Turn on thread page Beta

Phillipino Holiday workers watch

ReputationRep:
    as i'm going on holiday on sunday, it got me thinking about last year's holiday when i went on a mediterranean cruise - very nice, gorgeous places etc. yet every time i walked up the stairs - all six flights of them you passed phillipinos waxing the banisters, cleaning the floors, scrubbing the carpet etc. this in contrast with the overweight bright orange holiday makers going up to the sundeck to bathe for about 5 hours on end... i know the philipinos were paid and everything but still there was something about it that didn't feel good. they were always so friendly and cheerful and in the restaurant one guy always got us the nicest seats and they used to play the guitar and generally brighten up our stay. our cabin cleaner Yudi had a large family back home to support but yet he hardly ever got to see them as he had to be on the ship about 8 mths a year, hence we ended up giving him a large tip plus he always cleaned the place immaculately. we had this really emotional hug thing with him at end of holidays and it was as though he genuinely liked us although obviously he had to do a good job and everything... although with some of them you could tell they thought the holiday makers were really decadent - which they were. anyway i'm not sure why i posted this, its just something that touched me and made me feel kind of guilty..

ReputationRep:
    Yes, those filipinos are a friendly bunch, aren't they ?

ReputationRep:
    Uh. Yeah what the person above me said .

ReputationRep:
    You should try working on an oil rig - it would make that look like a cruise....which incidentally it is.

ReputationRep:
    Lol indeed... another thing that got to me though was people pointed the accusatory finger at the philipino staff when it was announced that in Tunisia, 4 employees had jumped ship costing the captain 200,000 euros as he'd unwittingly let them off the boat with their passports - in the end it turned out it was egyptian employees.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 23, 2005
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.