Watch
This discussion is closed.
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by squeak)
Well...no. If your driving is really good, regardless of your gender, examiner, route, or nerves, you'll pass. What they going to major you on, your hair, and sweaty palms?
The problem is that you're assuming that there is no prejudice, all of the routes are exactly the same, etc - that isn't the case. Like I said there are a hell of a lot of tricks you can do that improve your probability of passing - like specifying tests outside of rush hour, going to test centres with higher pass rates, going to test centres that don't do bay parking, etc.

It shouldn't be that way but it is and the results speak for themselves.
M1F2R3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I had my test very early, I was asked to turn right [heading towards town - Cardiff which is obvo jam packed in mornings], as the examiner realised how bad the traffic was he asked me to turn back & head away from town.... i got the easiest [my favourite] route !
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That is one HELL of a bad time! u will be in one tight rush hour and really easy to fail! i passed at 10.20am
L'Amour Toujours
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by iainthegreat)
Quite the opposite, it's the best time to have it!

Due to rush hour there are only certain places your examiner can take you, i.e. avoiding town and busy roads. Your instructor may be able to give you hints as to the route you'll take. The more time stuck in traffic the better, you can't really fail when you're not moving!
Plus your test might be shorter because the examiner will make sure you're back in time and not stuck in traffic. This was the case for my test anyway. Just don't get ratted the night before!

Good luck!
Agreed!

When I took my test last August I got caught up in the lunchtime rush and had to avoid travelling to various destinations because of it. I ended up stuck in a traffic jam for just over ten minutes too, so ended up going back to the test centre soon afterwards. I passed as well, so I'm thankful for the time I took my test, as I got a fairly easy route in the end!
squeak
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
The problem is that you're assuming that there is no prejudice, all of the routes are exactly the same, etc - that isn't the case. Like I said there are a hell of a lot of tricks you can do that improve your probability of passing - like specifying tests outside of rush hour, going to test centres with higher pass rates, going to test centres that don't do bay parking, etc.

It shouldn't be that way but it is and the results speak for themselves.
Well I suppose that some examiners may be more lenient, but if your driving is good then you'll pass, however strict the examiner is, they can't make up mistakes. I get what your saying, improving your probability will help, but the amount of cars shouldn't affect your driving skills if you are good driver, having to avoid bay parking -well that's stupid, bay parking is freaking easy and if you can't park then you're not a good driver. Hence my point - if you're a good driver then it doesn't matter what factors contribute.

Though saying that, if you got an examiner who was crazy racist or something they could probably twist something round to be a mistake, but that's like an extreme case.
bubblegum10
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
heyy!!

i have my driving test on thursday at 2pm!! sooo nervous just thinking about it!! does anybody think 2pm is a really bad time to take it???
Chimaira
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by HumorousGent.)
i hate all this angst about test times. if you aren't ready, don't ****ing take the test. the time of day should have little bearing on your ability to pass.
i am ready you ******* moron, i was just asking about the test time. shut your ******* piehole you little ****.
Chimaira
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by bubblegum10)
heyy!!

i have my driving test on thursday at 2pm!! sooo nervous just thinking about it!! does anybody think 2pm is a really bad time to take it???
no, that's one of the best times!
HumorousGent.
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Chimaira)
i am ready you ******* moron, i was just asking about the test time. shut your ******* piehole you little ****.
ok babes
ch0c0h01ic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well I suppose that some examiners may be more lenient, but if your driving is good then you'll pass,
There is a wide range. I've seen people failed for clipping a curb while coming out of a very tight junction while others have been passed despite reversing into tree.

however strict the examiner is, they can't make up mistakes.
The vast majority of the time it is just the examiner and the test subject in the car. Should you contest any decision it's the word of a learner driver against that of an instructor, there's no other witness testimony, no video evidence, etc.

I get what your saying, improving your probability will help, but the amount of cars shouldn't affect your driving skills if you are good driver...

Hence my point - if you're a good driver then it doesn't matter what factors contribute.
Everyone, no matter how 'good', makes mistakes. Throwing more cars and more drivers into the equation makes it more unpredictable and it increases the likelihood of you making an error.

having to avoid bay parking -well that's stupid, bay parking is freaking easy and if you can't park then you're not a good driver.
It may be for us but a lot of people can't do it and yes, some people do go to test centres which specifically don't have bay parking as part of the test.

Though saying that, if you got an examiner who was crazy racist or something they could probably twist something round to be a mistake, but that's like an extreme case.
There is pressure on examiners to fail more young males given that they tend to have more costly accidents.

Do you really think that it's a coincidence that you're more likely to pass at certain test centres, outside of rush hour and if you're female?
SillyRodent
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I passed first time at 8.50 I recall. We went on about two roundabouts in the town and the rest was quieter areas outside of the town.
squeak
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There is a wide range. I've seen people failed for clipping a curb while coming out of a very tight junction while others have been passed despite reversing into tree.
But these are both signs of being a bad driver, I'm saying if you're good then there won't be mistakes to mark down.

The vast majority of the time it is just the examiner and the test subject in the car. Should you contest any decision it's the word of a learner driver against that of an instructor, there's no other witness testimony, no video evidence, etc.
I was making the point that examiners wouldn't just make up mistakes, if they do -yeah you're ******, but I doubt they'd have such a personal vendetta against you.

Everyone, no matter how 'good', makes mistakes. Throwing more cars and more drivers into the equation makes it more unpredictable and it increases the likelihood of you making an error.
Increases the likelihood, but you should be adjusting your driving for the situation.

There is pressure on examiners to fail more young males given that they tend to have more costly accidents.

Do you really think that it's a coincidence that you're more likely to pass at certain test centres, outside of rush hour and if you're female?
They're not given quotas to fail guys though, you can't fail someone for not doing anything worthy of a major. If men have more accidents then they're more likely to be worse drivers and not pass. Certain test centres might have quieter and have less difficult routes, and they might have more lenient examiners BUT if your driving is of a high quality you should pass wherever you are.
Josh-H
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Chimaira)
Basically I booked my test for Monday 19th of April at 14.32 PM but because of 'unforeseen circumstances' it was moved to Tuesday 11th of May at 8.10 AM.
Everyone's been telling me this is a really awful time to have a test and it'll be really hard to pass because of rush hour :/ Anyone else taken their test at a time like this, did you pass? Thanks!
Ah well I failed twice at 8:10am tests then passed first time when I had a 10:14am test.

First time wasn't due to the traffic though, second test was at a junction and it was obviously more awkward due to the traffic.

If you don't rush anything and don't get bullied by other drivers then you'll still do fine.
ch0c0h01ic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
But these are both signs of being a bad driver, I'm saying if you're good then there won't be mistakes to mark down.
Everyone must be a bad driver then.

Increases the likelihood, but you should be adjusting your driving for the situation.
You can adjust your driving all you like - mistakes and unforseen circumstances happen.

You can be the best artist in the world but it's much easier to draw a straight line than try and sketch a copy of the Mona Lisa without making a single mistake.

They're not given quotas to fail guys though, you can't fail someone for not doing anything worthy of a major.
No but it makes them prejudiced against young male drivers which makes them more likely to discriminate.

If men have more accidents then they're more likely to be worse drivers and not pass.
Actually women tend to have more accidents but men tend to have more costly ones - hence insurance for men is higher.

Likewise it is possible to be innocent in an accident.

Certain test centres might have quieter and have less difficult routes, and they might have more lenient examiners BUT if your driving is of a high quality you should pass wherever you are.
What is 'high quality'? It's meaningless, open to interpretation, open to prejudice, open to human error, etc. You have a very rose tinted view of the world but it's anything but that.

We're going to have to agree to disagree.
CuteStar*
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i'd be half asleep
squeak
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
We're going to have to agree to disagree.
True that.
Advisor
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not true. You are welcome to have anyone you like accompany you on test, whether it be your instructor, parent or friend. The process is open and transparent, but I get the impression you're bitter over a bad experience.

[ Citation needed ]

So why is the female pass rate lower than the male one at each centre?
Elegant Elephant
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Asking for other people's experiences is pretty irrelevant when you look at cold hard evidence - the pass rate is lower during rush hour than it is during quieter times of the day. In fact many driving instructors will encourage you to cancel tests during rush hour in favour of quieter times.

Think of it this way, outside of rush hour everywhere is going to be quieter. You can say what you like about examiners taking you to quieter areas in the rush hour but you are invariably going to encounter more traffic which is going to increase your risk of error (ie; it's more difficult to get out of a busy junction, find a safe place to pull over, etc).

If only it were that simple - it depends so much on who you are (ie; gender, appearance, etc), what examiner you get, what route you do, what time of day it is, how nervous you are, etc.
How exactly does it depend on your gender or appearance? :confused:
squeak
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ElegantElephant™)
How exactly does it depend on your gender or appearance? :confused:
Ergh gawd...we've had this argument.
Super Conor
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I had mine at 3:40 pm, the area had 3 primary schools so was pretty busy. I found it helpful, with it being more busy etc it helps you to keep concentration at all times.

Plus, if you're good enough, you'll pass whatever time you take the test.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (136)
14.41%
I'm not sure (41)
4.34%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (285)
30.19%
I have already dropped out (24)
2.54%
I'm not a current university student (458)
48.52%

Watched Threads