The Student Room Group

Oxford Physics Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

I've got to be there by noon Sunday, and I'm travelling down on the Saturday evening and staying then (no trains where I live early enough on Sunday morning). I've been asked for one photograph and to bring lots of stuff to do....

I've had no schedule at all for the interviews themselves
(At Queen's btw)
Reply 781
You think there's any good reason why a lot of the colleges need us there by noon sunday? (mine's St. Peter's) I'm travelling from N.I. so I have to take a plane to Heathrow then an hour and half bus to Oxford. I told them I'd just travel on sunday with the implication I may very well be late (i think I'll arrive at 1pm assuming no serious delays). Thoughts? Is that actually serious that you need to bring lots of schoolwork? I'm not planning to ruin an otherwise good holiday with french literature essay writing...(it's on La Symphonie Pastorale lol FML...)
Reply 782
Deno_7951
You think there's any good reason why a lot of the colleges need us there by noon sunday? (mine's St. Peter's) I'm travelling from N.I. so I have to take a plane to Heathrow then an hour and half bus to Oxford.

Quite possibly, there'll be an introductory talk at 12 followed by lunch and a round of interviews on Sunday afternoon.

I told them I'd just travel on sunday with the implication I may very well be late (i think I'll arrive at 1pm assuming no serious delays). Thoughts?

Very bad idea.

Is that actually serious that you need to bring lots of schoolwork? I'm not planning to ruin an otherwise good holiday with french literature essay writing...(it's on La Symphonie Pastorale lol FML...)

They only mean for you to have enough to keep you occupied (which, if you're not a total sociophobe, needn't be anything). If you don't want to spend waste your time in Oxford writing an essay and let's be honest; who would? don't bring it.
Deno_7951
You think there's any good reason why a lot of the colleges need us there by noon sunday? (mine's St. Peter's) I'm travelling from N.I. so I have to take a plane to Heathrow then an hour and half bus to Oxford. I told them I'd just travel on sunday with the implication I may very well be late (i think I'll arrive at 1pm assuming no serious delays). Thoughts? Is that actually serious that you need to bring lots of schoolwork? I'm not planning to ruin an otherwise good holiday with french literature essay writing...(it's on La Symphonie Pastorale lol FML...)

I think its because the majority will be getting interviewed on the Sunday... And if you really can't make it on time I'd think it's okay if you just informed them but I'd try to make the effort (Fyi I'm taking the train to oxford from London paddington, they might still sell the tickets for £2.50 online which might be cheaper than the bus :smile:).
And no I think they just ask you to bring school work because you'll be missing school lessons and you have alot of free time while you're at Oxford (omg French. I sucked at french :p:).
is everyone bringing work to do? Tbh i don't actually have any.
I bought an open return ticket so I have to travel on the allocated day but then have to return any time (off-peak) within the next month. So as long as I am allowed home by mid-Jan I won't be losing any money :P
It was about £15 from London with a student rail card.

Weird that my college wants me there only for 6pm....
Reply 785
I've worked out, if me and my friend (hes got comp sci interview) leg it from our arrival terminal to the bus station at heathrow (he said it takes like 25 mins at a brisk walk - ive got 30 mins between arrival and the bus to get my suitcase etc) I should be able to catch the 10:30 bus to oxford, which will mean arriving at hopefully ~12 noon. The bus station is a few mins from St. Peters, so in theory I could make it in time for the noon deadline. In theory.

Anyway I'd already emailed the college informing them about my travel arrangements. They know I might arrive slightly late. Well unless everyone else is gonna insist on doing work I'd much rather just hang out with all the other applicants.
Wow that deal sounds great, I might get that!
Nah I probably won't be able to concentrate on other work until the interviews are over... Actually no I have an A2 physics mock that week... so Ill just bring my cgp book or something. Oh and my awesome physis book I need to finish reading :biggrin:
Reply 787
Deno_7951
Anyway I'd already emailed the college informing them about my travel arrangements. They know I might arrive slightly late.

That's another matter entirely, then. :o:

Well unless everyone else is gonna insist on doing work I'd much rather just hang out with all the other applicants.

Rest assured, they won't.
Reply 788
Yeh I'm starting to think arriving 'fashionably late' won't go down too well with the Oxford professors. Anyhow...
05wilsea
yh it was accelerated through a known V to a screen a known distance away and it asked how much it would drop, i got 5x10^-14 i believe

Thanks! If anyone else knows any of the values given in the question, please let me know!
Deno_7951
Yeh I'm starting to think arriving 'fashionably late' won't go down too well with the Oxford professors. Anyhow...

