Driving test at 8.10 AM?!

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Chimaira
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Basically I booked my test for Monday 19th of April at 14.32 PM but because of 'unforeseen circumstances' it was moved to Tuesday 11th of May at 8.10 AM.
Everyone's been telling me this is a really awful time to have a test and it'll be really hard to pass because of rush hour :/ Anyone else taken their test at a time like this, did you pass? Thanks!
squeak
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If your driving is up to scratch you'll pass.

You'll probably have to be more patient, and more aware if there are more cars on the road, but otherwise it's just normal driving, and the examiner will take you to quieter roads to manoeuvre anyway.
iainthegreat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Chimaira)
Basically I booked my test for Monday 19th of April at 14.32 PM but because of 'unforeseen circumstances' it was moved to Tuesday 11th of May at 8.10 AM.
Everyone's been telling me this is a really awful time to have a test and it'll be really hard to pass because of rush hour :/ Anyone else taken their test at a time like this, did you pass? Thanks!

Quite the opposite, it's the best time to have it!

Due to rush hour there are only certain places your examiner can take you, i.e. avoiding town and busy roads. Your instructor may be able to give you hints as to the route you'll take. The more time stuck in traffic the better, you can't really fail when you're not moving!
Plus your test might be shorter because the examiner will make sure you're back in time and not stuck in traffic. This was the case for my test anyway. Just don't get ratted the night before!

Good luck!
Smiz
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Maybe you'll spend more time in traffic than actual "driving" stuff? Could be a good thing! My sister took hers at 8:45am and spent a lot of time doing not very much except talking to the examiner :/
Shawn the Sheep
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did my test at a similar time and it was fine. The examiner seemed to avoid schools/high volume traffic areas at the start. It was helpful as I had very little time to get nervous/anxious about the test hence I think I was less stressed than if I had had a test in the afternoon.

Best of Luck
A Cat
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I had mine roundabout this time. The guy took me on a very quiet route so it was fine. Just pay attention to road signs, mirrors, your speed, check mirror before you signal, move, brake etc.

btw I passed with 3 minors first time, my test was at 8.20 or something. Most of my year who had their test in the morning passed first time.
Chimaira
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Thanks guys! The test is in Aylesbury anyway, which is a large town but no-where on the scale of a city so yeah, calm roads shouldn't be hard to find

But yeah, feeling a lot better about it now
Josieee
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It is the best time to have your test, as the examiner will avoid busy areas, I had mine at 11 and failed then at 8.20 or something and passed, and I felt it was a better time to have the test. Good luck for the 11th May
Deutsch_Beth
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My friends that had their tests at this time said in a way it's a bit of an advantage as you essentially don't get very far and up to a particularly high speed.

Few things to remember when driving at a really congested time tho

> Don't stop too close to cars infront in a traffic jam, you can be failed for being too close. Make sure you can see TT (Tarmac and Tyres) when you stop.
> If you realise you're in the wrong lane, dont panic, just slow down to a gradual stop, indicate left or right and wait until you're sure a car is letting you before moving over.
> In congestion its only polite to let people out from side roads and stuff occasionally. You don't have to, but its a treat-others-like-you-would-like-to-be-treated situation. When you do, don't wave them out, you'll fail then.
StartSomething
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I remember having my test around 2ish, and there was still quite a bit of traffic, and I was dreading that but it wasn't so bad. Just go for it, and get some practice at driving in traffic before your test. Good luck
*Sparkle*
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just make sure when you're in traffic you have your handbreak up and you're not just using your clutch, no matter how amazing your clutch control is.
barbie*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The driving test I passed was at school chucking out time so we had to go to a really quiet part of town to do everything My friends was at rush hour and she spent the whole time in traffic, she passed.
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Asking for other people's experiences is pretty irrelevant when you look at cold hard evidence - the pass rate is lower during rush hour than it is during quieter times of the day. In fact many driving instructors will encourage you to cancel tests during rush hour in favour of quieter times.

Think of it this way, outside of rush hour everywhere is going to be quieter. You can say what you like about examiners taking you to quieter areas in the rush hour but you are invariably going to encounter more traffic which is going to increase your risk of error (ie; it's more difficult to get out of a busy junction, find a safe place to pull over, etc).

(Original post by squeak)
If your driving is up to scratch you'll pass.
If only it were that simple - it depends so much on who you are (ie; gender, appearance, etc), what examiner you get, what route you do, what time of day it is, how nervous you are, etc.
HumorousGent.
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i hate all this angst about test times. if you aren't ready, don't ****ing take the test. the time of day should have little bearing on your ability to pass.
ZJ4GK
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My test was at this time, and I passed with 3 minors (first try). It was also the first test of 2010 for my test centre as there was all that snow and there was still some left around so the conditions were pretty poor adding to rush hour madness etc.
However the majority of the test took place took place outside of the town centre, so it wasn't too bad really, just don't let it bother you and you'll be alright.
squeak
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
If only it were that simple - it depends so much on who you are (ie; gender, appearance, etc), what examiner you get, what route you do, what time of day it is, how nervous you are, etc.
Well...no. If your driving is really good, regardless of your gender, examiner, route, or nerves, you'll pass. What they going to major you on, your hair, and sweaty palms?
Age_of_Innocence
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by iainthegreat)
Quite the opposite, it's the best time to have it!

Due to rush hour there are only certain places your examiner can take you, i.e. avoiding town and busy roads. Your instructor may be able to give you hints as to the route you'll take. The more time stuck in traffic the better, you can't really fail when you're not moving!
Plus your test might be shorter because the examiner will make sure you're back in time and not stuck in traffic. This was the case for my test anyway. Just don't get ratted the night before!

Good luck!

Yeah, exactly. I was told to book my test for a similar rush hour time.
stinky--pete
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you'll be able to go less places and more likely to crawl in traffic!! just keep your cool!! you also might be taken towards schools but the same applies
vertigo.0012
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I had my test at a similar time, and despite what I thought it'd be like, the roads were empty! Seriously, it was one of the most relaxed drives ever (apart from it being the test, obviously), even the examiner commented on how few cars were about.
Inspirati0n
Report 10 years ago
If you can drive properly and deserve to pass, it doesn't matter when you take the test. After all, when you do pass your test and are driving on your own, you won't tell yourself to not drive at certain times because it's rush hour.

It will never be emptyish on the roads (at least where I live). Even in the middle of the day it would have been busy since people are out getting lunch and mums are rushing around before they pick up nursery kids.

Chill and you'll be fine.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (64)
27.83%
Less motivated (166)
72.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise