Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Students count multiple A grades

Li Yan also has two AS-levels - grade A
    The rising achievement in A-level exams has produced a crop of individual stellar success stories.
    An 18-year-old student in London has accumulated 10 grade As.

Li Yan took maths when she was 16 and physics a year later, when she was living in Norwich.

She then studied biology, chemistry, economics and government and politics at City of London School for Girls, getting her results this year.

In her spare time she also taught herself further maths, statistics and general studies and, in just one month - for a challenge - law.

"I have always been really fortunate to have a memory that works in my favour," said Ms Yan, who was born in China and came to England when she was three.

She said her experiences at a less fortunate primary school in Leeds had made her all the more determined.

She said: "I started off life in England at quite a poor school.

"That stuck with me for life and it made me so much more socially aware. It made me want to take up every opportunity I was given."

She has been accepted to Trinity College in Cambridge to study natural sciences from September.

ReputationRep:
    I see stories like that and think 'that could have been me if i had no social life for 4 years and did nothing but work'

Unfortunately I think I would have killed myself before I actually achieved anything like that...

ReputationRep:
    I take that back, that could never have been me regardless of hours worked

ReputationRep:
    Any person taking 10 A levels and gets 10 A's is not normal!

HEAD BOY

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HEAD BOY)
    Any person taking 10 A levels and gets 10 A's is not normal!

HEAD BOY
    I think its called smart.

As youre sig says... no dream is impossible

ReputationRep:
    its amazing! however wouldnt you like to meet this person. i bet they lack in other important skills such as social and communication skills, which are learnt through having a SOCIAL LIFE!

ReputationRep:
    Its ppl like her that make me not want to go places like cambridge...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midloon)
    I think its called smart.

As youre sig says... no dream is impossible
    Doing 10 A levels is definitely not a dream for me!!!! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_tara_x)
    its amazing! however wouldnt you like to meet this person. i bet they lack in other important skills such as social and communication skills, which are learnt through having a SOCIAL LIFE!
    Exactly, lol!

ReputationRep:
    i don't think it's particularly fair to make assertions about someone's character purely based on their academic achievements, or a limited newspaper article.
    as it happens, she posts here & by all accounts seems pretty nice. so some of these comments just seem *****y & cruel (& dare i say - jealous?)

that said - i do think being mathematically or linguistically inclined makes it rather easier to notch up such seemingly absurd high numbers (maths, further maths & statistics? come on..! ) with the absence of say 'further history' or 'further biology' A2s offered. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Elles, for all you know, she could have a great social life with lots of friends, and someone who got poor results could be someone with no social skills at all... so you cannot make a judgement about her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    i don't think it's particularly fair to make assertions about someone's character purely based on their academic achievements, or a limited newspaper article.
    as it happens, she posts here & by all accounts seems pretty nice. so some of these comments just seem *****y & cruel (& dare i say - jealous?)

that said - i do think being mathematically or linguistically inclined makes it rather easier to notch up such seemingly absurd high numbers (maths, further maths & statistics? come on..! ) with the absence of say 'further history' or 'further biology' A2s offered. :p:
    Which user is she?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Princess*)
    Students count multiple A grades

Li Yan also has two AS-levels - grade A
    The rising achievement in A-level exams has produced a crop of individual stellar success stories.
    An 18-year-old student in London has accumulated 10 grade As.

Li Yan took maths when she was 16 and physics a year later, when she was living in Norwich.

She then studied biology, chemistry, economics and government and politics at City of London School for Girls, getting her results this year.

In her spare time she also taught herself further maths, statistics and general studies and, in just one month - for a challenge - law.

"I have always been really fortunate to have a memory that works in my favour," said Ms Yan, who was born in China and came to England when she was three.

She said her experiences at a less fortunate primary school in Leeds had made her all the more determined.

She said: "I started off life in England at quite a poor school.

"That stuck with me for life and it made me so much more socially aware. It made me want to take up every opportunity I was given."

She has been accepted to Trinity College in Cambridge to study natural sciences from September.
    well done her! Regardless of what speculation surrounds her potential social life, its still an amazing acheivement. Many other people dont have the ability and/or the drive to take the normal amount of A levels, and so either choose to leave school or just don't work during the AS/A2 years.I totally agree with Elles and Random One... if you had the ability and the drive to take 10 A levels, let alone get straight As, then why not try?

ReputationRep:
    While getting that many grades sounds impressive, I don't think it is particularly difficult. Most Cambridge students could do the same. In fact, there is someone already at Trinity college with 12 A levels (a mathmo who my keeno boyfriend worships :rolleyes: ).

Personally I took one A level two years early and the other four a year early, so on my gap year I could have easily taken another four, to make 11 A level equivalents (I took two grade 8 ABRSMs - the equivalent of A levels). Hence why I don't think it's something fantastic - if I can do it, then it's easily possible - my pic's in the dictionary under "lazy bum"

From looking at Cambridge students, most of the people who do well DON'T go out clubbing. Of course most of them have friends, but they are definitely the Cambridge stereotype. On the whole, if you have a good social life, you should resign yourself to 2i or lower, unless you want to work during exams.

(Original post by silent ninja)
    Its ppl like her that make me not want to go places like cambridge...
    I go clubbing four nights a week, play four college sports, actively participate in propping the bar up and fighting over the tv remote and am a proud member of "quiz machine addicts anonymous" on thefacebook. So don't base your opinions on a keeno like that please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~nat~)
    if you had the ability and the drive to take 10 A levels, let alone get straight As, then why not try?
    Because it's far more fun to go get trollied with your mates :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_tara_x)
    Haha, I assure you that isn't true - Li is a highly ranked schools level debater so she has pretty good communication skills and to the best of my knowledge does lead a pretty good social life - she just has a knack for remembering everything. If you want to talk to her, she is a member of TSR though I will leave it to her to reveal herself if she wants to .

ReputationRep:
    feeling good - i'm with this, i'm afraid. don't want to 'out' her, especially not on a thread where people seem interested as some sort of freakshow attraction.. :rolleyes:

(Original post by JohnStuartMill)
    ..though I will leave it to her to reveal herself if she wants to .
    (Original post by Lauren)
    From looking at Cambridge students, most of the people who do well DON'T go out clubbing. Of course most of them have friends, but they are definitely the Cambridge stereotype. On the whole, if you have a good social life, you should resign yourself to 2i or lower, unless you want to work during exams.
    from looking at the people who do well at my college (Oxford) most of them do go out clubbing, or are presidents/captains/editors of various teams/societies/student papers & the oxford stereotype 'eccentric genius' are the notable minority.
    so i guess these things differ with your sample & perspective..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    Because it's far more fun to go get trollied with your mates :yy:
    excellent!

ReputationRep:
    Taking A-level maths 2 years early and physics a year early, then doing 8 other A-levels, 4 of which were self-taught, is certainly very impressive! As Elles said though, maths, further maths and statistics are all very similar and I don't think we can really count General Studies, since loads of people on :tsr: don't go to any lessons or do any work/revision but still get As. I also agree with the points made about her social life, or lack of it- although I wouldn't like to imagine taking 8 A-levels in the same year, if she can handle the workload, get top grades in them all and still be a normal person, good for her. Not that there's actually any need to do more than 3 A-levels, let alone 10, but each to their own

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)

agreed...i did chat to her once...random PM...and read a post or two in the Cambridge forum...she is normal, socially, and abnormal intellectually (for the better)

PK

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.