Turn on thread page Beta

Abstract watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    It was 29 pages on "Clay Minerals in Jurassic rocks from Dorset"

If you're interested my abstract was:

Thrilling eh?
    29 pages of words. Thats not that bad. But you did say that it included 20 pages of lab reports, so its about 9 pages. Thats pretty decent for 5 months worth of work...

ReputationRep:
    It was 29 pages on "Clay Minerals in Jurassic rocks from Dorset"

If you're interested my abstract was:

Thrilling eh?
    that is very confusing :confused:
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by 2776 2)
    29 pages of words. Thats not that bad. But you did say that it included 20 pages of lab reports, so its about 9 pages. Thats pretty decent for 5 months worth of work...
    That was 29 pages excluding the appendices - 29 pages made up just over 4,500 words (as asked)...there were about 4 pages of that comprising diagrams within the body of the paper.

ReputationRep:
    That was 29 pages excluding the appendices - 29 pages made up just over 4,500 words (as asked)...there were about 4 pages of that comprising diagrams within the body of the paper.
    Thats about 180 words per page...thats a bit low isn't it?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by eric bischoff)
    that is very confusing :confused:
    I looked at the clay from some old rocks - there was more of one type than expected (smectite), none of another type that was expected (kaolinite) and one layer of rocks showed more of the non-existant clay than the layers above and below. The absence (kaolinite) and the abundance (smectite) were both indicators of the climate at the time the rocks were formed - the layer of funnies showed a sudden change in climate....make any more sense?

ReputationRep:
    I looked at the clay from some old rocks - there was more of one type than expected (smectite), none of another type that was expected (kaolinite) and one layer of rocks showed more of the non-existant clay than the layers above and below. The absence (kaolinite) and the abundance (smectite) were both indicators of the climate at the time the rocks were formed - the layer of funnies showed a sudden change in climate....make any more sense?
    Surely you can find that info off the net, or in a book or something?

ReputationRep:
    what makes you think it is low?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Yup - we had a prescribed format of 4cm margins to the left and right and double spaced text...the format usually used for submitting a paper to a journal or for publishing a PhD

ReputationRep:
    yes just remember im 13 so i dont have a clue what your on about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eric bischoff)
    what makes you think it is low?
    Because the book I ahve on my computer composes of 114 pages, and 46174 words. That is 405 words per page. And quite big fonts as well.

ReputationRep:
    Yup - we had a prescribed format of 4cm margins to the left and right and double spaced text...the format usually used for submitting a paper to a journal or for publishing a PhD
    And what about the font size? Do they control that as well? They arn't exactly going to check the amount of words if you make something reasonable up.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Surely you can find that info off the net, or in a book or something?
    Not at the level of detail that is meaningful...clay analysis in relation to palaeoclimate is fairly new (20 yrs or so) and the study is quite laborious (logging the outcrops taking the samples preparing the samples processing the samples and then analysing the results) most type localities have been done but the Osmington outcrop hadn't (and it's the most complete outcrop of corallian rocks in the UK)

Basically 156-157million yrs ago it was hot and dry in devon and cornwall - apart from one mammoth storm.

ReputationRep:
    Because the book I ahve on my computer composes of 114 pages, and 46174 words. That is 405 words per page. And quite big fonts as well.
    bloody hell that is a lot of words
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    And what about the font size? Do they control that as well? They arn't exactly going to check the amount of words if you make something reasonable up.
    Times New Roman, 12

And the files have to be handed in electronically as well as hard copy allowing for a very easy wordcount - it's the most important part of a degree they don't let you get away with bull (or at least not a lot)

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2004
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.