Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    to be honest you will be lucky if you are taken out of the pool at all so be grateful for any place jeez!
    I know but I'd reject it if it was homerton or churchill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    to be honest you will be lucky if you are taken out of the pool at all so be grateful for any place jeez!

Yep tis true...isn't true that only 1/5 pooled applicants will be given an offer on a fairly average year?

ReputationRep:
    Adhsur, I think you need to look at 3 issues
    1) only 1 in 5 people are pooled out of the pool - it is not a certainty!!!
    2) if you really want to go to Cam you'll go to any college
    3) it is highly unlikely that the "traditional" colleges will take anyone out of the pool - as they fill their places so don't need pool people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    Yep tis true...isn't true that only 1/5 pooled applicants will be given an offer on a fairly average year?
    I understand that...

I just hope that if I am good enough for a certain college, that they see my application. I think that's only fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jess)
    Adhsur, I think you need to look at 3 issues
    1) only 1 in 5 people are pooled out of the pool - it is not a certainty!!!
    2) if you really want to go to Cam you'll go to any college
    3) it is highly unlikely that the "traditional" colleges will take anyone out of the pool - as they fill their places so don't need pool people
    Of course it's not a certainty - I'd be very lucky if they did choose me. For me, part of being at cambridge is being at a nice college. And it says on the letter than most colleges pick people out of pools, so I doubt it's impossible.

ReputationRep:
    YEAH - what's wrong with Churchill :eek:

Does it have a bad reputation? *perturbed*
    ... or did you mean delirious with happiness?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tifa)
    YEAH - what's wrong with Churchill :eek:

Does it have a bad reputation? *perturbed*
    ... or did you mean delirious with happiness?
    It just doesn't look nice...I know that sounds so silly of me to say so and it shouldn't be a big deal...but *sigh* I don't wanna philosophise in a block of concrete. lol.

Nevermind - I'm just overeacting people. Still a bit depressed really!

ReputationRep:
    Okay - you prob won't even get picked up my Churchill...

BUT - to make you feel a bit better maybe - the rooms have huge windows with big window seats on the same level as the ledge. Allowing a panoramic view of the huge expanse of grounds (the perks of being out of town)... and surely if you're philosophising in your College, chances are, you'd be on the inside looking out...

ReputationRep:
    In many ways.....this pool is worse....

I have my armbands on, shark repellent plastered over me and my snorkel is attached to my mouth.....but it's this waiting for the shark that's going to kill me.........the metaphor can be carried so far...so very far...

It mightn't even be Monday....nay it mightn't even be Tuesday....but my god, if I hear nothing by Wednesday...I'm assuming I'm a goner.

Can other people think of other uses of the word "pool" to show our limbo? (and pass the flippin time)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tifa)
    Okay - you prob won't even get picked up my Churchill...

BUT - to make you feel a bit better maybe - the rooms have huge windows with big window seats on the same level as the ledge. Allowing a panoramic view of the huge expanse of grounds (the perks of being out of town)... and surely if you're philosophising in your College, chances are, you'd be on the inside looking out...

Hehehe ok Sorry I didn't mean to be so arrogant! I'm just not thinking straight...it happens to me when I have my heart set on something. I'm sure I'd be incredibly privaleged to get an offer from anywhere now...all this faff about college probably will pay off with a rejection anyway hehehe.

ReputationRep:
    My friend got picked up by Churchill when she was pooled for Law from Selwyn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legalbeagle)

I have my armbands on, shark repellent plastered over me and my snorkel is attached to my mouth.....but it's this waiting for the shark that's going to kill me.........the metaphor can be carried so far...so very far...

It mightn't even be Monday....nay it mightn't even be Tuesday....but my god, if I hear nothing by Wednesday...I'm assuming I'm a goner.

Can other people think of other uses of the word "pool" to show our limbo? (and pass the flippin time)
    Finally someone knows how I feel!

Before at least we knew the exact status of our application and what is bgoing on and when we'll hear - it was all so organised. Now we're just flapping around in limbo waiting to be picked up by anyone who takes pity on us. They're letting us hang there for a while only to be told we got rejected. Again. lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Finally someone knows how I feel!

Before at least we knew the exact status of our application and what is bgoing on and when we'll hear - it was all so organised. Now we're just flapping around in limbo waiting to be picked up by anyone who takes pity on us. They're letting us hang there for a while only to be told we got rejected. Again. lol.
    Adhsur!

You're back!

Sorry, I'm not even in this thread, let alone this forum, just saw it'd said you'd just posted a message on the main page.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Adhsur!

You're back!

Sorry, I'm not even in this thread, let alone this forum, just saw it'd said you'd just posted a message on the main page.
    hehehe yes...but I'm cutting down as you can see no more adhsur in the limelight I hope...(except for this thread ooops)

Just the dark horse

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear lord no. Please no. Please please please no.
    Oh shut up you stuck up cow. Many people have chosen these as their first choice colleges, and many people would be happy to have had the chance to be as clever as you etc and apply.

ReputationRep:
    I love traditional.

Churchill is so not traidtional cambridge - no pretty courts, miles away, its just horrible.
    but surely arent u going for the teaching, not how "pretty" it is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legalbeagle)

for...gods....sake. If you dont hear by the 20th you can start doing all this...blinkin moaning! Some pooled people dont consider how lucky they are! Just think, if you were rejected, you wldnt have to wait? Would you shut up then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ensocopier)
    Oh shut up you stuck up cow. Many people have chosen these as their first choice colleges, and many people would be happy to have had the chance to be as clever as you etc and apply.
    thats a bit nasty, adhsur isnt a stuckup cow, she is fab.

she's just feeling very low at the moment, and its people like you who throw insults at her that make it worse.

as for the colleges - u do have a point. i agree with u on the concept of all colleges being superb, and to be put into any college is superb.

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of people in girl's colleges would answer to you if you went about criticising them - I felt the same way too for a while, but everyone I've spoken to (yes, hetero, normal girls, before the stereotypes come out) in girls' colleges have been fiercely defensive of them. I've never spoken to anyone yet who would change to a mixed college, given the choice. And if you want to go to Cambridge so much, shouldn't you be considering the possiblity of a bike ride every morning slightly fickle?

I know it's hard and disappointing not getting the college of your choice, but really, writing off all the colleges for reasons which you haven't even got grounding in - not having been to such colleges yet - seems to me like you're just setting yourself up for inevitable disappointment all over again.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry I really didn't mean to offend.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.