ReputationRep:
    I take it my 32MB isn't enough then?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    haha them XT's won't even work with a zip drive! You can get a Pentium P233 for £25 with monitor, then just install a dodgy copy of win98 on it.
    It was a more up to date version than the one pictured...here I've hunted down a more accurate piccy (http://www.retrosynth.com/gear/p70/ )...gorgeous thing

It didn't have a cd rom - loaded Windows 95 on it from floppy then bodged the external zip drive onto it - great fun - after I finished uni I sold the external zip drive on for £60 .

This was back in 1998 - pentium233s were still costing £200 second hand, the 486 worked and did the job nicely for less than a couple of text books.

I've kept the computer - it's sat in the loft and still working, it's a future antique, they sell on ebay for more than I paid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_guy)
    you know what they say about men with big RAM.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    It didn't have a cd rom - loaded Windows 95 on it from floppy then bodged the external zip drive onto it - great fun - after I finished uni I sold the external zip drive on for £60 .

This was back in 1998 - pentium233s were still costing £200 second hand, the 486 worked and did the job nicely for less than a couple of text books.

I've kept the computer - it's sat in the loft and still working, it's a future antique, they sell on ebay for more than I paid.
    Hehe I loved my 486's, I used to have a business building 486 based machines when I was 14/15. I stuck adds in loot without telling my mum, I made a lot of money but my mum went mad and made me put a stop to it.

ReputationRep:
    Its ok if you're running win95.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe I loved my 486's, I used to have a business building 486 based machines when I was 14/15. I stuck adds in loot without telling my mum, I made a lot of money but my mum went mad and made me put a stop to it.
    why did she go mad? most parent would have been proud to have such a young entrepreneur on board (and would probably siphon off the profits).
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    hehe - someone is trying to sell a 386 version of my little puter for $100 on ebay :smug:

ReputationRep:
    Well, lets just say that the UKL server has 64MB of RAM lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    why did she go mad? most parent would have been proud to have such a young entrepreneur on board (and would probably siphon off the profits).
    Well lets just say the parts came from dodgy conputer market traders and the operating system I installed of them was not exactly ek em legal.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.