Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    I'd prefer to get rejected from a nice college with an interview, than accepted at a less nice one without.

I know, it sounds silly..but...*shrug*

I do understand the feeling, but remember that Cambridge is Cambridge... you can always make friends with people at old colleges and go there lots and you're still in the city which is, let's face it, just gorgeous. And at the new colleges I think the ethos is still similar... I'm pretty sure they still have formal halls and can you get more Oxbridge than that?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    I do understand the feeling, but remember that Cambridge is Cambridge... you can always make friends with people at old colleges and go there lots and you're still in the city which is, let's face it, just gorgeous. And at the new colleges I think the ethos is still similar... I'm pretty sure they still have formal halls and can you get more Oxbridge than that?!
    What if you end up at Girton or Fitzwilliam? I heard that both are pretty far away, and u need to be a pretty fit bike rider.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    What if you end up at Girton or Fitzwilliam? I heard that both are pretty far away, and u need to be a pretty fit bike rider.....
    I can't do that. I'm no bike rider. In fact I'm hardly independent...

Oh well, wait and see!

ReputationRep:
    I've been pooled as well.
    I know it says we have a one in five chance, but do you think that being a girl is an advantage and gives you a better chance? Thinking of the two all-girls colleges, I mean.

ReputationRep:
    I'd prefer to get rejected from a nice college with an interview, than accepted at a less nice one without.

I know, it sounds silly..but...*shrug*
    1. Being pooled means that you are in contention for a place, therefore if unsuccessful regard it as a near miss. You should consider reapplying or changing to Oxford. In Dec 2004 you will have your grades, be a year older and a stronger candidate. Your chances of getting in are higher.

2. If you get a place via the pool you will quickly grow to love your college - everyone (well almost!) does.

3. Remember the degree comes from Cambridge not Trinity or New Hall or Churchill.

ReputationRep:
    I can't do that. I'm no bike rider. In fact I'm hardly independent...

Oh well, wait and see!
    well i don't think u'll have much problem freewheeling it down the hill from Fitzwilliam in the morning down to your lectures getting back up might be a *slight* problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    Is it worth preparing yourself for a pool interview though? I'm of the opinion that you don't, but my mum keeps telling me I should get reading again......
    It depends how much you want to go. If you really want to go, then I'd imagine that preparing would be a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scanner)
    3. Remember the degree comes from Cambridge not Trinity or New Hall or Churchill.
    What's WRONG with Churchill *cries*

okay - Adhsur, you seem like a really really nice person... but the way you're worrying... it just doesn't communicate your personality as someone who's strong, capable and suited to a high-pressure life. If you can't keep a Pooled application in perspective, how could you possibly cope with the Cambridge academic workload, the need to be intellectually independant, the pressure and expectations of you in end of year exams... without bursting a blood vessel?

I feel the need to scream *PERSPECTIVE* - it'll keep you sane, I promise

seriously, what will be... *will be*... no matter how much you procrastinate over it for the next x number of hours. Please, try to relax, it's a new year, make a resolution to take things a bit easier...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tifa)
    What's WRONG with Churchill *cries*

okay - Adhsur, you seem like a really really nice person... but the way you're worrying... it just doesn't communicate your personality as someone who's strong, capable and suited to a high-pressure life. If you can't keep a Pooled application in perspective, how could you possibly cope with the Cambridge academic workload, the need to be intellectually independant, the pressure and expectations of you in end of year exams... without bursting a blood vessel?

I feel the need to scream *PERSPECTIVE* - it'll keep you sane, I promise

seriously, what will be... *will be*... no matter how much you procrastinate over it for the next x number of hours. Please, try to relax, it's a new year, make a resolution to take things a bit easier...
    Firstly, there's nowt wrong with Churchill (except their college scarf which is just wrong...) Adhsur, I know the pressure's on at the moment but I have to agree with Tifa. I was really impressed with the way you approached your application and I think you would feel better approaching the outcome with the same level of maturity.

It's genuinely true that almost everyone who gets pooled to a college ends up loving it and in many cases would defend it to the death! If you do receive an offer from a non-central or all female college I would think very carefully before turning it down.

