Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nero076)
    Didn't one of the local councils up north a couple of years back call their Christmas festival "Winterval"??
    Yep, two years ago Birmingham City Council had "Happy Winterval" in big lights in an attempt not to offend anyone, to the response by the Muslim community leaders "What are you on about, it's Christmas!"

ReputationRep:
    The problem with political correctness is it all seems to be government driven and the people don't really care. aka Birmingham "Winterval"

muslims are happy for christians to have christmas, christians are happy for muslims to have eid, etc . where's the problem?

there's a difference stopping racism, and being obsessively politically correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchie_rox)
    i was reading in the paper today about people being able to "**** off" for want of a better phrase, Christianity, and whites in general, whereas other minority groups get offended about anything it seems. (sorry about the "whites" thing, its the only word i cld think of, but i dnt agree wit it) Surely political correctness is gettin a tad bizarre!?
    Which paper? There are some of the Sunday rags I would take with as large a pinch of salt as you can get hold of. Not that I'm suggesting the News of the World and the Sunday People arent meticulously researched, beautifully expressed examples of journalism, you understand.
    If the article was as you have quoted it, its argument could I imagine be incredibly easily ripped apart. Thats a biased and seemingly ill-informed description of political correctness for a start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchie_rox)
    i was reading in the paper today about people being able to "**** off" for want of a better phrase, Christianity, and whites in general, whereas other minority groups get offended about anything it seems. (sorry about the "whites" thing, its the only word i cld think of, but i dnt agree wit it) Surely political correctness is gettin a tad bizarre!?
    I did read about this happenin at the bbc in a "respectible" broadsheet last week

mark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    Which paper? There are some of the Sunday rags I would take with as large a pinch of salt as you can get hold of. Not that I'm suggesting the News of the World and the Sunday People arent meticulously researched, beautifully expressed examples of journalism, you understand.
    If the article was as you have quoted it, its argument could I imagine be incredibly easily ripped apart. Thats a biased and seemingly ill-informed description of political correctness for a start.
    express......im not saying its that article that im basing this on, it just got me thinkin about how ridiculous the whole system is! Or i think it is neway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    No I think we are pollitically correct as far as race goes (definatley not for gender issues)- I just think that although it is annoying we have to remember that if we swing the other way we'll be a lot worse off.
    When you talk about 'gender issues' are you talking about men becoming more and more second class citizens in terms of many more laws protecting women than men?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *dave*)
    When you talk about 'gender issues' are you talking about men becoming more and more second class citizens in terms of many more laws protecting women than men?
    im a woman, and i actually agree with that, soon with will have, negative correctness!

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it, since that isnt actually happening.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure the other day, someone gasped when I said the utterly diabolical word "Blackboard".

pft, PC sucks!

ReputationRep:
    As you all probably know I am the most Politically Incorrect person in the world.

If you can't laugh at someone others expense or even your own; your obviosuly an up your own arse idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MurphysMoment.)
    As you all probably know I am the most Politically Incorrect person in the world.

If you can't laugh at someone others expense or even your own; your obviosuly an up your own arse idiot.
    too right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    and now lets get back to the real world...

this also happens with races. Positive discrimination

if a black woman and a white man both applied for the same job, and had the same qualifications, the black woman is more likely to get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dickie)

if a black woman and a white man both applied for the same job, and had the same qualifications, the black woman is more likely to get it.
    Then why are white men still the highest paid group in the U.K?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    Then why are white men still the highest paid group in the U.K?
    Maybe because they get better results at GCSE, A-Level and Degree? Its not racism, its just that on the whole, black people do worse in education than white people. Fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    Of corse it is. A man and a woman have a baby and split up. It would take the mother being a drug addict, alcoholic, gambling psychomanic before the authorities would even attempt to give custody to a father.

ReputationRep:
    Of corse it is. A man and a woman have a baby and split up. It would take the mother being a drug addict, alcoholic, gambling psychomanic before the authorities would even attempt to give custody to a father.
    true

ReputationRep:
    Maybe because they get better results at GCSE, A-Level and Degree? Its not racism, its just that on the whole, black people do worse in education than white people. Fact.
    So have you ever wondered why this might be, or have you simply decided that white people are more intelligent and deserve to be paid more than black people?

ReputationRep:
    So have you ever wondered why this might be, or have you simply decided that white people are more intelligent and deserve to be paid more than black people?
    thats like that saying black men have bigger penis's then white men

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xAngelx)
    thats like that saying black men have bigger penis's then white men
    Errr, not really but well fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    Errr, not really but well fair enough.
    i dont think so, but alot of people say they do i dont agree with it myself

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.