Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    K so we all know that uni's take a somewhat less than favourable view of it but how many/which uni's actually accept it as a subject and under what conditions, has any one here ever had an offer including general studies?

ReputationRep:
    Clown College accept it for sure!

ReputationRep:
    I would check the individual university's entrance requirements to see if they accept General Studies or not.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, alot of them arent that clear on it though, n e who i was just curious as too how many accepted it (i wasnt actually counting on general studies) it just seems to me that attitudes towards it at some unis might have been changing thus making it worthy of investigation

ReputationRep:
    Most universities accept General Studies as with any other subject.

However, for competitive universities and courses, it may wel be ignored, or better still, the university may say they could include it in the offer.

But to emphaise, MOST university accept General Studies as much as they accept A Level Physics.

ReputationRep:
    On the whole, the better the university, the less chance there is they'll take GS. This is because it's quite an easy subject and the places are more competitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    On the whole, the better the university, the less chance there is they'll take GS. This is because it's quite an easy subject and the places are more competitive.
    It's dependent on the course mainly. For things like Law, Medicine, Dentistry etc. the unis will make it clear that they won't consider GS at any level. If they don't do that then my advice would be to give it a good shot as it may get you into uni. I know a couple of people who dropped grades elsewhere but got an A in GS and were allowed in.

ReputationRep:
    My buddy got on an economics course which accepted general studies at Cardiff, but on the whole that is very rare. On most courses they do not make general studies part of your offer, however it is something that they do look at if you miss your grades.

ReputationRep:
    Out of the 6 places I applied to (bristol, sheffield, edinburgh,leicester, nottingham, UEA) I think only Leicester and Sheffield accepted it, UEA might have accepted but I can't remember. for english btw

ReputationRep:
    I always thought that GS had the potential to be a fantastic, respectable qualification to have. When you consider something as demanding as putting together such varied aspects of study, it could have been both interesting and challenging.

Instead, we got tick-box markschemes which didn't even require the ability for logical essay construction and then grade boundaries which were pitifully low in addition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    It's dependent on the course mainly. For things like Law, Medicine, Dentistry etc. the unis will make it clear that they won't consider GS at any level. If they don't do that then my advice would be to give it a good shot as it may get you into uni. I know a couple of people who dropped grades elsewhere but got an A in GS and were allowed in.
    just to be picky, i think one medschool does take GS, but can't remember which one...

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.