Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey heres my sister lol im warning now she's not good! I just wanna know if shes rubbish, average, ok or quite good. She thinks shes rubbish but Id say OK :confused: Chances are whatever she is I am cause were both about as bad as each other lol.
    I dont know the song well but im sure she sang the words wrong
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: wav sg1.wav (325.0 KB, 57 views)

ReputationRep:
    drink. That gets everyone in tune. Or get eberyone else drunk so no one notices. Either way works well enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR_JR)
    drink. That gets everyone in tune. Or get eberyone else drunk so no one notices. Either way works well enough

haha, how very true! works every time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saturn)
    Hey heres my sister lol im warning now she's not good! I just wanna know if shes rubbish, average, ok or quite good. She thinks shes rubbish but Id say OK :confused: Chances are whatever she is I am cause were both about as bad as each other lol.
    I don't think she has a good voice, then again im no expert and Ive heard worse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saturn)
    she's singing very quietly and certainly nmot breating correctly. The sound is coming from her throat (as you can hear from the pronounced glottle stops). The incorrect breathing is also causing some of the notes to sound flat. It's not so much a problem of internal intonation but the fact that when you breathe incorrectly it is much more difficult to hit and sustain the notes. Also, the bits of vibrato sound really forced. I'm sure she'd be good with lessons. Oh and also, all the resonance is going through her nose, which leads me to suspect that she is not opening her mouth and throat as fully as needed. I know that this sort of effect is rather pleasing to the dilletantes who appreciate more popular idioms but to my ear it sounds crap.

MB

ReputationRep:
    She sounds a good singer to me, plus if she has all them inexperienced faults that mb said it means she could be extra good with lessons.

ReputationRep:
    X FACTOR, now thats fun for everybody to enjoy, if you're good we'll cheer, if not, well, you don't need to worry about that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scubar)
    X FACTOR, now thats fun for everybody to enjoy, if you're good we'll cheer, if not, well, you don't need to worry about that
    lol shes not good enough for x factor, does she have a bit of natural talent though or no natural voice at all?

mb you seem to know what your talking about man your right she hardly opens her mouth if she sings! She also said she sometimes finds it hard to do vibrato.

Im into singing now from watching x factor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicbloke)
    she's singing very quietly and certainly nmot breating correctly. The sound is coming from her throat (as you can hear from the pronounced glottle stops). The incorrect breathing is also causing some of the notes to sound flat. It's not so much a problem of internal intonation but the fact that when you breathe incorrectly it is much more difficult to hit and sustain the notes. Also, the bits of vibrato sound really forced. I'm sure she'd be good with lessons. Oh and also, all the resonance is going through her nose, which leads me to suspect that she is not opening her mouth and throat as fully as needed. I know that this sort of effect is rather pleasing to the dilletantes who appreciate more popular idioms but to my ear it sounds crap.

MB

Music, as for your previous criticisms about what I suggested saturn to do-- I was simply regurgitating what I learned from my singing professor. G-O-D. Frankly singing pop music is very different to singing classical/operatic music. And yes breathing abdominally and learning to keep an "open" sound is key in singing classical music. So please, stop trying to condescend on my suggestions. (I've actually played another instrument for 12 years in my life--you're not the only expert on music, alluding to your s/n. It's true that lessons will improve people's voices, but it's not going to change their vocal chords and produce different sounds. If you're born with a good voice, you have one. If you aren't, then you aren't.)

Anyway saturn---her voice is okay. She is flat, but I don't know too much about singing pop music..It's quite different to classical. But does she sing classical music? And is it possible to provide a clip of that? Then I could offer advice.

If you want to take lessons for singing, usually professors at universities are the way to go. However they are pretty expensive, and they teach classical repertoire, so no pop/contemporary/popular music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicbloke)
    Slypie doesn't seem to know whaqt she's on about. Whatever you do, do not carry on practicing without lessons. It will get you into bad habits and will not be good for your vocal chords. Get some professional lessons. They'll teach you how to breathe properly and how to form notes and annuciate correctly.

MB
    If she's talking about pop music--there are no lessons that can take to train for that.(Actually professors don't respect pop music because they think it doesn't require the technique that they have studied professionally.)

And, c'mon,Mariah Carey--she was born with her voice.

And if you were talking about enunciating in classical music, it's a different issue and then you should take professional lessons. If you read my post carefully, you'd realize what I was saying-- that if you have a good voice then take lessons. If you don't, there's no point.

Frankly, for someone around our age like Charlotte Church, she was born with that talent. She couldn't simply take lessons to get a beautiful voice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    He's right. Ignore everything Slypie's just said. Get lessons and your ear and voice will improve a huge amount, even if you're not going to be the next Pavarotti.
    When did I say NOT to get lessons if you have a good voice?

There's simply no point in getting them without a good voice to begin with.

Comprehension, por favor.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.