Turn on thread page Beta

How can I extract a picture from a DVD movie? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I need some help here:

I am currently working on a school project, where I have to write about a director.

I have got some of his movies on DVD.

I would like to use pictures from the movie in my coursework. However, I have not managed yet to save a frame from the movie in order to use it lateron in my text.

Has anyone got an idea? Thanks in advance for any help.

BTW, it would be even better if someone could help in using clips from the movie within a word document. How do I extract the clips from the movie?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zizero)
    I need some help here:

I am currently working on a school project, where I have to write about a director.

I have got some of his movies on DVD.

I would like to use pictures from the movie in my coursework. However, I have not managed yet to save a frame from the movie in order to use it lateron in my text.

Has anyone got an idea? Thanks in advance for any help.

BTW, it would be even better if someone could help in using clips from the movie within a word document. How do I extract the clips from the movie?

Thanks.
    1) Try the net first

2) The images/clips will take a lot of room in the document...

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if you are talking about capturing the screen, well if you are press 'Print Screen' which is usually next to scroll lock (top right of keyboard) and press paste in word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    I don't know if you are talking about capturing the screen, well if you are press 'Print Screen' which is usually next to scroll lock (top right of keyboard) and press paste in word.
    Yeah. Use Word's picture toolbar or an image editing package to crop it.

Or look on the net on the movie's website or somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Using print screen never works for me, cause I always get a load of black where the picture should be. Something to do with software acceleration or something.

If you have a DVD program like power DVD on your computer, I use that to make screencaps. I can't remember exactly how, but it's in the help files somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Can't really add much more help to what is already given. Print screen is what you should use ideally, however if it isn't working then there are programs from download.com which do the same sort of thing.

Adam

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone... It seems to be working more or less.

ReputationRep:
    Print screen wont work - DVDs use some kind of special technique (someone remind me what the name is) which pipes the film directly to the graphics card, bypassing printscreen and just leaving a black box. However most DVD players have some kind of screen shot capability - powerdvd does for example its the button which looks like a camera.

If you want video shots you will need to rip the dvd (seach on google for instructions) and maybe compress it to get some clips - there are lots of tutorials out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    Print screen wont work - DVDs use some kind of special technique (someone remind me what the name is) which pipes the film directly to the graphics card, bypassing printscreen and just leaving a black box. However most DVD players have some kind of screen shot capability - powerdvd does for example its the button which looks like a camera.

If you want video shots you will need to rip the dvd (seach on google for instructions) and maybe compress it to get some clips - there are lots of tutorials out there.
    it's called directDraw, part of DirectX.

If you use PowerDVD, there is a button called "capture image" which stores the image on your hardddrive or in the clipboard, depending on which one you choose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    Using print screen never works for me, cause I always get a load of black where the picture should be. Something to do with software acceleration or something.
    I had that problem for a long time. -Well, not with DVDs so I don't know if my solution with help you but give it a try.

This works for me using Media Player but I don't know if it'll work with other software etc.

Pause the clip at the moment you want to be able to copy, then press 'Alt' and 'Printscreen' together. Then paste it into paint or whatever to clip it and then onto word. I have to press really hard on my Alt button for it to work.

Let me know if it's successful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    I had that problem for a long time. -Well, not with DVDs so I don't know if my solution with help you but give it a try.

This works for me using Media Player but I don't know if it'll work with other software etc.

Pause the clip at the moment you want to be able to copy. And then press 'Alt' and 'Printscreen' together. Then paste it into paint or whatever to clip it and then onto word. I have to press really hard on my Alt button for it to work.

Let me know if it's successful.
    i dont think that will work (and i dont think the pressure with which you press the alt key makes a difference), because most video software now utilises DirectX's DirectDraw facility which puts the image straight onto the graphics card bypassing the operating system. so you can't just printscreen it.

ReputationRep:
    In order to be able to capture pictures from any movie played with Windows Media Player (I used v9), you have to do the following:

goto: Tools->Options->Performance->Advanced and then remove tick next to the "use overlays" and press "OK"

and everything will (shall) hopefylly run just press "Print Screen" button, open "paintbrush" or whatever graphics program you have and press "CTRL+V" (paste) and then you can do whatever you want with the picture you captured.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    i dont think the pressure with which you press the alt key makes a difference
    Yes I know, twas an unecessary sidenote.
    (Original post by elpaw)
    i dont think that will work (and i dont think the pressure with which you press the alt key makes a difference), because most video software now utilises DirectX's DirectDraw facility which puts the image straight onto the graphics card bypassing the operating system. so you can't just printscreen it.
    Well, you're probably right. It works for me though and I thought it might be worth a try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    it's called directDraw, part of DirectX.

If you use PowerDVD, there is a button called "capture image" which stores the image on your hardddrive or in the clipboard, depending on which one you choose.
    For some reason the "Capture Image" button does not work. You can't click on it. Is that due to another security measure on the DVD?

ReputationRep:
    This is how I did it on powerDVD:

Went to configuration --> advanced, then save screen captures to My Documents.

Then i just press 'c' whenever i want to capture a frame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    This is how I did it on powerDVD:

Went to configuration --> advanced, then save screen captures to My Documents.

Then i just press 'c' whenever i want to capture a frame.
    That does not work if "capture" does not work. For some reason my DVD seems to have locking mechanism: As soon as I play the music, the "capture" button turns grey and I can't click it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zizero)
    That does not work if "capture" does not work. For some reason my DVD seems to have locking mechanism: As soon as I play the music, the "capture" button turns grey and I can't click it!
    have you tried any of the other programs mentioned? also, have you tried using mediaplayer and turning off overlay, then printscreening?

ReputationRep:
    I got it!

In PowerDVD, for the "Capture" button to work, the "Hardware Acceleration" Option has to be disabled.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. It is quite amazing what you people know of the techy stuff these days, and even more amazing that you're all so helpful. Top stuff

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.