I think as long as you've let them know, it'll be absolutely fine. They know people travel a long way. Anyway, I know they don't always interview on the Sunday, even if they ask you to be there at noon. If I were an interviewer, I might insist on having my Sunday to myself, assuming Monday gave me enough time to comfortably interview everyone.
Forwen
Anyone got rejected? I still have no response but I moved on 1st of December and only updated my address through UCAS around this date. Got the confirmation letter from UCAS, nothing from anyone else... And still, shouldn't a rejection show up on Track and in email? Trinity college!

Trinity here as well, and I've got NOTHING. No letter, no email, UCAS hasn't even updated since October 14th.... I'm getting really, REALLY annoyed. Never mind the fact that the anticipation is killing me. The more important issue is, I live in Western Canada... if I have an interview, I need to fly out in 4 days... if I get a letter tomorrow, I'll have 2 days to organize everything, to fly out on Friday. :/

Interview invites don't show up on Track, right? Rejections probably should be up by now, though... right? How long does it actually take Track to update?
But I mean, they say they figure out who gets an interview and who gets rejected collectively, don't they? The tutors supposedly all get together? Shouldn't the letters all go out roughly the same time? :/
I've gotten to the point where I'm over-analyzing the situation. :rolleyes:
I don't know if I haven't gotten a letter because Trinity is just super late with getting them out, or if it's because of a mixture of the postal strikes and me being overseas.
I figure I'll wait until tomorrow. If I haven't received a letter, then I'll call Trinity super late Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning (the time difference means I have a window of between 1 am and 7 am to call. fantastic.)
fakeplastictrees
Trinity here as well, and I've got NOTHING. No letter, no email, UCAS hasn't even updated since October 14th.... I'm getting really, REALLY annoyed. Never mind the fact that the anticipation is killing me. The more important issue is, I live in Western Canada... if I have an interview, I need to fly out in 4 days... if I get a letter tomorrow, I'll have 2 days to organize everything, to fly out on Friday. :/

Interview invites don't show up on Track, right? Rejections probably should be up by now, though... right? How long does it actually take Track to update?
But I mean, they say they figure out who gets an interview and who gets rejected collectively, don't they? The tutors supposedly all get together? Shouldn't the letters all go out roughly the same time? :/
I've gotten to the point where I'm over-analyzing the situation. :rolleyes:
I don't know if I haven't gotten a letter because Trinity is just super late with getting them out, or if it's because of a mixture of the postal strikes and me being overseas.
I figure I'll wait until tomorrow. If I haven't received a letter, then I'll call Trinity super late Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning (the time difference means I have a window of between 1 am and 7 am to call. fantastic.)

track won't update for rejection / acceptance at all until mid-January apparantly.
Reply 793
Oxford don't tend to update track til January, so I'd say get in contact with your college by phone or email and explain you've moved house so it may have got lost in the post.
Forwen
Anyone got rejected? I still have no response but I moved on 1st of December and only updated my address through UCAS around this date. Got the confirmation letter from UCAS, nothing from anyone else... And still, shouldn't a rejection show up on Track and in email? Trinity college!

I've taken some holiday leave from work, so I don't plan on doing any work over the three days (although I will probably end up doing some anyway!)
Ah, alright, so no point in analyzing it. I may as well just call them up and see what's going on.
Reply 795
Got my rejection from Jesus yesterday, which was to be expected but still disappointing. Just waiting to hear back from one uni now, I wish track would update the oxford offer sooner than January. I'm a bit OCD like that.
Reply 796
i'm not bringing any school work, though maybe a book to read, hopefully all of the other applicants will be cool and we can just hang out
Reply 797
Anyone applied to Keble college?
Reply 798
Not seen anyone else at Hertford yet...

Also, on my letter it says I will be needed til 5pm tue, bt possibly asked to stay til the wednesday.

Anyone know the likelyhood of this occuring, as Ive got a gig to go to on the wednesday evening which is a 4 hour train journery away?
They'll probably tell you how long you need to stay some time on Tuesday. I remember waiting around until about 4pm before we could leave. Most people can leave early but sometimes there are extra interviews.. you won't really know until the day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending