The Student Room Group

Cambridge vs. Warwick - Economics!!

Hi everybody!

I've admitted to both Cambridge and Warwick to the Graduate Diploma in Economics programme. Both departments/faculties are very good and more or less equal in terms of rankings of economics departments (not university rankings where cambridge clearly leads!). This means that the quality of staff, i.e. teaching will be approximately on the same level. The programmes are also more or less of comparable structure and difficulty. Maybe the economics at Cambridge is a bit more renowned, but still the differences aren't very significant.

The problem is that I am not sure if Cambridge is the place for me. I cannot describe myself as a "serious" graduate student - I never ever dress formally (i.e. you can see me wearing only streetwear clothing), I go to drumnbass, reggae/dancehall and hiphop parties, I don't do any of the "traditional" sports (I used to do freestlye inline skating) and well, I might thus have a problem with all these traditional formalities Cambridge is famous for (OK-I know I don't have to go to all these formal halls and hang out with the "serious" graduates but don't you think I might then be a bit isolated from the others?). Oh yes, I almost forgot: I've been admitted to one of the newest "colleges on the hill" (chose Trinity and King's when applying - big mistake!) and you can't deny there is still some college "discrimination" among students which I personally cannot stand!

I think that Warwick would suit my personal lifestyle much better than Cambridge. As I have been told the athmosphere there is very relaxed, no formalities or anything... I think that at Warwick I might have a better time than in Cambridge! In short, Warwick is a normal university with a big campus and well, you have to admit it that Cambridge just isn't! But (and this a big but!) - Cambridge is something special, EVERY single person knows this university and vice versa: not many people I talked to here in my home country have every heard of the University of Warwick (I'm not from UK and I don't plan to ever work there)... I'm tired of explaining how excellent Warwick actually is, especially its department of economics! This may sound silly and dumb, but even to me the word "University of Cambridge" sounds much better than "University of Warwick"!!

So here's the situation: I think that lifestyle-wise Warwick would suit me better, but Cambridge has a small lead in terms of academic quality and a big lead in terms of its reputation and name. You have to understand that I will be self-funding my studies no matter where I go and if I take a big loan which will be a big financial burden for me for the next several years, I would really like to:
1. get the best value for my money (in terms of education, facilities offered, etc.) and
2. have a good time (I don't wanna come to Cambridge just to find out I am bored to death because there are no things that interest me there).

I really can't decide so I thought I might ask all of you what you think about it. I would really appreciate any constructive comments and thoughts (pro & contra)! Don't just bitch that I shouldn't be thinking of Cambridge if I'm not sure I'm gonna like it - it's a bit more complex than that!

Thank you!

Tom

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hehe, nasty situation!

- Cambridge more internationally renound
- Warwick larger campus
- Warwick based in Coventory = major con
- Cambridge very elitest, but you'll have friends who'll be amongst the world leaders (the same may be true at Warwick, but probably to a lesser degree)
- Cambridge you have smaller group tuition
- If you go to Cambridge, your CV will be strong all around the world inc America
- Going to Warwick, means your CV will still be strong but not as strong in America for example
- Cambridge is based in a poxy town
- Cambridge, I believe, is catered - no cooking hassle!

Personally, if I were you I'd take Cambridge. Did you go to the Cambridge interview days? - was it really that bad?

Admittedly, I applied to Oxford and would have taken Warwick over Oxford - I didn't get Oxford, for the record (I'm not just saying that, I picked Warwick over LSE too)

Remember one thing: its your choice, your mistake or non-mistake to make - its your crtical moment; don't let friends, family, TSR or anyone else make the decision for you. The ball is in your court!
Reply 2
Alex, thanks for your thoughts!

I didn't go to the interview since graduates don't have to attend one. We also don't have "smaller group tuition" as you suggest - teaching is internal only, there's no teaching in colleges for graduates; from this aspect Cambridge and Warwick therefore don't differ much.

I know it's my choice but I'd still like to hear some input from other people (especially those who study/studied economics). And I don't even have much time left...

Cheers, Tom
Cambridge is not a 'poxy town'. It's not a metropolis, but it's hardly 'poxy'.
Reply 4
even though im going warwick.. Come on, if i had the chance to go to CAMBRIDGE i couldnt turn it down. At the end of the day, once you leave, you'll be sorted for life.
Reply 5
warwick is the best uni in the world

i dont see an issue
Reply 6
carltona is right! also , a major reason for goin warwick... I'LL BE THERE! wow, decision made, dontcha think? :p:

its a tough decision actually. I'm not sure which is actually better, but I'd assume you'd be seen as a genius by other people for having a degree from cambridge.

However, having seen both I did prefer warwick.
Reply 7
Well I preferred Warwick as a university; it seemed friendlier and more social, but I would choose Cambridge. Although educationally they're equal for economics, Cambridge would give you such a head start when you try to get a job and also on the social ladder, if these things matter to you... Not only that but Cambridge is more respected than Warwick abroad, which is obviously very important to you. If you have the chance to go to Cambridge, go!

I'm planning to do my masters at Cambridge :smile: Is it true you don't have an interview?!
Reply 8
I would choose Cambridge I guess for the name. And also you'd be going there to study for post grad and I would have thought the name of where you studied would be quite important...
Its whats more important to you in the end... not to say you wont have a social life at camb. And just so you know, warwicks social life reputation isnt that good either!

Carltona - warwick is good but not that good :wink:
Reply 9
you nutter

i dunno, i just loved the campus lifestyle
Reply 10
How am I a nutter?!
i go to the university but I can admit that its not the best university in the world. I think you're being a bit delusional...
Best of luck with what ever you choose. Listen to what your head (pros 'n' cons) has to say and what direction your 'heart' wants to go in.

If they disagree rip out your heart and your brain then let them have a fight...urm...no perhaps that wasn't really a very good idea.
Reply 12
hey man, i had a similar problem for undergradue studies, i hade to choose between warwick and cambridge. Warwick was the Warwick Writing Programme (English Lit. and Creative Writing) whislt Cambridge was English Lit. and Education studies (Joint Honours). I went with Warwick because I thought the course would be better for me (as someone looking to work in a creative business) and also since i I think I will be happier there, this is important for me, as I tend to get very affected by my environment. Also, like you, im not really into the formal stuff, I'm a bohemian rhapsody alright... :wink: I know it sounds corny, but look inside your heart man... Whats the first answer that pops into your head...? Just because Cambridge seems dull, doesnt mean it wont suit you... Be happy and be brave to try the road less travelled...
Choose where you think you'll be happier! Yeah the "name" of Cambridge is obviously above that of Warwick and if that's what matters to you then go for it. Just make sure it suits you! :smile: I applied to Oxford and when I got there for interviews I knew instantly it was not for me. I hated every second I spent there! Not saying that you won't like Cambridge, because everyone and every college at Oxbridge is different... but y'know, just go where you'll be happiest. For me, a campus environment with FRIENDLY people (unlike the idiots I met at Oxford) was the way to go :biggrin:
Reply 14
Personally i will go for Cambridge coz u are an international student n is already paying more in terms of school fee might as well get ur value for money and get the more famous name.Not to say that warwick is not good but certaintly Cambridge is more FAMOUS!However, if u really can't stand the lifestyle then go for warwick!It's very good too=)
Reply 15
In all fairness I choose Durham over Warwick and I really regret it,..
So Warwick all the way I reckon!
x
Reply 16
in my opinion, i would choose cambridge because it will give you an extra head start when you go job hunting what with its reputation and fame.
wait did you say you re going to do a postgrad course?
so how long's the course?1 year for masters isnt it.only 1 yr.
cambridge all the way!!!!!
don worry about whether you be fitting in or not
if you wanna have a lively life, you will make it happen no matter where you are.
you have made your mind up admitting cambridge's better than warwick as a whole,
i know you arent that confused.. just seeking some confirmations right?
:smile:
as an outsider, my impression to a cambridge graduate:whoohoo you went to cambridge?; to a warwick grad:very niceeeeeeeeeeee
Reply 18
Oh yeh thats so true... if its just one year then definately camb.

Just rememberd one of the sabbs is going camb next year to do postgrad econ! St Johns college as far as I can remember... tell him warwick says hi if u see him :p:
Reply 19
I agree with the fact that Cambridge is a much more respected university than Warwick for especially economics and i would choose it over any other.

HOWEVER and there is always a however, If you majstor do not like the feel of cambridge or the general characteristics of the people there, then you will find it hard to survive for 3 years, waste money and time.
WARWICK ECONOMICS COURSE IS ACCORDING TO THE TIMES, THE BEST ECONOMICS COURSE OUTSIDE AMERICA. UNIVERSITY IS ABOUT MORE THAN JUST EDUCATION (HOWEVER EDUCATION IS A MAJOR PART).

UNI IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE BEST TIME (OR ONE OF), AND BEING STUCK IN SUCH A PLACE FOR THREE YEARS WHERE YOU LOSE YOUR CHANCE OF HAVING A GOOD LIFE is not only waste of time and money but opportunity (opp cost. lol bs:biggrin:) I think you should if possible go and have a feel for both uni's. I went to the Open day for cambridge and will be going to warwick's. I liked cambridge and will hopefully like warwick. OXFORD however i hated. i dont know why. I got something out of the open day which was DO NOT APPLY TO OXFORD. Feeling is important.

Latest

Trending

Trending