Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    is it true that most ppl choose the management stream (4M) rather than the technical stream (4T) ?? and if so, is that due to allegedly better job prospects?
    ANY comment appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    An engineering is usually working under someone who makes the decisions on what you get to work on, in other words, you're being controlled. If you take management, you get to control others as well as work on what you think is best.

ReputationRep:
    yes but i doubt that most ppl in the 4M stream become managers straight away.. don't they start as accountants and the like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impetus)
    yes but i doubt that most ppl in the 4M stream become managers straight away.. don't they start as accountants and the like?
    Yeah, probably. It is pretty tight to get involved into this whole world of buisness, so guess only people with connections will have an easy start. The others will have to work their way through it.

BTW guyz, do you know if we get anything from the dept? Any letter or sth?

ReputationRep:
    I got an email from them, but most of its content was redundant (I'd had it already from the university). Do you want a copy of it?

ReputationRep:
    yeah, paste it

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget that about half of the EEE graduates go and work "in the city", ie they do stuff that's got nothing to do with their degree. It all depends on wether you want to be one of them or not. Higher salaries are pretty much guaranteed.

EDIT (I didn't bother reading the first page before replying):

You can go and have a look at the list of students in the EE department. You'll find their names and the exact course they've chosen.

As for EEE vs Management, it's the same thing during the first 2 years. After that you'll get to choose your own courses for the 3rd and 4th years. If you take the technical stream, you'll need to take something like 6 technical courses and 1 non-technical course during those years. If you take the management stream, it's going to be fifty-fifty if I remember correctly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pole_from_swede)
    Yeah, probably. It is pretty tight to get involved into this whole world of buisness, so guess only people with connections will have an easy start. The others will have to work their way through it.

BTW guyz, do you know if we get anything from the dept? Any letter or sth?
    u should get a welcome pack, with lots of info. U should get a maths CD also, although u dont really need unless u really want to get a headstart.

ReputationRep:
    E-mail from Dept. as requested by pole_from_swede:

We am delighted that you will be joining our course this autumn, subject to the completion of our Registry formalities, and we are very pleased to be able to welcome you to the Department. I

The College Registry sends out general information about the arrangements for the start of term to you. You may also be interested to know the specific arrangements for the department.

Monday, 3 October
    9:15 Undergraduate welcome by Rector, Engineering Faculty Principal and Student Union in the Great Hall

10:30 Departmental welcome meeting, Room 408 EEE

12:00-13:00 Meet personal tutor

14:00-15:30 Register as a student, Sherfield Dining Hall

14:00-17:00 Drop in computer session: activate your email account and learn about our computers

Tuesday 4 October
    Freshers Fair

Wednesday 5 October to Friday 7 October
    Egg race (design and make project)
    Diagnositic maths test
    Meet your EE / ISE buddy
    Introductory lab session
    End of first week party

Monday 10 October
    Teaching starts.

We have sent you some further information by post, and you should receive it soon.

The College guarantees a place in one of its Halls of Residence for all first year undergraduate students who require accommodation. However, the number of Hall placesare limited and to make sure that as many students as possible are allocated their rooms of choice, I would be grateful ifyou could inform the Department's Undergraduate Office <email: [email protected]> as soon as possible that you intend to take up your place at Imperial College. Equally if you do not intend to come to the College or you no longer want a room in College accommodation could you please inform the Department's Undergraduate Office <email: [email protected]> as soon as possible so that the place can be offered to another student.

I hope you will find your time at Imperial College interesting and rewarding and I look forward to meeting you when you arrive.

ReputationRep:
    btw i just noticed in the prospectus that we were supposed to get a list of sponsors with the offer letter... anyone got it?

ReputationRep:
    I just love the first sentence of the letter "We am delighted that you will be joining our course this autumn" Got the same e-mail.
    Yeah, I recall it was sth about this list of sponsors in the prospectus. However noone (?) of us got anything from the dept yet, only from the admission office, so guess we will have to wait for the official letter from the EEE dept.Mayby there it will be.....

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I'm also doing EEE. I've been a member for quite some time but I don't post much.

I'm Hossein, Originally Iranian and I'm very much looking forward to starting the course.
    You can find a photo of me in the picture thread

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...=113251&page=7

ReputationRep:
    Hey Lazio, a few words of advice:

- Be friends with May, the lab assistant. She'll help you loads.
    - Ditto for Dr. Haigh, the circuits professor. Nobody will pay attention at his class but show that you're interested. He'll help you out whenever you need something.
    - If you get a ****** as your lab partner, try and get somebody decent.
    - Don't be scared if you don't understand anything during your first few lab sessions. The assistants will try to impress you. Everything falls into place after some time.

See you in the corridors

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impetus)
    btw i just noticed in the prospectus that we were supposed to get a list of sponsors with the offer letter... anyone got it?
    You have to ask the department for it. They sent a comprehensive list after I asked them by email.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valerio)
    You have to ask the department for it. They sent a comprehensive list after I asked them by email.
    did it help you get any scholarship? or what did it say?

ReputationRep:
    I got the letter with the Maths CD today. However the software is either badly designed or there's something wrong with my computer, because I can't read most of the exponents (they're written too small). I tried using Windows' magnifying glass feature, but that didn't help.

Here's a screenshot of the blown up version:

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/9928/exp9wh.gif

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Telecaster)
    Hey Lazio, a few words of advice:

- Be friends with May, the lab assistant. She'll help you loads.
    - Ditto for Dr. Haigh, the circuits professor. Nobody will pay attention at his class but show that you're interested. He'll help you out whenever you need something.
    - If you get a ****** as your lab partner, try and get somebody decent.
    - Don't be scared if you don't understand anything during your first few lab sessions. The assistants will try to impress you. Everything falls into place after some time.

See you in the corridors
    Hey thanks for the tips. I'll keep them in mind

ReputationRep:
    that bloody cd basicaly crashed my computer earlier!

ReputationRep:
    is there anyone here who could actually tell us, freshers, something about the sole course?
    My questions are:
    -professors- cool, funny, accessible or dull, boring and stupid?
    -workload-???
    -lectures- is it worth attending them? are they interesting
    -projects- do you get any assignments to do in group? what's a project at the end of the first year? does the dept compete in some international competitions as for intance world championship in robot-footbal (playing football with robots designed by students)?
    -tutors- what about them? nice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pole_from_swede)
    is there anyone here who could actually tell us, freshers, something about the sole course?
    My questions are:
    -professors- cool, funny, accessible or dull, boring and stupid?
    -workload-???
    -lectures- is it worth attending them? are they interesting
    -projects- do you get any assignments to do in group? what's a project at the end of the first year? does the dept compete in some international competitions as for intance world championship in robot-footbal (playing football with robots designed by students)?
    -tutors- what about them? nice?
    Ditto

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.