKE). I guess what I mean is, if you want to find that aspect of Oriel you will, but if you don't particularly like OUCA or the Union it's quite easily avoided by those of us who just want to have a good time.

Remember, I don't fit into your Oriel stereotype; I'm just offering a view of Oriel that isn't tainted and one that chimes with my experience of my own college. I'm sure there are people at ChCh or Magdalen who aren't the worlds greatest snobs who won't venture further north than Milton Keynes because it's "not safe" or "too cold" as I heard one day guiding an Access Tour around. Yes - an Orielite who gets involved in Access and OUSU not the Union and OUCA. I told you there was a different side you've missed. I'm not unique either.

Somerville, on a less rantified point, is quite a nice college. I've done Access tours with Somervillians (?) and we always take people there to show them around. It's very pretty, has a fair amount of modern buildings. The food is apparently (from the horses mouth) not as good as others around Oxford, but I've not dined there yet. All in all, the only thing wrong with it is the fact Maggie Thatcher went there and it has a building named after her - but what do I know, I'm a rampant Unionite and OUCAite apparently...I'm supposed to row all day and sing her praises.

Yeah Right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hellsbells)
    We're known as the Party College
    In my (er, totally unbiased) opinion I would say LMH beats you in that regard!

ReputationRep:
    Cool, thanks oriel historian. To be honest I’m considering doing History but am aware that I won’t have a particularly strong application as my grades are not perfect and I know Somerville has quite a low number of applicants per place for History compared to some other colleges. Worcester College looks really cool although I know that's one of the more popular for History.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all ur info - even though i think i am even more confused now!
    ok then - so basically, its hertford, oriel or brasenose i think..........possibly?!
    are they all similar? or actually completely different? what are their similarities/differences between them? and their pros/cons
    argh im confused!! someone please make a bit of sense! thank you!

ReputationRep:
    just pick one you like, i picked a college i liked the look of, but in october am heading to a completely different one! They're all unique.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    Mansfield *is* tiny. At 150 people it's about 60% of Corpus, the next smallest.
    Regent's Park is even smaller, IIRC.

190 mate.

As the saying goes, it's like Kylie. Small but perfectly formed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oriel historian)
    H&E I wasn't picking on Will or anything of the sort - you called me a hack once, and I'm about as far from that as possible
    Fair enough. I think it was just the comparison to Dowling which set me off - his hacking was just so brazen and shameless and egotistical and rude and etc etc. And Will's so completely the opposite of that!

And on the remainder of Oriel, I think we're actually fairly close in our assessment. I didn't argue at all that it's unavoidable; I just don't think it's fair to say it's just a stereotype. Though there does appear to be something of a changing of the guard with hacks, the numbers here are too small to really tell (get one/or two involved next year and suddenly you're a hacky college again). And the rowing stereotype's still definitely true - rowing is bigger at Oriel, in almost every sense, than at anywhere else. Though again, I'd imagine not everyone encouters that.

(Original post by maxwelledison)
    190 mate.

As the saying goes, it's like Kylie. Small but perfectly formed.
    I'm going to use the defence that a hack gave me my figure. Blame them.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.