Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    can any one tell me if 256 memory is a lot or not for a computer as i am looking to buy a lap top but dont know if this is a lot of memory help any one
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan_h)
    can any one tell me if 256 memory is a lot or not for a computer as i am looking to buy a lap top but dont know if this is a lot of memory help any one
    Thanks
    its quite a lot yes - more than enough

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    256MB is ok, but 512MB is now the standard. It depends what you want to do with it, if you're just after a word processor and somthing to surf the web 256mb is ok.

The processor is more important with laptops as this cannot be upgraded but memory can.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    It's certainly enough for standard office apps and the like. It really depends on how much you're paying as to whether it's value for money. You may be able to get more...

ReputationRep:
    unless you want to run really cutting edge graphics programmes you will be fine will 256.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    256MB is ok, but 512MB is now the standard. It depends what you want to do with it, if you're just after a word processor and somthing to surf the web 256mb is ok.
    512 standard? I wouldn't say so.

I have 256 (well actually 384) on my main machine and it runs everything I want just fine, and it did when I had 256 too.

ReputationRep:
    seeing as you're buying a laptop, you're not going to play any powerful games on it, so 256 is enough.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    256 MB of memory is adequate. You only need more if you are using really graphics intensive software, e.g. Photo editing, movie editing, etc.

Most games will run fine on 256MB of Ram.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Do a lot of flying do you? Or are you buying a laptop and paying for all the minitiarisation because they look nice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    512 standard? I wouldn't say so.

I have 256 (well actually 384) on my main machine and it runs everything I want just fine, and it did when I had 256 too.
    If you go to any proper computer shop now (not PC world or any of the crap like that) 512MB is the minimum on all but the cheapest machines. 256MB is fine for most people but not developers.

I upgraded to 512MB and it made quite a big difference. Before if I had photoshop, flash, fireworks, dreamweaver and and FTP program open all at once the machine ran slow.

If you press ALT CONTROL DELETE in XP and click on system processes it tells you how much physical ram is required and how much virtual memory is having to be used.

At the moment my PC is using 296MB RAM, so if I had 256MB it would have to use virtual memory slowing it down. My PC never uses more than 350MB though.

ReputationRep:
    thanks all for your help. I have another questions
    what is the differnce between windows xp home and the other windows xp

ReputationRep:
    Home is fine for home use (I use home) pro has more networking features and is designed more for office environments.

ReputationRep:
    You might find this useful: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...p_home_pro.asp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Do a lot of flying do you? Or are you buying a laptop and paying for all the minitiarisation because they look nice?
    actually theuy are very useful for university.

ReputationRep:
    I have a nice P233MMX (1998 circa) £100 laptop. 64MB RAM, Windows 98SE its fine for web surfing and general office applications. Useless for software development though.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by elpaw)
    actually theuy are very useful for university.
    I just think it's a lot of money for something that is not as good as a desk top, the trade off on upgradability and adaptability for something that is portable (that will almost never be carried around as often as you plan) is not worth it (IMO). Unless you're at a uni which has extremely poor shared computer facilities - I managed to write my dissertation on one of these jobbies: (cost me £25 including a 14 inch monitor - and £100 for an external zip drive).

ReputationRep:
    I use pro. Is it true that you don't have features like Lock Computer on Home?

That's absolutely essential to me with my mom about - I'm not quite paranoid as I look, she must be the nosiest person in the world.

ReputationRep:
    I just think it's a lot of money for something that is not as good as a desk top, the trade off on upgradability and adaptability for something that is portable (that will almost never be carried around as often as you plan) is not worth it (IMO). Unless you're at a uni which has extremely poor shared computer facilities - I managed to write my dissertation on one of these jobbies: (cost me £25 including a 14 inch monitor - and £100 for an external zip drive).
    Oh my god.

The CRT is like... built into the base unit.

ARGHH!

ReputationRep:
    haha them XT's won't even work with a zip drive! You can get a Pentium P233 for £25 with monitor, then just install a dodgy copy of win98 on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    haha them XT's won't even work with a zip drive! You can get a Pentium P233 for £25 with monitor, then just install a dodgy copy of win98 on it.
    Computer fair!

Ebay!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.