Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What is an abstract, in the terms of an a-level piece of coursework?

Write back please i'm new!

Love Cloudy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cloudy)
    What is an abstract, in the terms of an a-level piece of coursework?

Write back please i'm new!

Love Cloudy
    Its a brief summary of your intro/results. It relatively short. You should do it at the end of your work, makes it much easier to summarise your work as you know what you have done.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Its between 100 and 300 words at the start of the work explaining what was looked at, how and what the main conclusions were

SZA is right though - it's best to do when you've finished but place it at the very beginning of the work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Its between 100 and 300 words at the start of the work explaining what was looked at, how and what the main conclusions were

SZA is right though - it's best to do when you've finished but place it at the very beginning of the work.
    100 to 300 words but on conclusions and evaluations etc* i do around 70 words so it wont really effect me a lot
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by eric bischoff)
    100 to 300 words but on conclusions and evaluations etc* i do around 70 words so it wont really effect me a lot
    It's for big coursework/academic papers - usually around 5,000-10,000 words in total...which is why it's good practice to include an abstract for people to read to find out if your paper/research is relevent to them.

ReputationRep:

Yeah thats what i mean - soz if its wasn't clear.

Do it at the end of the work. But place it at the front.

ReputationRep:
    It's for big coursework/academic papers - usually around 5,000-10,000 words in total...which is why it's good practice to include an abstract for people to read to find out if your paper/research is relevent to them.
    how long does it take to do the coursework?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    how long does it take to do the coursework?
    My dissertation took 5 months (but that was alongside the rest of my uni work)...1 week of fieldwork + 2 weeks in the lab + about a month writing up and finding any other relevent papers.

ReputationRep:
    My dissertation took 5 months (but that was alongside the rest of my uni work)...1 week of fieldwork + 2 weeks in the lab + about a month writing up and finding any other relevent papers.
    what happens if you go over 10,000 words
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    what happens if you go over 10,000 words
    I never had that problem (my dissertation was only 4,500 words long (+ 20 pages of lab readouts))...but for every 1000 words over a word limit we would get penalised by losing 5% of our mark...but the levels and the amount penalised would vary depending on who was marking the coursework. Word limits are only really common in the sciences though - art subjects often have word minimums (which is why I chose the sciences )

ReputationRep:
    I never had that problem (my dissertation was only 4,500 words long (+ 20 pages of lab readouts))...but for every 1000 words over a word limit we would get penalised by losing 5% of our mark...but the levels and the amount penalised would vary depending on who was marking the coursework. Word limits are only really common in the sciences though - art subjects often have word minimums (which is why I chose the sciences )
    damn those people who invented word limits but thanks as well

ReputationRep:
    you can also use the "autosummarize" tool on Word, but make sure you check it- it won't always make sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fayzd)
    you can also use the "autosummarize" tool on Word, but make sure you check it- it won't always make sense.
    How do i do that exactly?

PS Thanks SZA, Pencil Queen and the little penguin kid (I've forgot your name sorry!) for your help

Luv Cloudy

ReputationRep:
    How do i do that exactly?

PS Thanks SZA, Pencil Queen and the little penguin kid (I've forgot your name sorry!) for your help

Luv Cloudy
    little penguin kid suits me fine

ReputationRep:
    little penguin kid suits me fine
    Lol!

ReputationRep:
    Lol!
    well your easily pleased

ReputationRep:
    but for every 1000 words over a word limit we would get penalised by losing 5% of our mark
    How many pages is 4500 words?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Bear with my while I dig out the zip disc with the final draft on and I'll tell you....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776 2)
    How many pages is 4500 words?
    why are you using your 2776 2 account?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Bear with my while I dig out the zip disc with the final draft on and I'll tell you....
    It was 29 pages on "Clay Minerals in Jurassic rocks from Dorset"

If you're interested my abstract was:

A study of the clay mineralogy of the Corallian in Dorset found three anomalies: an abundance of smectite, an absence of kaolinite and a sudden change in values within the Bencliff Grit.

It was concluded that the abundance of smectite was due to a combination of increased volcanic activity and differential settling of different sized clay minerals.

The absence of kaolinite was concluded to be due to drainage of major landmasses away from the Wessex Basin, resulting in settling out of large kaolinite flakes elsewhere.

The anomaly in the Bencliff Grit would appear to back up both Goldring et al. (1998) and the indirect sedimentation theories, in that storm related currents could provide a more direct sedimentation route.

Further studies of clay mineralogy of the Corallian, in Dorset and Yorkshire, and sediment maturity studies could help prove or disprove these conclusions.
    Thrilling eh?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2004
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.