Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elvliz)
    really helpful review! What is the 1st year halls accommodation like? what are the pros and cons of places like the student village?

Reading Student Village (RSV) and St.Georges (SG) are privately managed halls, not run by the university. They are self-catered and very much on the pricey side.

I lived in RSV last year and found it quiet and lacking community (unless you were Greek or Nigerian/Afro-Carib in which case there was a thriving society). Basically, the layout (six rooms and a kitchen to each flat, only the occupants of the flat can get into the flat) to be isolationist and not productive for meeting people. On the other hand, it's a big place and there were a couple other buildings turned over mostly to freshers and those could have been more lively. The rooms, kitchens etc are all very nice and pretty well laid out and kitted out, though it can help to have a second fridge in the kitchen and a little extra storage.

My biggest gripe was the cost. I couldn't see what my extra expenditure got me over the uni-self catered halls such as Sherfield. For example, in Sherfield the cleaners cleaned the kitchens daily, and even your room and bathroom weekly. Whereas in RSV they gave the kitchen a brief wipe-down once a week. I don't mind cleaning up after myself--- but.... put it this way, my student houses cost me £3100 for 12 months, RSV cost £4800 for 50 weeks... this was admitedly an "enhanced room" (read, on the top floor so we'll charge you more because we can) but the standard room was not significantly cheaper - considering there's no real extras with RSV over a house, it's a hard price to justify. There are also more expensive rooms if you're feeling flush with cash. Note that there are no hall communal areas (Bar, computer rooms etc) which all the inhouse university halls do have. SG may be slightly different.

ReputationRep:
    So the only rock place is the 'Purple Turtle'?
    And are there problems with racism?

ReputationRep:
    If you are disabled or considering studying computer science, avoid The University of Reading like the plague. They basically treat disabled like second class citizens and you have to battle with them to get basic adjustments, as for their computer science degree, they seem to think that teaching you software house business management module is going to help you as a programmer, this includes spending your entire first year making a board game. This is not the 1950's, UOR have consistently scored low for the past 5 years on their computer programming course.

ReputationRep:
    Two posts about the same thing? You clearly have an axe to grind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deesher)
    Two posts about the same thing? You clearly have an axe to grind.
    You clearly can't read the date.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 30, 2017

University open days

1. University of Reading
    All departments will be respresented Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
  2. University of Reading
    All departments will be respresented Undergraduate
    Sat, 13 Oct '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.