Sheffield vs. Manchester Watch

Mishu91
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hello,

I was accepted at both Sheffield and Manchester university, at the Software Engineering profile. This week I have to decide which of them I choose. Which of them has greater oportunities, more intersting programmes, and others? Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you,
Andrei Misarca
DoveTent
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Doubt you'll get an unbiased opinion in the University of Sheffield forum, perhaps this should be in general university or in your course specific sub forum?

Sheffield is awesome though :yep:

No idea on your course but in terms of the cities Sheffield is big enough to have all the facilities you need plus a wide range of nightlife yet not so big that it feels overwhelming and it still feels homey.

Manchester is bigger has more facilities, more students, more nightlife it's great too but for me it's a little too big harder to get around and doesn't feel as safe of comfortable.
emilyjane_09
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Sheffield as a university, but definitely Manchester as a place to live.
Conorrr
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Mishu91)
Hello,

I was accepted at both Sheffield and Manchester university, at the Software Engineering profile. This week I have to decide which of them I choose. Which of them has greater oportunities, more intersting programmes, and others? Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you,
Andrei Misarca
If you are looking at Software Engineering and if you are looking at going into software engineering then have a look at the epiGenesis company run by Sheffield.

Statistically speaking students are happier at Sheffield doing CS and more empoloyable.
gravel7road
Report 8 years ago
mishule:=)) uite de cine dau pe forum-uri:=))
jelly
tomski_92
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I had to make the same choice as you! I ended up putting Manchester as my firm and Sheffield as my insurance choice (the offers I got played a large role in this AAB from Manchester and BBB for Sheffield). I absolutely loved Sheffield, it had such a great feel and the Student's Union really seemed central to student life there although not being a student there I can't tell you if in actuality. Sheffield and Manchester have very different vibes and it really depends on what you're looking for. Both have very good graduate prospects. I don't know for your course but according to this http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GMReport2010.pdf Manchester along with London and Warwick are the 3 universities that top graduate employers targetted 2009-10. I would suggest however really looking into the course content and deciding which you like the best and deciding whether you think you'll be happy living in Manchester or Sheffield.
mollymustard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by tomski_92)
I had to make the same choice as you! I ended up putting Manchester as my firm and Sheffield as my insurance choice (the offers I got played a large role in this AAB from Manchester and BBB for Sheffield). I absolutely loved Sheffield, it had such a great feel and the Student's Union really seemed central to student life there although not being a student there I can't tell you if in actuality. Sheffield and Manchester have very different vibes and it really depends on what you're looking for. Both have very good graduate prospects. I don't know for your course but according to this http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GMReport2010.pdf Manchester along with London and Warwick are the 3 universities that top graduate employers targetted 2009-10. I would suggest however really looking into the course content and deciding which you like the best and deciding whether you think you'll be happy living in Manchester or Sheffield.
This is really good advice. There is no right or wrong answer. I chose Sheffield because I knew it ticked all those boxes for me. Tlhat doesnt mean you might not find somewhere else perfect - each to their own. Thats why I hate people who preach about their uni being the one to go to, it depends on the person.
Have a look and go with gut instinct, its usually right! That said, I think it would be hard to be dissapointed with either Manchester or Sheffield, they each have fantastic opportunities
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Jun '19
    Sat, 6 Jul '19
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (508)
37.71%
No - but I will (103)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (92)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (644)
47.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise