Should i do another as in a2 year. Watch

This discussion is closed.
znicz
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hi im just wondering if people who only do 3 as levels are really dissadvantaged when it come to applying to university. I only did 3 as levels in yr 12(bio, chem, psychology) and need to resist 2 mods for chem(got an E) and 1 mod for biology. The head of year advised me not to do another as as it would be to much work with resits but im worried universitys wont even consider me if i dont do another as. By the way i want to study orthoptics or diagnostic radiograhphy are these course competitive.
freddie88
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Resitting three modules isn't a lot; you can do them in January. I definitely recommend taking an AS. Have you looked at which unis you want to go to? Perhaps they take General Studies as an AS, in which case I'd advise taking that because it doesn't require much work and you should do very well in the science paper with your choice of subjects.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't think many universities actually require a 4th AS, but I expect they all prefer you to have one, especially the better universities, so if you don't have one, you could be at a disadvantage. I'd check the 'general entry requirements' section of the prospectus, as that should say how many units they expect. If you think you can handle the workload and it won't affect your other subjects, I'd say it'd be best to pick up another AS just to be on the safe side.
addict
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
start one, and wait until you get your university offers, and if the 4th AS is included, try and meet the offer, and if its excluded drop it. Lots of people did this in my school
Cessie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I've done 5 AS's (inc. gen studs this year) and I'm dropping gen studs. I also can't continue Law at my school so I'm left with 3. Therefore, I'm gonna take another AS along with my A2s...
luke88
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm in an even worse position...
I did take 3 AS Levels and General Studies, but I messed up an AS and got a grade U and I'm not resitting it. So I'll only have 2 proper A Levels, an AS in English Literature and General Studies for university.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by luke88)
I'm in an even worse position...
I did take 3 AS Levels and General Studies, but I messed up an AS and got a grade U and I'm not resitting it. So I'll only have 2 proper A Levels, an AS in English Literature and General Studies for university.
But if the universities you're looking at accept General Studies, it doesn't matter because as far as they're concerned, you'll have 3 A-levels and an AS
becke
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
I did my alevels including general studies, general studies was excluded from all my unis and all my offers only wanted 3 grades, and doing 5 alevels is ALOT of work, and i did finally get aabbb but my history teacher specifically said if i had only been doing 4 including general, i could have done better than a B, but he found i was way too strectched across the five towards the end to do better than a B. Id recommend you stay with the 3 you are doing, uni's only ask for 3 grades, but if you are having to resist modules i wouldnt recommend you take another on, because the others you are already do may suffer and you may not get the grades you want for uni anyway. If you are having to resist 3 modules, it suggests you are struggling as it is, dont put more weight on yourself.
znicz
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I think that il start doing physics as in yr 13 but will drop it if it is not included in my offer. HOw likeley are they to include an as result
twiga
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by znicz)
Hi im just wondering if people who only do 3 as levels are really dissadvantaged when it come to applying to university. I only did 3 as levels in yr 12(bio, chem, psychology) and need to resist 2 mods for chem(got an E) and 1 mod for biology. The head of year advised me not to do another as as it would be to much work with resits but im worried universitys wont even consider me if i dont do another as. By the way i want to study orthoptics or diagnostic radiograhphy are these course competitive.
I'd just stick with what you've got. No point in pressurising yourself when uni offers are based on 3 subjects, and for diagnostic radiography you only need 2 Cs at A2.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Don't worry, you would get offers to do your course, as most universities want 3 A-levels for entry. You will need carry them all onto A2. My friends done 3 AS-levels and carry them to A2, and they still got offers, and finally got accepted.

As other people said, do an extra AS instead of a full A-level. If you really want to do a full A-level, I would suggest applying for a deferred entry, and do the full A-level during your gap year. If you decide to do an extra AS, try to do them in January, so you the AS exams won't conflict with the A2 ones in June.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (1)
20%
Pro-humanity (4)
80%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise