Turn on thread page Beta

New 'Arthurian Legends/King Arthur Society' watch

ReputationRep:
    We are going to discuss my right to the throne...

ReputationRep:
    I'm Back!!!!! How have y'all been doing? I have been out for 2 days, and everything changes. I think that a good topic to start off would be the role of the King Arthur archetype in British History. Have any monarchs tried to create themselves as a 'Once and future King' or do you feel that there are other people of power who try to emulate characters from the Arthurian Legends?

ReputationRep:
    The Arthurian legends have been a benchmark at least since 1300s, and it is quite likely that chivalry, the quest for something noble, protecting the distressed etc was considered to be quite noble.
    I often felt that Henry V was modelling himself later (as a king) on Arthur. Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    :ridinghor Hail, it is I Gawain, back from adventures in the West (Exmoor- thou slayed the beasteth).
    It Saddens me to see Camelot in such dissaray, I sense foul dealings, hmmmm, dark magic is at work, I share your concerns, we must nominate a King soon lest Albion slide into anarchy and oblivion.

When upon Exmoor a sage told me that who ever pulleth this virtual sword from this virtual stone is by right the true king. I shall try, hmmgrrrrrrrr :vmad: THou is not the King, You try.

ReputationRep:
    I can sit only on Seat Perilious and pull the sword from yonder marble rock- this one is not for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleur-de-lis)
    The Arthurian legends have been a benchmark at least since 1300s, and it is quite likely that chivalry, the quest for something noble, protecting the distressed etc was considered to be quite noble.
    I often felt that Henry V was modelling himself later (as a king) on Arthur. Any thoughts?
    Henry V may have tried to model himself upon Arthur, but he can't have been that Chivilrous- At Agincore :fight: , his greatest victory where 5000 English and Welsh troops defeated 25,000s Frenchmen- 100s of captured French soldiers were massacred so that the English could retreat before more French armies appeared.- practical maybe.

Definetly people have tried to model themselves upon the Arthur and his knights or use it for a political purpose from Edward I in setting up teh order of the Garter even to the Nazi's who were well into their folklaw to bolster Nationalism (recomended viewing- Indiana Jones and teh Last Crusade).
    What i find interesting is, why at the Zenith of Imperial Britain, did the Victorians become so interested in a legend about a Celtic king, esp with the threat of Pan Celticism from Irish and Scotish Catholics, and why did the English come to adobt as one of their national hero's, a Celtic chieftan who would have fought against their ancestors? (this is similar to the way the English talk about Boudicca)

Anyway, enought of this, there are damsels in distress to be rescued, dragons to be slain and deeds to do that will be recorded and retold to entertain the children of tomorrow.

Yours Gawain, :ridinghor

ReputationRep:
    oi, so what are we talking about now?

SC
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Can I be Sir Gaheris?

ReputationRep:
    Fight Sir!! No knight shall pass ME without a duel...

Ahem *shoving SC into the back of the brain* hello Sir Gaheris, and welcome to King Arthur's Court. Enjoy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~MOi~)
    oi, so what are we talking about now?

SC
    See Lancelot's post 102 above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caspian)
    Definetly people have tried to model themselves upon the Arthur and his knights or use it for a political purpose from Edward I in setting up teh order of the Garter even to the Nazi's who were well into their folklaw to bolster Nationalism (recomended viewing- Indiana Jones and teh Last Crusade).
    What i find interesting is, why at the Zenith of Imperial Britain, did the Victorians become so interested in a legend about a Celtic king, esp with the threat of Pan Celticism from Irish and Scotish Catholics, and why did the English come to adobt as one of their national hero's, a Celtic chieftan who would have fought against their ancestors? (this is similar to the way the English talk about Boudicca)

Yours Gawain, :ridinghor
    Nazis seem to be quite interested in such legends. Victorians would have probably omitted the Celtic bit just to suit their own ideals. Since it was the period of imperialism, people probably needed a nice morale boost with such stories from the past.

ReputationRep:
    My information on King Arthur is limited to fairytales and Camelot "The Movie".
    I deeply regret not reading that book about King Arthur and the Round Table...

ReputationRep:
    That's fine, gentle Sir. Thou art our dearest messenger to the unknown lands in the kingdom of TSR! Thine aid is greatly appreciated.

* you should come here Moi, the huge hall of Harry Potter is here
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I like to think that my knowledge on King Arthur is quite good, but I havent read any books on the subject in a while, so I may have forgotten some things.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't either!

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps we should start with the coronation of King Arthur...

ReputationRep:
    I do believe that the Victorians did try to emulate certain ideas of chivalry, and certainly did try to revive the Arthurian ideal in their society. I feel that perhaps the aristocracy, by virtue of their monopoly over the officer class in the militiary, were the major drive in the revival, since they were the ones who tried to be the Knights of the Round Table.

Sorry I have been out so much, Sir Lancelot has been volunteering in helping evacuees who are trying to flee New Orleans because of the massive Hurricane that is about to wip ou the city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleur-de-lis)
    That's fine, gentle Sir. Thou art our dearest messenger to the unknown lands in the kingdom of TSR! Thine aid is greatly appreciated.

* you should come here Moi, the huge hall of Harry Potter is here
    Really? No fear! Sir Cadogan is here!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Indeed.

ReputationRep:
    I meant 'here' as in the city where I am now, humble knight!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2006
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.