Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i was reading in the paper today about people being able to "**** off" for want of a better phrase, Christianity, and whites in general, whereas other minority groups get offended about anything it seems. (sorry about the "whites" thing, its the only word i cld think of, but i dnt agree wit it) Surely political correctness is gettin a tad bizarre!?

ReputationRep:
    i think that people are more afraid
    of being seen as a racist or unintelligent than 50 yrs ago;
    so they are careful what they say and
    what terms they use to describe people.

For instance - isn't calling someone a
    eskimo politically incorrect now?

ReputationRep:
    the monthly magazine my local council produces had on the front page of this Christmas's edition a photo of a christmas tree with all the different religous symbols hanging on it as decorations...even a rasta one (this isn;t even a proper religion!), the main feature of the mag was how great christmas is cos all religions celebrate and there were apparently lots of other festivals going on too.

i thought this was little silly, sometimes people try so hard to be inclusive (dont you hate that word?), fair and tolerant that they just end up patronising people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nero076)
    the monthly magazine my local council produces had on the front page of this Christmas's edition a photo of a christmas tree with all the different religous symbols hanging on it as decorations...even a rasta one (this isn;t even a proper religion!), the main feature of the mag was how great christmas is cos all religions celebrate and there were apparently lots of other festivals going on too.

i thought this was little silly, sometimes people try so hard to be inclusive (dont you hate that word?), fair and tolerant that they just end up patronising people

I'll admit to getting annoyed when you aren't allowed to call Christmas by its real name for fear of offending people - like in the states all the Christmas cards say 'Happy Winter Holiday' etc. What a load of rubbish! It's Christmas, so call it that. Sometimes political correctness really does get daft.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    I'll admit to getting annoyed when you aren't allowed to call Christmas by its real name for fear of offending people - like in the states all the Christmas cards say 'Happy Winter Holiday' etc. What a load of rubbish! It's Christmas, so call it that. Sometimes political correctness really does get daft.
    But "Seasons Greeting" has been used for generations without anyone noticing that it's completely non-religious

ReputationRep:
    Didn't one of the local councils up north a couple of years back call their Christmas festival "Winterval"??

ReputationRep:
    Well, here's a real great example of "PC gone mad" that happened somewhere (I forget where exactly - probably the People's Republic of California) in the US this Thanksgiving.

Apparently, the kids at a local elementary (average age 6) were planning to have a thanksgiving play with half dressed up as pilgrims and the other half as indians.

Unfortunately they were stopped as the costumes they had for the indians (presumably feathers/war paint etc) was deemed too steryotypical even though it was probably fairly typical of how red indians actually would have dressed 400 odd years ago.

(God - now I've really gone and done it......."red-indians"........what am I saying?........surely I mean "native americans"........I must be punished for being such an evil white imperialist.......)

I think any philosophy which suggests that a black man should be, and indeed wishes to be referred to as a "person of color" should really be called into question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    But "Seasons Greeting" has been used for generations without anyone noticing that it's completely non-religious

That's true But it wasn't quite so in-yer-face...

ReputationRep:
    The law of blashphemy protects criticism of Christianity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nero076)
    Didn't one of the local councils up north a couple of years back call their Christmas festival "Winterval"??
    hahahahahaha! winterval!!!! thats great! *dries eyes* ROFL

ReputationRep:
    Rastapharianism is an actual religion.

But yes i totally agree with that card fiasco. I personally don't think its such a big deal if there is religious symbols on cards. I remember my dad actually being vexed about there not being any reference to christmas (hes not christian) on the card he got from the BBC - instead it was something about having a tipple. This politcal correctness thing is kinda getting out of hand, people are making big deals out of such small thing - its pointless and timewasting. I mean who really cares if your sent a card with a cross on it saying merry christmas. People who come to this country should be aware that it is a predominately christian society therefore christian references are bound to be apparant. People who consider it an insult or racism by being sent a card saying 'Merry Christmas' should really not be in this country. Narrow-mindedness gets people no-where, neither does being too open-minded, people can get carried away.

By the way, Season Greetings is perfectly apt if you really want to avoid all the hoo haa about being racist or being narrow minded, which is silly in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    I have noticed a lot of people who have no problems blaming all the ills of the world on Christianity (this) being a wonderful example.

I also notice some people who get way too offended at the idea of anything God coming anywhere near them- for instance, saying that you can't put up a Christmas tree because it's a Christian symbol. Because obviously, non-christians never celebrate christmas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchie_rox)
    hahahahahaha! winterval!!!! thats great! *dries eyes* ROFL
    As I remember "winterval" was fairly widespread in the 80's when militant and the loony left seemed to control all the local councils.

During this time councils went mad typically re-naming civic buildings as "Nelson Mandela House" and twinning their town's and cities with places like Mogadishu.

Actually, I think the worlds a lot less PC than it was back then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    I have noticed a lot of people who have no problems blaming all the ills of the world on Christianity (this) being a wonderful example.

I also notice some people who get way too offended at the idea of anything God coming anywhere near them- for instance, saying that you can't put up a Christmas tree because it's a Christian symbol. Because obviously, non-christians never celebrate christmas.
    wow, just saw that link! jeez! I got called white trash a while ago...can u imagine what wld have happened to me if the roles were reversed...it just sems like its all stupid! Labour government doesn help howeva!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I'm surprised the Christians don't complain about christmas trees, holly and mistletoes - they're all pagan symbols and nothing to do with Jesus et al

ReputationRep:
    But being politically incorrect is more damaging than when political correctness goes too far.. so I prefer it this way..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    But being politically incorrect is more damaging than when political correctness goes too far.. so I prefer it this way..
    Mmmh... Point made, but still doesn't mean people should go mad with the politcal correctness, it'd end up being politcally incorrect in the opposition direction.

Ie Christians being politcally correct to the extremeties, can results in Non-Christians being politcally incorrect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)

so do you think that we are politically incorrect?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    I don't know... I'm one of those "loonie lefties" and excessive political correction really gets on my nerves. Trying not to offend people is a good thing, but some people are way to sensitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchie_rox)
    so do you think that we are politically incorrect?
    No I think we are pollitically correct as far as race goes (definatley not for gender issues)- I just think that although it is annoying we have to remember that if we swing the other way we'll be a lot worse off.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.