Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Seen a few posts on here before about people applying for engineering at ox. I've got a place, much to my surprise... Anyone else in here got in for enginnering or a science type subject?

i guess uv all heard from them by now, so well done to everyone who's got in ,

mark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woodmeister)
    Seen a few posts on here before about people applying for engineering at ox. I've got a place, much to my surprise... Anyone else in here got in for enginnering or a science type subject?

mark
    I hope you like maths!!!

ReputationRep:

mark
    University subforum might be good for this... there's a thread about it.

Well done anyway.

I'm only a kid now, but what GCSE grades did you get to be accepted by Oxford for engineering? What A levels are you doing? What did you get in your ASes? I'm interested in engineering myself... or physics, I can't decide.

ReputationRep:
    sorry i was in the wrong forum by the way people, didn't see the university one.

but anyways, i got 4 A* 6A at GCSE, plus a stupid gnvq it.
    I'm doin F maths, maths, physics, phil at A level
    got a's in maths and physics, and b's in phil and chem at AS,

I'd give oxbridge a go when the time comes, as long as ur grades are reasonably good they'll give you an interview. It's all a bit of lottery really, but there's nothing to loose, apart from lots and lots of nervous energy

mark

ReputationRep:
    sorry i was in the wrong forum by the way people, didn't see the university one.

but anyways, i got 4 A* 6A at GCSE, plus a stupid gnvq it.
    I'm doin F maths, maths, physics, phil at A level
    got a's in maths and physics, and b's in phil and chem at AS,

I'd give oxbridge a go when the time comes, as long as ur grades are reasonably good they'll give you an interview. It's all a bit of lottery really, but there's nothing to loose, apart from lots and lots of nervous energy
    Wow, You chose the same AS-Levels I just did!!

(I assume "Phil" is philosophy)

What's philosophy like? Must be good, you stuck it.

Also what was your Record of Achievement like? How important do you think it is in the admissions process?

ReputationRep:
    philosophy ranges from good to just weird. The great thing about it is I can still write essays, which I'll need to do at uni, unlike all my science friends who didn't take an arts subject.

They've never seen my reccord of acheivement at oxford, so I don't think it's very important at all. The main thing is to put the achievements that need mentioning in your personal statement.

I forgot to say before, the only grades that really matter are your predicted A level grades, they pretty much ignore everything else. So make sure u get lots of suckin up to teachers in, lol, or maybe not.

mark

ReputationRep:
    philosophy ranges from good to just weird. The great thing about it is I can still write essays, which I'll need to do at uni, unlike all my science friends who didn't take an arts subject.

They've never seen my reccord of acheivement at oxford, so I don't think it's very important at all. The main thing is to put the achievements that need mentioning in your personal statement.

I forgot to say before, the only grades that really matter are your predicted A level grades, they pretty much ignore everything else. So make sure u get lots of suckin up to teachers in, lol, or maybe not.

mark
    you would think that official grades that you have earned would mean more than predicted grades - surely any eacher can write 3/4 A's on a form. no?

ReputationRep:

mark
    Lol thanks. But did you have loads of stuff in your RoA / Personal Statement?

Oh and does Philosophy ever stop being good? It makes you look clever I guess, pulling out philosophy books on the bus home from school.

ReputationRep:
    You'd be surprised, they seem to trust the teachers for some reason. They don't trust AS grades because of a general mistrust around how good a representation they'll be of your final result.

You spend loads of time talkin in philosophy, so how good it is depends on who else is in the class really. If like i had last year there's a couple of idiots who keep makin stupid points, it can become a bit monotonous.

There wasn't loads in my personal statement, basically you just convince them u like the subject. Put any subject related acheivements in , and the rest has to be squashed into a paragraph at the end.

mark

ReputationRep:
    You'd be surprised, they seem to trust the teachers for some reason. They don't trust AS grades because of a general mistrust around how good a representation they'll be of your final result.

You spend loads of time talkin in philosophy, so how good it is depends on who else is in the class really. If like i had last year there's a couple of idiots who keep makin stupid points, it can become a bit monotonous.

There wasn't loads in my personal statement, basically you just convince them u like the subject. Put any subject related acheivements in , and the rest has to be squashed into a paragraph at the end.

mark
    Ah, philosophy

But the retards make it fun, right? So as far as they know you're passionate about engineering.

ReputationRep:
    well yeah for the first couple of months, but you'd be surprised how quickly it wears off.

ReputationRep:
    What college woodmeister?

ReputationRep:
    St anne's.

What stage r u at?

mark

ReputationRep:
    moi? 1st year Biochemistry at Wadham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    you would think that official grades that you have earned would mean more than predicted grades - surely any eacher can write 3/4 A's on a form. no?
    I would say in terms of grades they look at AS grades achieved most closely, then predicted A-levels/GCSE.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.