Turn on thread page Beta

William Wallace and Scotland watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertineNorth)
    I assume you are supporting an English Parliament/National Assembly then?
    No I'm supporting a proportionally devolved system. The current system gives certain citizens undue political influence (i.e. about 5 million scots affecting english and welsh legislation and control over key areas at a regional level). All citizens of the democracy should be equal, the current system has some more equal than others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    No I'm supporting a proportionally devolved system. The current system gives certain citizens undue political influence (i.e. about 5 million scots affecting english and welsh legislation and control over key areas at a regional level). All citizens of the democracy should be equal, the current system has some more equal than others
    This, if you can be arsed to read it, may be of interest to you. You may have already done so, I'm not sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    Historically yes. As a fantasy its passable. Would you have found it any more interesting had it been made in Gaelic,Norman French and Middle English? Apparently Mel was already in the middle of his 'total authenticity' phase and wanted to make Braveheart in the same way he went on to make the Passion of the Christ but the studios said nein.
    As it said at the beginning of the film, people will disagree with this version of events, because history is written by the victors - or something like that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikk)
    As it said at the beginning of the film, people will disagree with this version of events, because history is written by the victors - or something like that!
    The film had nothing to do with any history of the time ive ever come across - i mean for the love of god there was no bridge at the battle of stirling bridge even. Also wallace was the 2nd in command at that battle to the other Guardian of Scotland - Andrew de Moray.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    The film had nothing to do with any history of the time ive ever come across - i mean for the love of god there was no bridge at the battle of stirling bridge even. Also wallace was the 2nd in command at that battle to the other Guardian of Scotland - Andrew de Moray.
    I agree - recent research has shown that Moray was the true architect of victory at Stirling Bridge. Wallace was fine at guerilla warfare, but de Moray was the man who could win battles, and it is thought that the death of Moray was one of the (many) reasons why Wallace lost at Falkirk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Waddell)
    I agree - recent research has shown that Moray was the true architect of victory at Stirling Bridge. Wallace was fine at guerilla warfare, but de Moray was the man who could win battles, and it is thought that the death of Moray was one of the (many) reasons why Wallace lost at Falkirk.
    Yup. It is likely that the rebellion could never truly have gotten into full flow without de Moray as he was, unlike Wallace, a member of the upper nobility who could thus attract support and give a certain veneer of 'legitimacy' to the general revolt throughout Scotland at that time. It is unlikely that the nobles would have given much support to a man of Wallaces background on his own. As you say he was primarily a guerilla fighter but there should be not doubt that de Moray was the general of the army and following his death Wallace did not win a single battle as far as i can remember.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.