Turn on thread page Beta

Help which course is best? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I don't know whether do do joint sports science with psychology or psychology single honours. I have a basic idea of what Id like to do as a career, probably either aim to be a psychologist or physiotherapy. Of course im gonna have to do another degree after if I choose physio but my A levels were not good enough anyway so Im gonna have to do a degree.

I like the physiology stuff thats involved in sport but im worried it'l look stupid the title 'psychology with sports science' on the degree certificate lol. Will a joint degree be less respected than psychology?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Do the single honours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Caddie)
    Do the single honours.
    What makes you say that? Is it more respected or something.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be doing a joint honours degree - psychology and counselling. I'm hoping to become a counselling psychologist or a psychotherapist. I don't think a joint honours degree will be less respected, at the end of the day it depends on what you want to do in the future. In your case either will be useful. You should just do what you are going to find more interesting. Sorry, I know that's not a very helpful answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saturn)
    Yes, I would say so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*Sweetness*~)
    I'm going to be doing a joint honours degree - psychology and counselling. I'm hoping to become a counselling psychologist or a psychotherapist. I don't think a joint honours degree will be less respected, at the end of the day it depends on what you want to do in the future. In your case either will be useful. You should just do what you are going to find more interesting. Sorry, I know that's not a very helpful answer.
    The psychology and counselling course is single honours at my uni so its a good combination. The thing is I started psychology this time last year but quit cause I kept getting ill probably through the drinking/no sleep lol but even though I liked psychology I found it boring. Im willing to put more effort in this year but I thought sports sci would add interest too it and help if I decided to do physio. Though if I wanted to progress in psychology a joint degree might give a disadvantage :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Well you've said yourself that you found psychology on its own boring so I would say that your best bet would be to combine it with sports science or possibly another subject that you're interested in. It doesn't have to be 50/50 after the second year anyway. I wouldn't have thought it was a disadvantage to not have a single honours psych degree if you wanted to further it because it's such a broad subject anyway. It may even be to your advantage having another subject alongside it. It's certainly going to help if you decide that you don't actually want to carry on with psychology! Anyway, good luck with your decision.

ReputationRep:
    I think a single honours is more respected and even more when the combined subjects dont have much to do with each other!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know whether do do joint sports science with psychology or psychology single honours. I have a basic idea of what Id like to do as a career, probably either aim to be a psychologist or physiotherapy. Of course im gonna have to do another degree after if I choose physio but my A levels were not good enough anyway so Im gonna have to do a degree.

I like the physiology stuff thats involved in sport but im worried it'l look stupid the title 'psychology with sports science' on the degree certificate lol. Will a joint degree be less respected than psychology?

Thanks
    I was in a similar position, I think you should do psychology single though as you can still do physio after if you change your mind.

ReputationRep:
    Do the joint. Trust me

ReputationRep:
    Firstly i would look at the modules available for the psychology single honours degree - i doubt it but there might be something along a sports science topic that would interest you.
    If I were you I would go for single honours, only because i dont think sports science would be particularly useful for a career in psychology.
    But then again you could always do a postgrad of whatever to improve your chances of getting a career in either physiotherapy or pscyhology.
    If you enjoy sports science, is there ever a chance you would want a career based on it? if so then of course a joint honours would be more beneficial!
    Oh dear Im not sure now... pick it out of a hat... only joking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Caddie)
    Yes, I would say so.
    lol who on earth told you that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    lol who on earth told you that.
    Makes you feel a bit crap if you're planning on or are already doing a joint honours degree doesn't it?

ReputationRep:
    There's no reason why joint honours should be less respected - you can sell it on your CV as bredth of study. Importantly though; are both courses BPS accredited?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peacey)
    There's no reason why joint honours should be less respected - you can sell it on your CV as bredth of study. Importantly though; are both courses BPS accredited?
    Yeah they are both accredited. Its just im really thinking of doing physiotherapy after but am also interested in psychology. I like learning about biology and bones and muscles lol thats why I was thinking of doing sport as well.
    Would I get on a physiotherapy course with a psychology degree? I have crap A levels.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they are both accredited. Its just im really thinking of doing physiotherapy after but am also interested in psychology. I like learning about biology and bones and muscles lol thats why I was thinking of doing sport as well.
    Would I get on a physiotherapy course with a psychology degree? I have crap A levels.

Dunno if this might help you sort things out, but I just had an appointment with my physiotherapist this morning (got bad neck pain), and we were talking about unis etc.
    She took a degree in psychology and biology at Exeter, and then did another degree in physiotherapy at university of east london.
    Now shes a phsyiotherapist working part time, possibly earning good money as well :p:
    So even though she did a joint honours she still managed to become a physiotherapist, and probably had an advantage over other students cos she had a better breadth of knowledge!
    Good luck whatever you choose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    the only real problem with joint honours courses are professional accreditation and organisation.

The accreditation is easy to check out - the organisation and communication between the two branches of the course isn't. If the two branches are taught by a single department (eg politics and IR) then it's likely to be well organised. If the joint course tends to have a large number of people on it (more than 15 or so a year) then it's likely to be well organised. If either of these aren't true then contact the uni's concerned and ask them a lot of questions about organisation of timetabling, coursework, assumptions made about extra modules that you may not have covered on the joint course and tutorial support in BOTH subjects.

If you spend 3 years having double booked lectures, masses of coursework all due at once, exams/coursework with an emphasis on a topic you haven't covered but everyone on the straigh degree has and just generally being completely ignored by one or other dept in terms of pastoral care then you're likely to have 3 years of stress and struggle that aren't necessary and make it much much more difficult to obtain the degree you deserve.
    yea I see what your saying. It seems as though they have organized the modules taking into account that people might have chosen joint degree and some lectures are repeated twice a week. If anything Im just worried about feeling lost as in not belonging to any particular department plus if I take the joint course I'l have three 9.30 am lectures a week whereas the singe I'l only have 1... but hey it would be stupid to make a desision(sp) based just on that.

Poptart - cheers for that At least I know they arn't so bothered about joint courses.

ReputationRep:
    don't be worried about having rubbish a-levels and not getting inot a hysio course. I got CCD and did a sports therapy degree - am starting on a physio BSc at St Georges in 4 weeks time! There are a few ohers wh post in the healthcare froum who didn't do so well in their a-levels and did other degrees and are now going to take acceleratedd courses 9over 2 years instead of 3). As long as you do well in your degree there is a good chance of you getting in despite your a-level grades.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 24, 2005
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.