Report 16 years ago
I take it my 32MB isn't enough then?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
haha them XT's won't even work with a zip drive! You can get a Pentium P233 for £25 with monitor, then just install a dodgy copy of win98 on it.
It was a more up to date version than the one pictured...here I've hunted down a more accurate piccy (http://www.retrosynth.com/gear/p70/ )...gorgeous thing

It didn't have a cd rom - loaded Windows 95 on it from floppy then bodged the external zip drive onto it - great fun - after I finished uni I sold the external zip drive on for £60 .

This was back in 1998 - pentium233s were still costing £200 second hand, the 486 worked and did the job nicely for less than a couple of text books.

I've kept the computer - it's sat in the loft and still working, it's a future antique, they sell on ebay for more than I paid.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by a_musical_guy)
you know what they say about men with big RAM.....
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
It didn't have a cd rom - loaded Windows 95 on it from floppy then bodged the external zip drive onto it - great fun - after I finished uni I sold the external zip drive on for £60 .

This was back in 1998 - pentium233s were still costing £200 second hand, the 486 worked and did the job nicely for less than a couple of text books.

I've kept the computer - it's sat in the loft and still working, it's a future antique, they sell on ebay for more than I paid.
Hehe I loved my 486's, I used to have a business building 486 based machines when I was 14/15. I stuck adds in loot without telling my mum, I made a lot of money but my mum went mad and made me put a stop to it.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Its ok if you're running win95.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hehe I loved my 486's, I used to have a business building 486 based machines when I was 14/15. I stuck adds in loot without telling my mum, I made a lot of money but my mum went mad and made me put a stop to it.
why did she go mad? most parent would have been proud to have such a young entrepreneur on board (and would probably siphon off the profits).
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hehe - someone is trying to sell a 386 version of my little puter for $100 on ebay :smug:
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, lets just say that the UKL server has 64MB of RAM lol!
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
why did she go mad? most parent would have been proud to have such a young entrepreneur on board (and would probably siphon off the profits).
Well lets just say the parts came from dodgy conputer market traders and the operating system I installed of them was not exactly ek em legal.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (42)
8.11%
Confident (68)
13.13%
Indifferent (74)
14.29%
Unsure (129)
24.9%
Worried (205)
39.58%

Watched Threads