A Levels To Be Chartered Accountant Watch

Warrior078
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I want to be a chartered accountant and I just want to know if these are the right A Levels I have chosen:
Maths (Statistics)
Economics
History
Physics (Dropping it in A2)
Teaddict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
How about Accountancy, Finance, Statistics, Economics and Business Studies
Warrior078
Rep:
?
I've heard Accountany and Business are soft subjects so I don't want to choose them. My new sixth form also doesn't do Finance.
luckylucifer
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
History is a bit of an odd one, but if you like it then I guess there's nothing wrong choosing it as it'll keep your essay-writing skills up. Maybe take up Further Maths? Definitely keep Maths and Economics though.
Warrior078
Rep:
?
Yeah Maths and Economics are ones I definitely want to keep, I'm not choosing Further Maths as I know I won't be able to do any good in the subject.
LettersFromTheSky
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Warrior078)
I've heard Accountany and Business are soft subjects so I don't want to choose them. My new sixth form also doesn't do Finance.
Ive heard that too but i know quite a few people who say its quite heavy, one of my friends is doing accoutancy and shes doing accoutns at alevel.
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Past math, as long as you do A levels that are not percieved as soft, you are going to be fine.

So yes they are completely fine. No need to do F math.
The-Real-One
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I want to be a chartered accountant and I just want to know if these are the right A Levels I have chosen:
Maths (Statistics)
Economics
History
Keep Maths and Economics. But drop History, far too heavy a workload that is not relevant to what you want to to at university.
.ACS.
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Those A-Levels are fine. The most important is A-Level Maths because it shows you as being analytical.

Do you want to go into chartered accountancy after your A-Levels or do you actually want to do a degree and then after your degree go into chartered accountancy? Also, what degree do you want to do?
-WhySoSerious?
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Pretty much any combination of academically respected subjectes including maths would be fine.
Warrior078
Rep:
?
(Original post by .ACS.)
Those A-Levels are fine. The most important is A-Level Maths because it shows you as being analytical.

Do you want to go into chartered accountancy after your A-Levels or do you actually want to do a degree and then after your degree go into chartered accountancy? Also, what degree do you want to do?
Erm I reckon I'm going to do an accounting degree and then go into chartered accountancy.
thenewromance1234
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
They're fine. To be honest, as a profession it doesn't seem to require much academic ability from what I've seen. You have to pass the exams and stuff with ICAEW but I wouldn't say any of this particularly draws on any A levels you've studied and I wouldn't say an A level in accounting would help all that much either. Therefore, I'd say to get into a good university to get onto a good grad scheme, I'd just say do 4 respected A levels, whichever they may be.
-WhySoSerious?
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Erm I reckon I'm going to do an accounting degree and then go into chartered accountancy.
To be honest (and from what i've heard from people working at Deloitte/KPMG) an accountancy degree won't prepare you much more than any other degree. You'll still have to memorise loads of terms/accountancy related stuff for the ACA (assuming you do one), and the people who did accounting degrees kinda sit back, thinking they know most of it, and consequently sometimes don't do as well as someone who studied, say, history.

All the graduate programs at big 4/large accountancy/professional services firms require is a 2.1 in a decent subject. That could pretty much be anything.
Warrior078
Rep:
?
(Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
To be honest (and from what i've heard from people working at Deloitte/KPMG) an accountancy degree won't prepare you much more than any other degree. You'll still have to memorise loads of terms/accountancy related stuff for the ACA (assuming you do one), and the people who did accounting degrees kinda sit back, thinking they know most of it, and consequently sometimes don't do as well as someone who studied, say, history.

All the graduate programs at big 4/large accountancy/professional services firms require is a 2.1 in a decent subject. That could pretty much be anything.
Really? I didn't know that, but could I ask about how long does an accounting degree take and what does 2.1 mean and how does that decimal number thing work? Thanks
-WhySoSerious?
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Really? I didn't know that, but could I ask about how long does an accounting degree take and what does 2.1 mean and how does that decimal number thing work? Thanks
It's 3 years, as any other bachelors degree is. 2.1 is a grade. The grading system at uni goes 1st, 2.1 (two-one), 2.2 (two-two), 3rd, pass, fail.
Warrior078
Rep:
?
I've just gone tuition and asked my tutor about what I should pick, he said that I should do:
Maths
Business
ICT
And whatever I want to do like History

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Mist786
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Choose Accounting a-level it will give you a small boast of what the course in uni will be like

Oh and Business
KyriakosCy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey, i also want to become a Charter Accountant (maybe) and i have a place at LSE for Accounting & Finance. My ALs are Accounting, Maths, Further Maths and History! Deffinetely try Accounting if you are really set on becoming a Charter Accountant as it would definetely help you with university. Also further maths will be helpful as finance includes many topics from further maths. Hope that helps!
Waabis
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello guys! A quik question from me.
I am at the end of GCSE and am starting A-Levels in September 2013.
My A-Level choices-

Maths
Chemistry
Physics
Further Maths
Geography

In the start I wanted to do engineering but then I thought of Chartered Accountancy. I cannot change my options now, so I wanted to know is it still possible to get to the top uni's and then become a Chartered Accountant, with these subjects? Please help!
sarah09_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Maths (Statistics)
Economics
History
Those are fine. My sister is training to be an accountant and she did maths, chemistry, physics and French so you don't need further maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (38)
10.61%
I used to but I don't now (12)
3.35%
No, but I want to start (124)
34.64%
No, I am unable to (82)
22.91%
No, I chose not to (102)
28.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise