The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Blu3j4yw4y
Not really, before we had the secret ballot there was a huge amount of corruption in politics, people could literally buy votes and threaten those who didn't vote where they wanted them to. If we gave up our right to the secret ballot then its not far-fetched to imagine that could start up again. :dontknow:

Its very important that we have the right to keep our vote private. Unless you're suggesting that people lie when asked, in which case what's the point of asking?

People can vote however they want.

I'd ask because I find it interesting what people think are good ideas and it gives an interesting insight into their personality.

If someone lies that fine, if you don't want to look like a BNP supporter I respect that.

The secret ballot is important because it allows us to vote pressure free. However discussing how you plan to vote with someone doesn't undermine this.
Reply 21
Blu3j4yw4y
But it isn't always a casual conversation :dontknow: In fact when it comes to politics its quite rare to see a discussion without emotions flaring.

I agree that if you ask someone off-hand it's probably wrong to call it 'rude,' what I'm more saying is that there are very good reasons for keeping votes private and we shouldn't be pressuring those who wish to do so into sharing.

Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah, if someone is asking about someone else's views in order to shout them down and get emotional, that's not a healthy approach to politics either. If only most people didn't support political parties as if they were football clubs...
Reply 22
I will tell people once I've decided who I'm voting for :teehee:

The teachers at my college aren't allowed to tell us who they're voting for. I don't often come across people apart from them who won't say.
Reply 23
I wouldn't tell to be honest but I wouldn't be offended. I have no idea who my parents vote for. I wouldn't tell because you would get judged on it. If I said to some of my friends that I was voting Tory (I'm not - I can't even vote, I'm 16) they would probably look down on me and tell me I'm stupid or something (which I don't think is fair. I hate it when people scoff at other people's opinions). So yeah I wouldn't tell.
It depends who's asking me... sometimes I say that it's my business simply because (like a few others have mentioned) the person asking me wants a huge debate I can't be bothered with. I'm voting Green Party and I can't count how many students get on their newly found high horse and start demanding reasons for why I'm not voting Lib Dem etc :P
There are a lot of judgements made about people based on who they vote for. Politics can be very divisive and many people don't want to open themselves up to the judgements of their peers.
Reply 26
I don't bloody know. But maybe people are ashamed of being Tory loooooool
I can see why, in some cases, you wouldn't want to tell people who you don't know very well about your vote because a) its a secret ballot anyway and b) you'll not sure how they'll react if you don't have the same views.

If one of my close friends asked me, however, this wouldn't be a problem for me. Fact is, we'd probably have had some form of discussion about it before anyway, and even if not, if you've professed a hatred for racists and racism, they're not likely to expect you to vote for the BNP. If my friends don't know who I'm voting for, I think I've given them enough clues in the years I've known them to help them make a pretty good guess.

IMO, anyway.
BrightGirl
Lol how old are you?

Unlike some people, I'm not embarassed to say my age.
BrightGirl
It's not to do with being ashamed, but personally I don't reply to those sorts of questions because I've noticed once some people find out who you're voting for, and they happen to have an opposing view, they're quite likely to start up banal debates whenever they can/try to change your opinion/treat you differently.

It's private so just respect someone's view if they don't want to tell you.

What's wrong with someone debating against another person's views?

If you can't defend the party you're voting for, why on earth are you supporting them?

I think to say "it's private" is just a cop-out. It's just a petty excuse. It's just political correctness.
im so academic
What's wrong with someone debating against another person's views?

If you can't defend the party you're voting for, why on earth are you supporting them?

I think to say "it's private" is just a cop-out. It's just a petty excuse. It's just political correctness.

Because often I don't want a ******* debate when I've not initiated one. If I'm voting for a party, I've considered the options and I know the policies of the other ones, I don't need to be told i'm a snobby Tory or a stupid Lib Dem. People get incredibly worked up about politics.
It hasn't got anything to do with not being able to defend your party, it's to do with not wanting to have a pointless discussion or have people's opinion of you change.
I'll just ignore the political correctness bit, lol. It's private for all the reasons already mentioned in this thread.

im so academic

Unlike some people, I'm not embarassed to say my age.

That doesn't even make sense.
Reply 31
It isn't a matter of being
Some people want to keep private. So respect that. Don't get mad when people refuse to share personal information with you because you have no right to it - it's their choice whether they share it with you or not.
Its not offensive its just supposed to be a secret but TRUMP n2020

Latest

Trending

Trending