Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think im average at singing (apart from im flat on a lot of songs and ive no power in my voice). Im wondering though how to you get more power when singing? Just by practice?
    Also Ive always had a really quiet voice ie: found it really hard to talk or shout loud in noisy places) does this have anything to do with power in the voice when singing?

cheers

ReputationRep:
    scream, just scream

its good for the body

i scream, you scream, we all scream

for ice cream

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saturn)
    I think im average at singing (apart from im flat on a lot of songs and ive no power in my voice). Im wondering though how to you get more power when singing? Just by practice?
    Also Ive always had a really quiet voice ie: found it really hard to talk or shout loud in noisy places) does this have anything to do with power in the voice when singing?

cheers
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scubar)
    scream, just scream

its good for the body

for ice cream
    haha for some reason i was pishing myself at this post! not literally, because eww...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scubar)
    scream, just scream

its good for the body

for ice cream
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:

cheers

haha and now some REAL advice (kind of)

I'm actually a trained soprano and I don't think you can train singing out of you. (im not trying to sound cocky (or am i eh), so i'll just point out that my voice is the only natural talent i have-and the thing i take pride in most) You're either born with a great voice or not....

DON'T SCREAM. Talking(and screaming)are actually worse for your vocal chords than singing opera is.

However, professional singers like to drink tea and honey before singing.....if that helps at all.

Besides that sorry...singing is something you're born with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlyPie)
    haha and now some REAL advice (kind of)

I'm actually a trained soprano and I don't think you can train singing out of you. (im not trying to sound cocky (or am i eh), so i'll just point out that my voice is the only natural talent i have-and the thing i take pride in most) You're either born with a great voice or not....

DON'T SCREAM. Talking(and screaming)are actually worse for your vocal chords than singing opera is.

However, professional singers like to drink tea and honey before singing.....if that helps at all.

Besides that sorry...singing is something you're born with.
    You must be able to improve it though like anything else or else there would be no point in singing lessons. I just dont know how to

ReputationRep:
    practice, practice, practice.

stay away from things that'll clog your throat, like dairy products. Drinks teas and room-temp liquids to clear. Humidity and the cold are not your friends.

Otherwise, practice, practice, practice. :-)

ReputationRep:
    You must be able to improve it though like anything else or else there would be no point in singing lessons. I just dont know how to
    Well singing lessons are for people with good voices who want to practice breathing abdominally (and thus expanding air capacity to further power) and also practice methods for "open" singing.

If you have a voice that's good already, it will work. I don't think it's possible to train someone without a good voice to have a good voice. You are born with the capability of hearing notes, intonality, etc. You are also born with the vocal chords that make it possible to be a good singer.

However if you have a good voice and you want to practice power (which is open singing and breathing abdominally) try breathing exercises where you expand your abdominal area outwards when breathing. Thus you breathe deeply and not "up and down" in the chest area.

As for the "open" singing--I have found it somewhat difficult to keep it open all the time because sometimes you think you are doing it, but you're not. You have to keep your tongue down and your upper mouth area "lifted."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlyPie)
    Well singing lessons are for people with good voices who want to practice breathing abdominally (and thus expanding air capacity to further power) and also practice methods for "open" singing.

If you have a voice that's good already, it will work. I don't think it's possible to train someone without a good voice to have a good voice. You are born with the capability of hearing notes, intonality, etc. You are also born with the vocal chords that make it possible to be a good singer.

However if you have a good voice and you want to practice power (which is open singing and breathing abdominally) try breathing exercises where you expand your abdominal area outwards when breathing. Thus you breathe deeply and not "up and down" in the chest area.

As for the "open" singing--I have found it somewhat difficult to keep it open all the time because sometimes you think you are doing it, but you're not. You have to keep your tongue down and your upper mouth area "lifted."
    ok cheers I dont know if I have a good voice im too embarrased to let anyone listen. Would you do me a favour sometime? Tell me if my sister has a good voice, shes 17, I dont think its that good but my parents think so :confused: I'l get her to sing and upload it sometime :cool:

ReputationRep:
    ok cheers I dont know if I have a good voice im too embarrased to let anyone listen. Would you do me a favour sometime? Tell me if my sister has a good voice, shes 17, I dont think its that good but my parents think so :confused: I'l get her to sing and upload it sometime :cool:
    yeah sure..just give me a pm once you upload it..and i'll offer you a brutally honest opinion

sing in the shower...lalala

ReputationRep:
    gargle...
    then yodel...
    then sove a sword down your throat...

ReputationRep:
    Learn to rap.

ReputationRep:
    Slypie doesn't seem to know whaqt she's on about. Whatever you do, do not carry on practicing without lessons. It will get you into bad habits and will not be good for your vocal chords. Get some professional lessons. They'll teach you how to breathe properly and how to form notes and annuciate correctly.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicbloke)
    Slypie doesn't seem to know whaqt she's on about. Whatever you do, do not carry on practicing without lessons. It will get you into bad habits and will not be good for your vocal chords. Get some professional lessons. They'll teach you how to breathe properly and how to form notes and annuciate correctly.

MB
    He's right. Ignore everything Slypie's just said. Get lessons and your ear and voice will improve a huge amount, even if you're not going to be the next Pavarotti.

ReputationRep:
    definately get pro lessons- without them theres a high chance you'll actually make things worse.

(Original post by heminder)
    gargle...
    then yodel...
    then sove a sword down your throat...
    i haven't yodelled in ages.*tries*
    *fails* :eek:

*hurries off to practice*

ReputationRep:
    hahaha

I've got the best voice outta all of ya :ciao: :eviltongu

ReputationRep:
    I'm also a trained singer, but what slypie says is true to some extent, -it is alot easier, and you get more out of it if the person is naturally talented. If you don't have that, then yes you can improve immensely in lessons depending on your teacher, but this can improve your technique, breathing, and sometimes pitch etc but it won't necessarily have that added quality of sound to your voice/richness (well actually just the tone of your voice) that you may have naturally.
    ANd for your original question, yes you can get more power, but it takes years of practise , there is no quick fix solution.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.