Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
It was 29 pages on "Clay Minerals in Jurassic rocks from Dorset"

If you're interested my abstract was:

Thrilling eh?
29 pages of words. Thats not that bad. But you did say that it included 20 pages of lab reports, so its about 9 pages. Thats pretty decent for 5 months worth of work...
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It was 29 pages on "Clay Minerals in Jurassic rocks from Dorset"

If you're interested my abstract was:

Thrilling eh?
that is very confusing :confused:
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776 2)
29 pages of words. Thats not that bad. But you did say that it included 20 pages of lab reports, so its about 9 pages. Thats pretty decent for 5 months worth of work...
That was 29 pages excluding the appendices - 29 pages made up just over 4,500 words (as asked)...there were about 4 pages of that comprising diagrams within the body of the paper.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
That was 29 pages excluding the appendices - 29 pages made up just over 4,500 words (as asked)...there were about 4 pages of that comprising diagrams within the body of the paper.
Thats about 180 words per page...thats a bit low isn't it?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by eric bischoff)
that is very confusing :confused:
I looked at the clay from some old rocks - there was more of one type than expected (smectite), none of another type that was expected (kaolinite) and one layer of rocks showed more of the non-existant clay than the layers above and below. The absence (kaolinite) and the abundance (smectite) were both indicators of the climate at the time the rocks were formed - the layer of funnies showed a sudden change in climate....make any more sense?
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I looked at the clay from some old rocks - there was more of one type than expected (smectite), none of another type that was expected (kaolinite) and one layer of rocks showed more of the non-existant clay than the layers above and below. The absence (kaolinite) and the abundance (smectite) were both indicators of the climate at the time the rocks were formed - the layer of funnies showed a sudden change in climate....make any more sense?
Surely you can find that info off the net, or in a book or something?
LPK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
what makes you think it is low?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yup - we had a prescribed format of 4cm margins to the left and right and double spaced text...the format usually used for submitting a paper to a journal or for publishing a PhD
LPK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yes just remember im 13 so i dont have a clue what your on about
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by eric bischoff)
what makes you think it is low?
Because the book I ahve on my computer composes of 114 pages, and 46174 words. That is 405 words per page. And quite big fonts as well.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yup - we had a prescribed format of 4cm margins to the left and right and double spaced text...the format usually used for submitting a paper to a journal or for publishing a PhD
And what about the font size? Do they control that as well? They arn't exactly going to check the amount of words if you make something reasonable up.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Surely you can find that info off the net, or in a book or something?
Not at the level of detail that is meaningful...clay analysis in relation to palaeoclimate is fairly new (20 yrs or so) and the study is quite laborious (logging the outcrops taking the samples preparing the samples processing the samples and then analysing the results) most type localities have been done but the Osmington outcrop hadn't (and it's the most complete outcrop of corallian rocks in the UK)

Basically 156-157million yrs ago it was hot and dry in devon and cornwall - apart from one mammoth storm.
LPK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Because the book I ahve on my computer composes of 114 pages, and 46174 words. That is 405 words per page. And quite big fonts as well.
bloody hell that is a lot of words
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
And what about the font size? Do they control that as well? They arn't exactly going to check the amount of words if you make something reasonable up.
Times New Roman, 12

And the files have to be handed in electronically as well as hard copy allowing for a very easy wordcount - it's the most important part of a degree they don't let you get away with bull (or at least not a lot)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Had lockdown impacted your relationships?

Yes, my partner and I are struggling (36)
7.52%
Yes, my partner and I broke up (38)
7.93%
Yes, it's hard being around my family so much (115)
24.01%
Yes, I'm feeling lonely isolating alone (67)
13.99%
No, nothing has changed (146)
30.48%
No, it's helped improve my relationships (77)
16.08%

Watched Threads