Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    I think if you get AAA + 1,2 Trinity will still take you in, since 1,1 is such a hard offer to meet.
    Last year, according to oxbridge-info profiles, offers for Maths at Trinity to those who were at non-selctive state schools were AAB + 2,2 in either Step 1,2 or Step 2,3. Because of the increase in numbers applying this year, offers to same situation now seem to be AAB + 1,1 STEP. If the numbers applying have resulted in upping the STEP offers it seems unlikely they will accept lower results
    Work your socks off to meet your offers, don't rely on less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    Last year, according to oxbridge-info profiles, offers for Maths at Trinity to those who were at non-selctive state schools were AAB + 2,2 in either Step 1,2 or Step 2,3. Because of the increase in numbers applying this year, offers to same situation now seem to be AAB + 1,1 STEP. If the numbers applying have resulted in upping the STEP offers it seems unlikely they will accept lower results
    Work your socks off to meet your offers, don't rely on less.
    Darn. If only I was a year older. Looking on the bright side though, it may be that, although there are way more candidates, there are still only the same (or a similar) number of people who are likely to get 1,1s, meaning they might be forced to let more people through on 1,2s. I'll give it my best shot though.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly as meepmeep has said, the standard of applicant has not changed over the past year, and the same proportion of people will still get S/1 grades. Incidentally, i knew several people who got a trinity maths offer last year, and only one person got a 2,2 offer, the rest were 1,2 or 1,1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tifa)
    Scan reading the appropriate threads it seems that most people have AAA offers, and some even higher. Was just wondering who on here got a lower offer... do you think the number of lower offers are decreasing as more and more people apply with impeccable grades?

Also, does anyone know (or can they guess) as to how and why a college decides to offer AAB instead of AAA? Is it because they want a certain applicant more?

hi! i got an AAB open offer to read Law at Oxford- so did my friend at Keble, did any other law students get that?

ReputationRep:
    a friend has AAB offer for law at pembroke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    I think if you get AAA + 1,2 Trinity will still take you in, since 1,1 is such a hard offer to meet.
    I wouldn't count on it. I have heard of people being rejected on these grounds. They make more offers than they have room for. How much leeway they give you if you slip a grade depends on how many other people make their offers. iow, if they make 100 offers for 75 places, and 80 people make their offers, they will not let you in even if you only slip a single mark in STEP. But if only 65 people make their grades they might let you in. And of course there's always the summer pool, but the best thing is to revise like a mad thing between now and June.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rts)
    I have an AAB offer but I am doing Advanced Highers instead of A-Levels so maybe they regard them as slightly harder (in the subjects I'm doing anyway).
    what subjects are u doing, im doing advanced highers as well

ReputationRep:
    m twin brother has had an ABB offer for history at jesus cambridge. I am so jealous with my AAA offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iiikewldude)
    what subjects are u doing, im doing advanced highers as well
    chemistry, physics maths & higher computing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tifa)
    Scan reading the appropriate threads it seems that most people have AAA offers, and some even higher. Was just wondering who on here got a lower offer... do you think the number of lower offers are decreasing as more and more people apply with impeccable grades?

Also, does anyone know (or can they guess) as to how and why a college decides to offer AAB instead of AAA? Is it because they want a certain applicant more?
    Im in my first year at oxford studying modern history and my offer was a in history and an a and a b (AAB). since arriving i was told by my tutor that this was because of the school i went to (state comprehensive). i dont know if this is the same with other subjects/colleges however as my friend from the same school got an offer for AAA for maths at brasenose. some of my friends at oxford didnt meet their offers but were still accepted - one had to get AAA and got AAB and another had to get AAB like me with an A in history and didnt get the A in hitsory and was still offered a place

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.