Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    :eek:

On a letter i got, it says that we (freshers) are matriculated on the 15th October. Do we need to buy special gowns for this, and if so which one and how much does it cost?

And why will the guy be deliberating in Latin...is there going to be a translator, because i dont know a word of Latin :eek:

PK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil23)
    :eek:

On a letter i got, it says that we (freshers) are matriculated on the 15th October. Do we need to buy special gowns for this, and if so which one and how much does it cost?

And why will the guy be deliberating in Latin...is there going to be a translator, because i dont know a word of Latin :eek:

PK
    You only need one gown - which you need for matriculation and exams, typically for college exams (collections) and for formal hall in most colleges. They're called Commoner's Gowns and Shepherd and Woodward list them as £26. You can often buy them for much less second hand.

For matriculation you also need the rest of subfusc including a mortar board.

EDIT: all the latin stuff is translated in a handout - but no-one listens and you won't be tested on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    You only need one gown - which you need for matriculation and exams, typically for college exams (collections) and for formal hall in most colleges. They're called Commoner's Gowns and Shepherd and Woodward list them as £26. You can often buy them for much less second hand.

For matriculation you also need the rest of subfusc including a mortar board.

EDIT: all the latin stuff is translated in a handout - but no-one listens and you won't be tested on it. :rolleyes:
    what is that in bold?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil23)
    what is that in bold?
    subfusc is the name given to the get-up you need for matriculation and exams and graduation.

Dark suit, white shirt, white tie, black shoes, gown, mortar board

ReputationRep:
    I have a doubt: for graduation (as in degree conferment) for BA/B.Sc, postgrads etc, should we buy a different gown? I was loitering around in the ChCh shop today and saw this academic gown brochure which had a different gown (with embroidered lace)- so is that to be bought as well???

ReputationRep:
    you will need a robe for your graduation ceremony - but since you dont have your ceremony for atleast 3 months after you finish your degree, no need to be worried about that right now.
    You can hire them, but you never know - you may want to keep it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    you will need a robe for your graduation ceremony - but since you dont have your ceremony for atleast 3 months after you finish your degree, no need to be worried about that right now.
    You can hire them, but you never know - you may want to keep it
    They know how to make money :mad: Maybe I should borrow my brother's... which would mean that I'll need someone to hold it up like a train :p:
    Graduation is in October... so I might have to start worrying.

ReputationRep:
    ohright - well...if you need a page boy (you cant get marital iconoclasm out of your head right now, can you )
    ah - tis a little closer then...they certainly do know how to make money, then again if your at ChCh theres probably a grant for it....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    ohright - well...if you need a page boy (you cant get marital iconoclasm out of your head right now, can you )
    ah - tis a little closer then...they certainly do know how to make money, then again if your at ChCh theres probably a grant for it....
    :doh: I was thinking more along the lines of Encaenia :hmpf:
    Not at ChCh, so no grant- I might have to do a part time job to cook up that 270 pounds - 270! Imagine! :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    HOW MUCH???
    come on - i mean, i know the degrees here are very valuable, but thats taking the pish!
    maybe you should try and raise your public image to get that honourary degree then...although it is around 10 months to wait until Encaenia - so worth a shot

ReputationRep:
    220- gown
    47- hood
    Unless we don't have to wear gowns, but probably have to. Apparently for undergrads, it's just 120 - unfair!

ReputationRep:
    hmm - just 120 sounds too much for what is basically a cloak with a strip of lace round the neck.
    I suppose since ur doing your grad stuff you'll only really need to buy that one, but still seems a fortune

ReputationRep:
    and buy another one for D Phil too. Let's hope that I get to wear the gowns often *wishful thinking-visualises All Souls, Exam Schools, Vice chancellorship....*

ReputationRep:
    your not at all souls are you? :eek:
    It must be so dull...i mean...they dont even have a telly...
    why be a vice chancellor when you can be the proper chancellor and have a fantastically paid token position with no real work

ReputationRep:
    I have survived without telly for a year There is more a likelihood of me becoming the VC (albeit a very impossible likelihood) than the chancellor- my wishful thinking can be quite realistic too.

ReputationRep:
    hehe - i know what you mean...i only watch tv when i'm at home, and thats just because it helps me get over the day doing a dead-end job....
    the wishful thinking thing is useful i find too

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.