Turn on thread page Beta

Oxbridge Hotties watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tifa)
    And would love if someone could clear up what these college 'drinking societies' are that I hear tell of...
    Well as far as I can tell, considering I'm not a member of one, they're the boat club without the boating!

ReputationRep:
    I think your all being fairly sterio typical!

All i can say is if i get the grades and take up my offer next year, i will not be acting tame! (whether im good looking is a matter of opinion that ic annot reallly express).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tagzt)
    lol, Cambridge may finish higher in the league tables but when it comes to the "Brookes" factor, OXford wins hands down!
    According to the Times, Oxford came top for 2003 and Cambridge just behind:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,716,00.html then click The top 100 universities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamierwilliams)
    According to the Times, Oxford came top for 2003 and Cambridge just behind:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,716,00.html then click The top 100 universities
    indeed but apparently people think the times league table isn't as well respected as the sunday times in which cambridge finishes top. but statistics are statistics, who really cares?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tagzt)
    indeed but apparently people think the times league table isn't as well respected as the sunday times in which cambridge finishes top. but statistics are statistics, who really cares?
    Indeed, although they've appeared to have changed the formulae they use this year - the grauniad's league tables also used to put Oxford top. This is because the times (and previously the grauniad) take into account the spending to a much greater extent. Even on the normal Times' table Cambridge beats Oxford in Teaching, Research, staff-student ratio, job prospects, first/seconds and entry standards.
    In the end anyone applying is going to be able to look at the breakdown of the statistics in the tables and make a judgement on which elements are more suitable for the way the course is run at that institution. Of course, there is also a lot to find out about department's reputations as well, for example, Oxford's computer science department is supposedly declining and they are beaten by Warwick, York, Soton, Edinburgh and Imperial according to the grauniad.

Anyhow, this has very little to do with 'fit' oxbridge people - where are all the photos :rolleyes:

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    League tables are silly anyway. The way RAE assesments are carried out is absolutely ridiculous and doesn't take into account the most important research done in this country. It's scandalous.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.