the_hunter
Badges: 0
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
disadvantages of event driven programs?

cheers guys
Psyk
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 years ago
An "event driven program" could mean pretty much anything. You'll have to be more specific.
the_hunter
(Original post by Psyk)
An "event driven program" could mean pretty much anything. You'll have to be more specific.
oh right, sorry.

well if i could have an example and some advantages and disadvantages of it being an event driven program it would be highly useful friend.
Psyk
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by the_hunter)
oh right, sorry.

well if i could have an example and some advantages and disadvantages of it being an event driven program it would be highly useful friend.
As I said, an event driven program could be anything. I'm guessing you're asking this because it's a homework question or something. This question probably only makes sense in the context of what has been taught on that specific course.
the_hunter
(Original post by Psyk)
As I said, an event driven program could be anything. I'm guessing you're asking this because it's a homework question or something. This question probably only makes sense in the context of what has been taught on that specific course.

yeah it part of my coursework for btec, my prograaming unit the question states
"describe the key features of event driven programs." which i have done
"describe, with examples, typical uses and advantages of event driven program"

now i know a EDP needs something to trigger for the event to happen, could be time, click, whatever.

but i know the advantages, but im stuck on the disadvantages.

thanks for helping
dkdeath
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
My guess would be what are the disadvantages of using OOP progamed app with a real time gui making it event driven ?but then again disadvantge in which context and to who ?
the_hunter
disadvantage to the programmer really.
Psyk
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Ok, so by event driven really you mean UI based. I'll be honest, I guessed that was what you meant, but it's good practice to explain what you mean since words and phrases used in programming can be incredibly ambiguous.

The main disadvantage I can see is that your code may end up tightly coupled with the UI framework you're using. Say you make a program that does some kind of calculation. You would probably make a few text boxes for the user to input data, then a button that grabs those values and does the calculation when the user clicks on it. So far so good, but what if now you want to do the same calculations, but without the UI? You might need to do a whole batch of calculations where the data comes from a file. If your existing code is completely designed around the event driven UI system, you won't just be able to take that code and put it somewhere else, you'll have to rewrite it.

Also there's some types of applications that just don't make sense to write in an "event driven" way. For example most games will have some kind of physics simulation that needs to keep going regardless of what input the game is getting.
hajidel
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
one disadvantage of even driven program is that they are memory intensive
the_hunter
right, you lot are legends, thank you so much.
fucckthissite
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I'm trying to figure out an open-source program that happens to make extensive use of event-driven programming. One disadvantage is that it's very, very difficult to figure out where things actually happen. Conceptually, the program does certain things in a certain order, but within the program, it's just a bunch of handlers with no connection to each other, not even necessarily running in the same thread, and all any handler does is move some data around and alter a few flags to tell another handler what to do next.

Event-driven programming is a great way to write spaghetti code without using goto.

BTW, thanks TSR for letting me type all this out before informing me I have to register to post it. I promise you I will never visit this site again, and the e-mail address you got will generate no traffic for your advertisers.
Push_More_Button
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by fucckthissite)
BTW, thanks TSR for letting me type all this out before informing me I have to register to post it. I promise you I will never visit this site again, and the e-mail address you got will generate no traffic for your advertisers.
You posted in a thread that's over 5 years old...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.24%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.67%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.16%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.16%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (261)
48.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.34%

Watched Threads