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Peterhouse for NatSci and I've been pooled. The thing is, I applied for deferred entry. Is it normal to pool students who are taking gap years? They obviously have enough space if they wanted to take me, so if they think I'm not good enough why didn't they just reject me and let me get on with my life with a definite answer! Plus, I really doubt that a college is going to pick someone out of the pool for NEXT year when they don't know whether they'll get millions of good candidates then. Please tell me what you think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    Girton is a pretty long way away but is a gorgeous college in itself - its grounds are stunning and it has its own swimming pool. Fitz is really not all that far away, it's just that students are lazy! It's up the "hill" (aka nearly invisible slope) next to New Hall and requires a bike but it isn't that big a deal. I know that's easy for me to say when I live in the centre! - but I've heard it from people at the colleges as well! Even the guy I know at Girton says it's not that much of a problem. You just have to get used to jokes about 'welcome to Cambridge' when you come down to the centre, but people at every college are teased for something! I'm just trying to help Adshur see that it doesn't make that much of a difference really... If she gets an offer she should be really proud, wherever it is, because it doesn't matter what college you're at - you'll still be lectured and supervised by world experts, you'll still be living in (or very near!!) one of the most beautiful towns in the country, you'll still have access to masses of opportunities - in short you'll still be at the best university at the world! Adshur, if you get an offer at any college you will be the object of envy of thousands of people. Really. Especially the ones who go to Oxford.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Girton is a pretty long way away but is a gorgeous college in itself - its grounds are stunning and it has its own swimming pool. Fitz is really not all that far away, it's just that students are lazy! It's up the "hill" (aka nearly invisible slope) next to New Hall and requires a bike but it isn't that big a deal. I know that's easy for me to say when I live in the centre! - but I've heard it from people at the colleges as well! Even the guy I know at Girton says it's not that much of a problem. You just have to get used to jokes about 'welcome to Cambridge' when you come down to the centre, but people at every college are teased for something! I'm just trying to help Adshur see that it doesn't make that much of a difference really... If she gets an offer she should be really proud, wherever it is, because it doesn't matter what college you're at - you'll still be lectured and supervised by world experts, you'll still be living in (or very near!!) one of the most beautiful towns in the country, you'll still have access to masses of opportunities - in short you'll still be at the best university at the world! Adshur, if you get an offer at any college you will be the object of envy of thousands of people. Really. Especially the ones who go to Oxford.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)
    LOL!

Hear, hear; well said.

ReputationRep:
    Just got a phonecall from Fitzwilliam college offering me a place, I was pooled for Medicine! I'm so happy, and glad I don't have to go there again for another interview!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leah_85)
    Just got a phonecall from Fitzwilliam college offering me a place, I was pooled for Medicine! I'm so happy, and glad I don't have to go there again for another interview!
    wow! well done...u must have really been good to stand owt from the rest of medics!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Gosh so maybe a phonecall can come so early...

Anyway to all you people (eg Matnatsci) I apologise for sounding so silly. I do need to calm down and put things in perspective and I thank you for all your positive encouragement!

ReputationRep:
    Gosh so maybe a phonecall can come so early...

Anyway to all you people (eg Matnatsci) I apologise for sounding so silly. I do need to calm down and put things in perspective and I thank you for all your positive encouragement!

It's OK! I understand and it's easy for me to say this stuff, I know. I know you tend to set your heart on a college when you apply there so it's hard to think that you might not get there... I really do wish you luck!

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick question...

Re: Pooled applicants do the colleges looking at you just see the basic information ie. the UCAS forms and references?

Or do they see the special form I had to fill in and send to my first choice (Christ's) - the one with my module results. Do they see the essays I sent in? Do they see notes the interviewers took during the interviews?

If anyone knows the answers to any of these I would be really grateful.

Also what are you guys all seeing as the cut off date. The date by which if you haven't heard you will kind of give up??? I am grateful that I was pooled but I hate all this stress of waiting again. It's worse this time round!

ps. did anyone get pooled or accepted by Christ's for English?

ReputationRep:
    I think all the info on you is made available, extra forms and interview notes included. Sometimes they can make decisions without a second interview due to all of this.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.