Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What would work well with Chemistry/Biology/Physics besides Maths. - I have absolutely no idea what I would enjoy doing but the sciences seem to cover a wide base. And secondly, what does it take to get into medicine, generally speaking, grades and subjects I mean.

And something else I want to mention, I've been reading alot of the threads on TSD with people claiming that anything below 8* at GCSE level is laughable, have these people got a grip?

Personally I live in Northern Ireland where the exam board is CCEA - Now I have seen alot of the English/Scottish work and I can tell you for a fact that the Northern Irish exam board are much tougher than any in England without question, so it is no one's place to say that anything below 8* is laughable because of the significant difference in the exam boards.
    The only thing that is laughable is the difference in education between the Northern Irish and English systems, and its ironic that they are trying to turn the Northern Irish system into what England's is. Anyway any advice on AS choices would be much appreciated =)

ReputationRep:
    i think ifor medicine t should be 2 science based subjects+maths+some arty subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    i think ifor medicine t should be 2 science based subjects+maths+some arty subject.

Is maths really essiantial? Could Physics not take it's place >.< ?

ReputationRep:
    Medicine courses usually require Chemistry, Biology then either physics or maths. Ig you've decided to do chemistry, biology and physics, then I suggest you take something along the lines of history, english or business studies to balance it out a bit, as unis like to see 'well rounded' students who's talents don't merely lie in one area.

And for the record, very few people on TSR have the attitude that anything below 8*s is laughable, I know that certainly is not my opinion, and it is not a reason for you to belittle the english educational system when we have worked just as hard as you for these exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Bex~)
    Medicine courses usually require Chemistry, Biology then either physics or maths. Ig you've decided to do chemistry, biology and physics, then I suggest you take something along the lines of history, english or business studies to balance it out a bit, as unis like to see 'well rounded' students who's talents don't merely lie in one area.

And for the record, very few people on TSR have the attitude that anything below 8*s is laughable, I know that certainly is not my opinion, and it is not a reason for you to belittle the english educational system when we have worked just as hard as you for these exams.
    I agree with you. But I find it just a tad annoying (=P) when some English git brags to me about getting 10 A* when I have worked harder and got 10 A's and knowing that our system is much tougher, I just want people to recognise that, I hope employers/uni's do.

ReputationRep:
    How can you honestly know that your system is tougher when you haven't actually been through both systems? Looking at exam papers is not enough, for starters, the syllabuses may be entirely different (not harder or easier, just different), for another, you might just happen to find the content of English exams easier for you, everyone has different learning styles and it may be that english exams suit your style. And finally, you cannot compare because you do not know how the grade boundaries compare. One of your exams might be easier than one of ours, but you may also only need half the marks to get an equivalent grade. You just don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Bex~)
    How can you honestly know that your system is tougher when you haven't actually been through both systems? Looking at exam papers is not enough, for starters, the syllabuses may be entirely different (not harder or easier, just different), for another, you might just happen to find the content of English exams easier for you, everyone has different learning styles and it may be that english exams suit your style. And finally, you cannot compare because you do not know how the grade boundaries compare. One of your exams might be easier than one of ours, but you may also only need half the marks to get an equivalent grade. You just don't know.

You are probably right, why dont the gits just get together and create one giant exam board for the whole of the UK >.<

ReputationRep:
    Chem/Bio/Phy/ICT an Ok combo for anything medicine related then? =)

P.s Why do the English diss the Welsh (is that the correct spelling?) all the time.

ReputationRep:
    So long as you have Chemistry and Physics at A level with biology at AS level then you're safe. Maths is acceptable but not essential. English literature is acceptable as well but not english language. The grades need to be at AAB or ABB for guaranteed entry. I was thinking of doing medicine at university but changed my mind because of the amount of work involved. With chemistry and biology u could do biochemistry, biology and with physics u could go on to computer science and artificial intelligence (robotics). I chose to do Zoology and I'm taking Chemistry, Biology, English Language, geography and German depending on my results on thursday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john171)
    P.s Why do the English diss the Welsh (is that the correct spelling?) all the time.
    I think the Welsh diss the English just as much :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, those options should be fine, but remember that it's not all down to grades. Medicine courses are very competitive, and generally require related work experience, so make sure you get some in order to be in with the best chance possible.

ReputationRep:
    You know what this thread reminds me of?...all those bloody threads about respected and disrespected subjects!

HEAD BOY

ReputationRep:
    It'z crazy that the UK are crying out for paramedics/doctors/nurses etc...yet the Universities are accepting very few into their medicine courses. Why is that =/ ?

ReputationRep:
    yea but uve got to have certain subjects for a medecine course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john171)
    It'z crazy that the UK are crying out for paramedics/doctors/nurses etc...yet the Universities are accepting very few into their medicine courses. Why is that =/ ?
    Don't be so sure about that. There was an article in my local paper yesterday about a man who had a pHd in medicine from a prestigious uni, as well as ALOT of valuable work experience, including work on an international breakthrough in treating a fatal heart condition, and yet after graduating he sent off over 100 job applications and was not offered a single permanent job. He has now given up his dream of being a doctor to become a handyman, as this was the only way he could find to make money.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I live in Northern Ireland where the exam board is CCEA - Now I have seen alot of the English/Scottish work and I can tell you for a fact that the Northern Irish exam board are much tougher than any in England without question,
    the next time you complete a full GCSE course in enlgland, then u may go on about how hard and tough u have it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smudger99)
    the next time you complete a full GCSE course in enlgland, then u may go on about how hard and tough u have it.
    My best pal is English, he sat the first year of GCSE's in England in then moved to N.I. Where he saw the difference and told me.

But you are probably right. =) (havent i said this already =s ? )

ReputationRep:
    ok point taken, i cant really say because i havent really had much experience with northern ireland examination boards but i dont see why the government cant establish a system that is equal for everyone in the united kingdom!!

ReputationRep:
    You have the essential subjects (biology and chemistry) and a third science (physics) so you can choose pretty much anything you want for the fourth subject. ICT would be fine. As Bex said, medicine is extremely competitive and if you can get yourself some work experience, you'll be in a much stronger position.

ReputationRep:
    Work experience is actually vital for medicine applications to the top universities.

Regarding the 4th subject: Maths is always a good-one, but I remember a friend of mine, who is also looking to do medicine, once saying that Unis like students who combine the sciences with an arty subject - might be something to look into. (which peoples have already mentioned)

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.