Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Scan reading the appropriate threads it seems that most people have AAA offers, and some even higher. Was just wondering who on here got a lower offer... do you think the number of lower offers are decreasing as more and more people apply with impeccable grades?

Also, does anyone know (or can they guess) as to how and why a college decides to offer AAB instead of AAA? Is it because they want a certain applicant more?

ReputationRep:
    I have an AAB offer but I am doing Advanced Highers instead of A-Levels so maybe they regard them as slightly harder (in the subjects I'm doing anyway).

ReputationRep:
    i got AAB cos they want me that much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astros4ws)
    i got AAB cos they want me that much
    So much that you were rejected by your first choice college!

ReputationRep:
    Well, my offer this time last year was AAB to read Classics at Exeter, Oxford.

I think that most of the arts subjects give AAB offer - at least that's what was happening when I applied. The only people I met whose offers were AAA were medics.

However, a lot changes in a year! Our college, for example, got into trouble with the university apparently for having such a large first year this time round, so I guess that may have affected this year's interviewees offers and indeed the number of places in general.

I think most people who get into Oxford get AAA; in fact, out of everyone I've met at uni so far (not just in my own year) no-one except me got less than AAA (I got AAB)!

J
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sazzle)
    So much that you were rejected by your first choice college!
    lol. Exactly what i was thinking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarco)
    They've gone a bit quiet!

ReputationRep:
    They've gone a bit quiet!
    Thats a real shame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarco)
    Thats a real shame.
    At least you're not going to be in the same year as him/her

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubblymintyaero)
    Well, my offer this time last year was AAB to read Classics
    same here. Most people I know had AAB offers last year; maybe the standard offer has gone up this year?

ReputationRep:
    Good point. Ah well.

ReputationRep:
    will depend on the course a fair amount, for example, they'll drop the last one to a B if it is in a subject they regard as irrelevant to the course. They certainly do that sometimes in compsci - they usually don't care about anything other than maths, further maths and physics in compsci.

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarco)
    thats cos my first choice was slight, actually about 3 times, more popular than urs.

ReputationRep:
    If you go on the college websites and read the subject pages, then you can find out before you apply. E.g. when I was researching the geography colleges, the Keble, Jesus, Christchurch, Mansfield, St Annes, all said their typical offers for geography were AAB, whereas the others mostly said AAA

ReputationRep:
    thats cos my first choice was slight, actually about 3 times, more popular than urs.
    Quantity doesn't equal quality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rts)
    I have an AAB offer but I am doing Advanced Highers instead of A-Levels so maybe they regard them as slightly harder (in the subjects I'm doing anyway).
    I've got an AAA offer and I'm doing AHs too... I was really, really hoping for an AAB offer (I'm worried over my Stats; I'm doing Pure Maths, Applied and Physics). AHs are harder cos they're not modular, but that's not widely recognised (you just have to get over 70% in the one paper per AH); maybe you have a more enlightened college! Where's your offer from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mussed)
    I've got an AAA offer and I'm doing AHs too... I was really, really hoping for an AAB offer (I'm worried over my Stats; I'm doing Pure Maths, Applied and Physics). AHs are harder cos they're not modular, but that's not widely recognised (you just have to get over 70% in the one paper per AH); maybe you have a more enlightened college! Where's your offer from?
    My offer is from Churchill - yours? It says in the prospectus that for Natural Sciences, the standard offer is AAB in Advanced Highers. So your course is probably harder/more popular. In physics (and chemistry and bio) you do an investigation that makes up a certain percentage of the mark (but I don't know how much), but I would still much prefer modules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarco)
    do u no th eplay an inspector calls

ReputationRep:
    whats with the hostility, i was only being sarcastic with my "its cos they want me so much" anyway.

ReputationRep:
    whats with the hostility, i was only being sarcastic with my "its cos they want me so much" anyway.
    yeah coz ppl dont know if ppl are being sarcastics or being *****....happens to me alot....

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.